Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rubber plug on WM-10 Wireless Module broke off.

cadman_us

Arrrgh, the rubber plug on my WM-10 Wireless Module broke off this weekend. Anybody have this problem?

Yup mine broke off about a month ago...I was just stuffing the plug back in there to keep the dust out, but finally lost the plug on a hunt. Bad design...We aren't the first...I've read of others breaking it off also.

Mine broke off as well. Minelab took care of it for me and replaced the rubber grommet.

GateKeeper said:
Mine broke off as well. Minelab took care of it for me and replaced the rubber grommet.
Did they just ship the part, or did you have to send in the WM10? Looks like it would be an easy replacement.

I sent it in.

Same here, I use a piece of gaffer's tape to keep it in place. I didn't want to have to waste time and money sending it in, only to have it happen again. Very poor design. But not big enough of a problem to me.

Sir Digs A Lot said:
I didn't want to have to waste time and money sending it in, only to have it happen again. Very poor design. But not big enough of a problem to me.
That was my thought as well. I use an old mini USB plug.

I'm glad you mentioned it. Mine came off after a few recharges too. It came off so easily I thought it was supposed to be a separate piece. I just pushed it back in and so far it has stayed in. Now I know to send it back after the ground freezes this winter.

Same thing with mine, but it does seem to snap back in tight, so till they tell us they have a new idea I guess we are all stuck with it, Gene

G. E. Edwards said:
so till they tell us they have a new idea I guess we are all stuck with it, Gene
Yup, no use sending it in until they come up with something that wont fatigue and break. IMO, silicone would have been much better than rubber. My wife has had an Otterbox iPhone case with silicone plugs, for over two years, with no sign of fatigue.

I'm doing the same as most of y'all, just pushing the broken plug back in. This will work until I lose it....:blink:

I know this is an old topic but I was looking for posts by others who have had problems with their WM10 wireless units and found this. Ive only had my 3030 since early Nov 2013, and the rubber cover broke off very early and eventually I lost it so have been covering it with tape.

But Ive been having bigger issues with the wireless unit early on, the sound volume will sometimes be so low its like its a million miles away, then cuts back in. Sometimes working in one ear but not the other. Ive cleaned it with an electric contact gleaner used for guitar amps and components called deoxit 5, but with only limited success.

Day before yesterday after cleaning it wad working better than it has in ages with good volume in both eatphone speakers and just occassionslly cutting out. But today, I can barely get any sound at all out of either side! When I unplug the headphones loud sound comes out of the wireless units speaker so now I am thinking the issue may be more related to the headphones than the WM10 unit.

When I plug the headphones directly into the jack on the detector I get no sound at all. I suppose next step will be to try different headphones in both the jack on the detector and the wireless unit and see if that solves the problem.

Its a shame to have these kinds of problems with such a "high end" detector...

I will create a new topic for my question if I cant find one already existing.

McClod said:
Ive only had my 3030 since early Nov 2013, and the rubber cover broke off very early and eventually I lost it so have been covering it with tape.

But Ive been having bigger issues with the wireless unit early on, the sound volume will sometimes be so low its like its a million miles away, then cuts back in. Sometimes working in one ear but not the other. Ive cleaned it with an electric contact gleaner used for guitar amps and components called deoxit 5, but with only limited success.

Day before yesterday after cleaning it wad working better than it has in ages with good volume in both eatphone speakers and just occassionslly cutting out. But today, I can barely get any sound at all out of either side! When I unplug the headphones loud sound comes out of the wireless units speaker so now I am thinking the issue may be more related to the headphones than the WM10 unit.

When I plug the headphones directly into the jack on the detector I get no sound at all. I suppose next step will be to try different headphones in both the jack on the detector and the wireless unit and see if that solves the problem.

Its a shame to have these kinds of problems with such a "high end" detector...

Based on your explanation, I'd agree that the issue is likely related to your headphones. Not the "high end" detector. Are you using the Koss headphones that came with your CTX3030? If not, there may be a compatibility issue with your headphones (must be stereo). It could also be due to the plug not fitting tightly in the jacks. Or, the wires could be shorting out in the plug area. Do you notice it more when you pull on the cord or rotate the plug? Keep us posted and we'll try to help you figure this out. JMHO HH Randy

Thanks Randy! I appreciate any help I can get. I too believe its related to the headphones after fiddling around with them, more so than the detector. I was referring to the headphones and wm10 that come with the detector. But before I jump to any conclusions I'm trying to isolate the issue and unfortunately I don't have another set of headphones with the correct jack to mate with but all I buy are stereo headphones.

I did check out the connection for headphones that is on the detector itself, and when I plugged the stock Moss headphones into the detector I got sound through the headphones and directly from the detectors speaker as well so I guess I need to check my manual on how to disable the speaker built into the detector.

I did take the check mark out of the "enable wireless" box before I plugged into the detector. I also went through the process of re"enabling" wireless then reconnecting to the wm10 but same problem existed. So there must also be a propped method of disabling the detectors speaker when headphones are plugged into the jack.

I think I will go buy an inexpensive set of headphones to plug into my wireless unit to see if that will correct the issue of sound not making it to the headphones through the wireless unit to the headphones.

Please forgive typo's as I am typing on a kindle. Once I try a different set of headphones I will report back here with my findings. If headphones are the issued Ill order a quality set of waterproof headphones.

I appreciate your help Randy! I could live with detecting without headphones.

If it ends up being your KOSS headphones, you should get them replaced under warranty. But in the meantime, before you go spend money on another set of headphones.....remember that the audio settings for the detector

my headphones were intermittent, i tried my etrac phones they worked fine. tried the crappy headphones in my friends ctx and it wasnt working. contacted minelab and they sent me a new set, didnt even have to send them the old ones.

My hatch hasn't broken off, as yet, but, I did have a problem with the charging circuit in my first unit. Minelab was very quick to send me another WM10 at no cost and I didn't even have to send the old one back! That might indicate something about how much they are actually worth. I do plan to take the old one apart to see what sort of battery it contains and if there is an aftermarket battery that could be used when the OEM battery gives up the ghost.

I did notice from the very first charging that the charging port hatch seemed to be overly stressed in order to gain access to the socket, so, I have not been bending it back any more than needed to get the USB plug in place. I can see where, even taking these precautions, that the hatch is going to break at some point in the future. I'm guessing temperature would be a factor in its' breaking, as well. No doubt, a properly hinged or sliding door would be preferable to the existing arrangement. It's not like the unit is waterproof anyway, so most any kind of closure would be better than having to bend it for access.

I'll post back with the battery info after I have investigated my other one.....unless someone already has knowledge of what is powering the unit??