Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Running channel 11 at max sensitivity

hydrodog

Today at a very small beach I switched to channel 11 and maxed out the sensitivity to 30 just to see if it worked as I had heard, and I got a 01=06 signal and dug it up to find a .old .22 shell casing at 15" . Deepest small target I have ever dug. I seems that at greater depths the fe-co wanders a bit but the E Trac does hit it.I plan on using this setting more at neutral sand sites because it seems to go deep.

No picture of the .22 casing???? I can't recall ever seeing one.... :poke::laugh:. They always seem to hit about 06 Conductive in Nebraska too.

NebTrac

That's pretty deep. I've found 22 cal CW bullet that took me forever to find with the pinpointer. It was so small I thought I would never find it.

I am going to my local park early tomorrow morning where I have pulled IH's at 10+" and I am going to try this channel 11 depth thing...I'll let you know how it worked

gunwolf said:
I am going to my local park early tomorrow morning where I have pulled IH's at 10+" and I am going to try this channel 11 depth thing...I'll let you know how it worked

Can someone fill me in on this Channel 11 max sensitivity thing? I read a lot of posts and haven't heard of this before. Very interested!

The e trac when switched to channel 11 and maxed out on 30 on neutral soils can detect an item deeper than the FECO can register a number to it. I am not sure how much has been discussed here about it but whenever I can max the e trac out I always try channel 11. Channel 11 hits low conducters better in my opinion and I have found two gold rings using this setting and digging the low tones on neutral soil. The soil must be close to neutral or alot of falsing will occur. I also use black widow headphones to be able to hear small peeps when hunting deep.

That is funny as my ground is mild and almost always end up on 11 when I noise cancel. Also do you like the Black Widows? I was going to try them ,But they look thicker and bulky compared to my Killer Bees. I like stream lined headphones as much as possible.

I really like the black widows, the down side is that you can not hear any ambient noises. I have had people surprise me by standing next to me talking,never heard them approach.You can hear very faint small peeps from deep targets.

Does anyone know why channel 11 is different from the others? Just curious as my usual grounds can't handle any where near max sens but I usually wind up in 9 or 6 after a noise cancel. Correct me if I'm wrong but the channels are just different frequency step intervals across the available band and then it functions on the three best. Wondering why it would do better.

well after a 3 hour hunt this morning using the channel 11 , with sens. at 28 I dug nothing deeper than 8"...but the ground was extremely dry! I may try this again when the ground is a little softer(wet).
I did manage 4 wheats, 1 IH, 2 1958 canadian pennies, and 1 silver washington. so I cannot say if it works better or not, I'm still out on this one.

I thought the purpose of the noise cancel was to allow the detector (in automatic) or the operator (in manual) to select the channel with the least interference from EMI or another detector. It would seem that the channel that gives you the least interference would allow you to have the greatest sensitivity and depth, at least from the standpoint of being able to discern a good signal from noise. So why would channel 11 be more special than any other channel?

I saw a video where a guy with an Exp.II, used a frequency scanner to see what transmit freq. each channel used. If I remember right , channel one started around 14.4 , and went up in increments of .2 Khz for each channel , ending at 16.2, I believe, for channel 11. The higher freq is better for small targets and the lower channel freqs. would be better for depth in theory. Higher freq would have a harder time getting depth in mineralized soil than lower freq, and so forth. I cant find the video now , but it was on youtube I think. Also he was using a freq checker that looked kinda like a Fluke meter , that he held next to the coil , and it gave a digital display of the freq. as he changed the channel on the metal detector. I have not seen another one of those hand held freq checkers anywhere else , so , I don't know for sure, but it looked believable to me. Any way I have been trying channel eleven for my last few hunts and have got silver in places I thought were clean, but that really doesn't mean anything , because silver is where you find it, right ?
Before someone asks, I would say that the explorer transmits its 28 freq. within each one of these subsets of freq. Like for channel 1 , it would be 14.41, 14.43, 14.44, ect. Thats the way I understand it, but I could and might be wrong. If I am , don't beat me up too bad, because I don't care ,as long as it gets the good, hard to find targets, everyone else leaves behind.

Hmmm' here's a different take but then he's hunting euro coins. Don't know if that makes a difference.

http://www.minelab.com/treasure-talk/e-trac-manual-versus-auto-features-for-expert-users

Looked around the net some more and this seems very interesting. Going to have to try switching through channels on some deeper targets and seeing what happens. One guy experimenting with it saw small changes on VDI's and saw deep targets disappear on certain channels. Seems to have a lot to do with soil and target types. Rumor is channel 4 may be better for gold while the higher channels do better for silver. Worth experimenting with for sure, thanks for bringing this up!

A guy by the name Digs_alot experimented alot with various channels and he has more gold than anybody else I have seen. It seems that lower channels hit the higher conducters better and higher channels hit lower conducters better. Earthmansurfer may enlighten us some on this subject,he is using the CTX now though.