Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Running All Metal in Beach mode

MassSaltH2O

Hi. Does anyone have any info about running All metal in Beach mode? I always thot that All metal was all everything, except not having any particular mode. Thanks.

I am not an expert so my opinion is beach mode has defaults like other modes you can select.
All metal in any mode means no descrimination and supposedly goes deeper.
I am not certain if your notched out items are open in all metal. I’ll have to read up on that or test in field next time I am out.

Tony NJ

You need to re-read your user manual. Each mode changes HOW the detector operates. The only true "all metal" is in the prospecting modes, everything else is simple an accept/reject of VDI responses.

I’ve done around15 beach hunts and I turn the horseshoe on. It helps me know if a false high tone is iron. I’ve also found a lot of deep targets listening for a single blip tone that is not repeatable and locating with pinpointer, then after a scoop the detector hits it. Good luck!

Piedmont, I mostly do the same. When my old brain remembers to dig those fast not ones, it usually is a coin.
I too use the pinpointed and dig in that direction until no sound on pin pointer.

Tony NJ

Jason in Enid said:
You need to re-read your user manual. Each mode changes HOW the detector operates. The only true "all metal" is in the prospecting modes, everything else is simple an accept/reject of VDI responses.

Hi Jason. I read my manual all the time. I even take notes. But I haven't seen anything in the manual about running in all metal in Beach mode. In fact, I am confident that there is no mention of running All metal in Beach mode in the whole user manual.
Everything is simply an accept/reject of VDI responses?
I believe you, but what does this mean? Accept/reject what? Accept/reject all metals? I don't get it.

Piedmontartifacts said:
I’ve done around15 beach hunts and I turn the horseshoe on. It helps me know if a false high tone is iron. I’ve also found a lot of deep targets listening for a single blip tone that is not repeatable and locating with pinpointer, then after a scoop the detector hits it. Good luck!

Thanks Piedmont. I imagine you were in Beach mode?
This is the first time I have heard of running All metal in Beach mode. Btw, How can you tell if a false high tone is iron? Thanks. Good luck to you too.

BigTony said:
I am not an expert so my opinion is beach mode has defaults like other modes you can select.
All metal in any mode means no descrimination and supposedly goes deeper.
I am not certain if your notched out items are open in all metal. I’ll have to read up on that or test in field next time I am out.

Tony NJ

Hi Tony. Of course Beach mode has defaults like all the other modes do. What defaults are you referring to? I don't follow you.
If All metal means all metal in any mode, as you suggest, and I also believe this, then there can't be any discrimination, there can't be any notched out items (TDIs), and there can't be any accept/reject. All metal is metal. Right? So All metal in any mode should effectively disable any mode, I would imagine. All metals are metal in a park, just like metals in a field are all metals. Or so it would seem. This is why I asked the question. I guess we need to ask Minelab about this. Thanks.

MassSaltH2O said:

Hi Jason. I read my manual all the time. I even take notes. But I haven't seen anything in the manual about running in all metal in Beach mode. In fact, I am confident that there is no mention of running All metal in Beach mode in the whole user manual.
I believe you, but what does this mean? Accept/reject what? Accept/reject all metals? I don't get it.

The only TRUE all-metal mode on the EQX is prospecting. Every other mode its all pre-modulated and processed and interpreted. You can either allow or reject a portion of the scale a target falls on. Even if you say "accept all targets" you really aren't. You only get to hear the ones that meet the parameters of falling on the VDI scale.

Old school metal detectors , when you turned off discrimination, you heard everything. It didnt matter if it was a coin, a stack of coins, a boiler plate or a tank. If the detector could physically get a return signa, you heard it. Not now. Thats why a stack of silver dollars goes silent, or big iron goes silent. The machine can no longer interpret the signal so it just blanks. This isnt unique to the EQX though, lots of modern digital detector suffer the same problem. Its the downside to that razor edge of determining good coins and mix iron or in bad soil.

Jason in Enid said:

The only TRUE all-metal mode on the EQX is prospecting. Every other mode its all pre-modulated and processed and interpreted. You can either allow or reject a portion of the scale a target falls on. Even if you say "accept all targets" you really aren't. You only get to hear the ones that meet the parameters of falling on the VDI scale.

Old school metal detectors , when you turned off discrimination, you heard everything. It didnt matter if it was a coin, a stack of coins, a boiler plate or a tank. If the detector could physically get a return signa, you heard it. Not now. Thats why a stack of silver dollars goes silent, or big iron goes silent. The machine can no longer interpret the signal so it just blanks. This isnt unique to the EQX though, lots of modern digital detector suffer the same problem. Its the downside to that razor edge of determining good coins and mix iron or in bad soil.

