Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rusty Bottle Caps

TN Mike

For what its worth I've noticed that rusty bottle caps cause the mineral meter to spike by bobbing the coil over them. This maybe common knowledge?

A quarter, dime and copper pennies don't move the mineral meter at all. Thus thwarting high VDI/Toning rusty bottle caps.

Maybe this will help someone.. helped me..

I have not tried bobbing but when just sweeping that quarters do cause the mineralization bars to spike. More when they are flat and when on edge mine spikes at least half way up from normally 3 bars showing. Quarters spike higher if on flat or on edge and parallel to the centerline of the coil. If perpendicular to the centerline not so much and signal is weaker. A rusty quarter will always spike higher on the scale compared to a clean quarter, and can mimic a bottle cap quite well. I don't mind being fooled and find out it is a lowly bottle cap. It won't fool me twice!!

Ha, well I'm wrong then. I've not noticed this with anything but bottle caps and flat iron so far.

Thanks for your input, I'll keep testing.

Charles (Upstate NY) said:
Is the DEUS notch discrimination solely based on conductivity? In other words can you notch out bottle caps?

Well a per own could notch out caps.
You'll likely lose some coins though by doing.
Not all caps read the same either,,,so that a problem too.

Notch as it relates to conductivy,,,yes and no.
Shallower and mid depth targets yes, deeper no.

For example you can sweep a nickel in 12khz, I think they read 56.

You can then notch say 55-57, and sweep around and yes many shallow and midepth Nickes will be knocked out tonally.
But if you come over say a 8" deep, or 9" deep nickel ,,,tonally it will come through likely.
And give higher than " true" Vdi (meter reading) like 98,, can even be blank.

Cheers

squirrel1 said:
Is the DEUS notch discrimination solely based on conductivity? In other words can you notch out bottle caps?

You can then notch say 55-57, and sweep around and yes many shallow and midepth Nickes will be knocked out tonally.
But if you come over say a 8" deep, or 9" deep nickel ,,,tonally it will come through likely.

Cheers

How about the new 4.0 Deus X,Y display, any significant difference between a coin and crown cap on that screen?

squirrel1 said:

Cheers

How about the new 4.0 Deus X,Y display, any significant difference between a coin and crown cap on that screen?

Yes.
Caps will make display look haywire.
But iron near coin can make screen look haywire too.

Coil position method works pretty good on the shallow caps.
Pull back and watch signs drop or turn iron sounding.

squirrel1 said:
I can certainly beleive that.
This euro beer caps, have some nicer quality metal in them.

I just noticed that today. Had a perfect quarter signal in all respects, spent extra time digging, got a euro beer cap.

:rage:

Lower freq on Deus caps have better chance of sounding crappier.
Higher freqs less so.

Raising coil, caps drop out faster than good metal target.
Moving coil fore and aft, as edges of coil are approached caps drop out, vs coins etc.

Also, caps can provide same or similar meter reading tid wise when changing freqs,,,key though turn Vdi normalization off.
Coins will drop meter reading wise as freq is lowered.

squirrel1 said:
Higher freqs less so.

Moving coil fore and aft, as edges of coil are approached caps drop out, vs coins etc.

Also, caps can provide same or similar meter reading tid wise when changing freqs,,,key though turn Vdi normalization off.

So I should buy various brands of beer to test caps, excellent...ah well ah what I mean is its in the interest of scientific study. :biggrin:

squirrel1 said:
Higher freqs less so.

So I should buy various brands of beer to test caps, excellent...ah well ah what I mean is its in the interest of scientific study. :biggrin:

Might be fastest way to check all the assorted out there. Lol. Maybe not the cheapest way.