Wow! So All metal isn't really "all metal". I didn't know this. This is what was throwing me off. I was thinking, All metal means all metal, regardless of mode. I guess they should of called All metal "most metal". :blink:

By defaults I meant factory presets.
Yeah, I would love Minelab to chime in on all metal.
I can’t get out to test - busy for a few days but loves reading your reply’s.

Tony NJ

MassSaltH2O said:
Hi. Does anyone have any info about running All metal in Beach mode? I always thot that All metal was all everything, except not having any particular mode. Thanks.

Don't do it/ period! The all metal mode on my saltwater beach is WAY too chatty and gives WAY to many false signals. A BETTER way is to hunt in your normal disc modes and when in doubt switch to "all metal" to confirm. Your time will be well wasted chasing way too many signals, while not being able to concentrate on targets you need to hear.

Dave

Referring to Jason's quote . If in prospect mode you still get VDI of all targets that's a # on the scale same as the other modes . Well that signal in prospect mode is still being processed . I always thought that all metal was the raw unprocessed signal .

Setting ground balance to 0 which minelab recommends for all modes ( how can that work) unless muti freakers use muti frequency to eliminate ground noise as a way of continually monitoring the ground same can be said of the CTX and other minelabs .

So does it have true all metal or is it a hybrid of sorts :confused: sube

Hi MassSaltH2O

You and I have already had this discussion on this forum. This is why I wish Minelab had not called the horseshoe button the "All Metal" button. To the best of my knowledge all the horseshoe button does as already stated by several on this topic is act as a very convenient shortcut between whatever preset mode you are using or have customized (for example default Beach 1) and the same mode (Beach 1) with no numerical segments discriminated so any target signal received throughout the entire target ID range from -9 to +40 will be audible and displayed as a number. That is all it does. It does not take you into another mode, it does not get you anymore depth, it just make it possible to hear any detectable target that is under the coil. So, you would get the same result if you went into default Beach 1, hit the settings button 6 times and the accept/reject button along with the plus button 9 times and accept all targets between -9 and -1. That would take awhile. That is what the horseshoe button is for and it does it instantaneously.

I am a part-time gold prospector. From my experience and from talking to some outstanding professional prospectors in the SW USA, what Sube is hinting at is correct. There is NO TRUE ALL METAL MODE on the Equinox 800, period. Gold 1 and Gold 2 are mixed hybrid modes. The only thing that even slightly resembles true all metal mode is the threshold tone in Gold 1 and Gold 2. It does more than just null on discriminated targets. It does give a good indication of changing ground noise and the stability or not of the current ground balance setting. It is not tied into the target tone itself however. They are separate which is different from true all metal mode where the threshold tone and the target tone are one in the same in the classic sense. Otherwise, the gold modes have way too many awesome features that take it far away from true all metal like; volume adjustment, sensitivity adjustment, accept/reject discrimination, actual normalized VDI numbers, target tone adjustment, threshold tone adjustment, iron bias adjustment, recovery speed adjustment, automatic ground balance tracking, the amazing horseshoe button feature, depth meter, pinpointer!!!! and most importantly simultaneous multi frequency operation. There is also something really incredible happening in the -9 to -5 range when it comes to hot rocks. You just don't hear them if you disc out those numbers which makes gold prospecting a dream with a VLF detector.

Jeff

Oh, I forgot about noise cancelling which is huge in prospecting.

Jeff

midalake said:

Don't do it/ period! The all metal mode on my saltwater beach is WAY too chatty and gives WAY to many false signals. A BETTER way is to hunt in your normal disc modes and when in doubt switch to "all metal" to confirm. Your time will be well wasted chasing way too many signals, while not being able to concentrate on targets you need to hear.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Perfect advice. Thanks again.

MassSaltH2O said:
midalake said:

Dave

Thanks Dave. Perfect advice. Thanks again.

A few things to add: When working in all metal in beach 2 [wetsand] I found it necessary to drop the sensitivity 1-2 from where I could work in discrimination. In all metal when the Nox is around moving saltwater it completely falls on its face. Almost no detection available. When moving saltwater hits the coil in Disc. mode it is better but not by much, I will have more on this in the future..

I for one really appreciate those who take time to responsibly offer sincere feedback to questions about the operation of the Equinox. Answers like, “ you need to re-read the manual” contribute nothing to anyone, and are less than supportive.

JMHO.

Greg (E.Tn) said:
I for one really appreciate those who take time to responsibly offer sincere feedback to questions about the operation of the Equinox. Answers like, “ you need to re-read the manual” contribute nothing to anyone, and are less than supportive.

JMHO.

For the majority of "how do I" questions, there is nothing substantial that can be added beyond what Minelab has already put into the user manual. How many times should we parrot the user manual in a forum?

The manual is very well written, but the manual doesn’t always answer a question as well as experience in the field does.

That’s the kind is assistance most are hoping for when they ask a question on the forum — not a snide remark to go back and reread the manual.

Just my two cents.