Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

sad day for TESORO

Been detecting since 1986 and hav owned many detectors ,including TESORO, i often read many posts andI, learned suddenly the company laid off the majority of the workers.
I, hope they are restructuring, but that does not look like that.
good machine , great in iron

Out.

Empty parking lot, phones don’t answer, emails, even from dealers - not answered.....

The saddest part is for the dealers and those who hold a life time warranty that BOUGHT in good faith.
Not a word from the Head honcho left at Tesoro. Someone lacks some serious common sense to its
Patrons. Not very upstanding in my opinion. I own a Silver sabre u-max and Eldo.u-max and will
always treasure them as they are fine machines. Glad I sent them in a couple years ago before
the BIG FOLD... R.I.P. Tesoro
silverseeker 2

I have been watching "for sale" Tesoros online. I see fewer and fewer every day. At some point, the demand will exceed inventories. I have already noticed a lot of "out of stock" detectors in the largest retailers websites. If Tesoro does not start up production to meet the demands, then I will recognize and acknowledge their downfall. If they go down, then certainly others will follow. Another scenario that I have noticed in the past 20 years or so is, fewer younger folks are getting into this hobby. I have a 31 year old child and a 29 year old child who could care less about metal detecting. Their hobbies are Facebook, Twitter, and all the other social media waste of time. Even during our Christmas gathering, these kids, mine and many nephews and nieces could not put their cell phones down for even a few short hours. So, how is it, that these kids can dedicate hours into metal detecting? In my opinion, they can't, it's not in their social media DNA. In closing, I wonder how many more companies will go under?

Bulletman

Shalom

bulletman said:
I have been watching "for sale" Tesoros online. I see fewer and fewer every day. At some point, the demand will exceed inventories. I have already noticed a lot of "out of stock" detectors in the largest retailers websites. If Tesoro does not start up production to meet the demands, then I will recognize and acknowledge their downfall. If they go down, then certainly others will follow. Another scenario that I have noticed in the past 20 years or so is, fewer younger folks are getting into this hobby. I have a 31 year old child and a 29 year old child who could care less about metal detecting. Their hobbies are Facebook, Twitter, and all the other social media waste of time. Even during our Christmas gathering, these kids, mine and many nephews and nieces could not put their cell phones down for even a few short hours. So, how is it, that these kids can dedicate hours into metal detecting? In my opinion, they can't, it's not in their social media DNA. In closing, I wonder how many more companies will go under?

Bulletman

Shalom
You sure got it right . Semper Fi Vet

Where would I find the info that this is not Tesoro’s first shutdown? Certainly the first I have heard anyone suggest that.

osted by: dirthunter [ Send a Message ]
Date: October 13, 2018 09:15AM
I contacted Kellyco and they said that they(Tesoro) are still open for repairs and distributions! They have laid off the factory staff and that they have done this a couple of times before. At least that's what they said. Beyond that I don't know.

This seems to be a real shutdown, not just a production stop. Local folks in Prescott have driven by and see no activity of any kind at the address on White Spar Road. No one has reported being able to contact them by phone or email.

Octobe 13 was six weeks ago - ——

bulletman said:

Bulletman

Shalom
Not only that but favorite "quickie" spots like schools, parks are either fencing others out or placing restrictions on the public. They put up with their public facilities being damaged, but punish careful hunters disturbing a grass blade!

There are only two entities in my opinion who can save the analog legacy of Tesoro. Kellyco and/or First Texas. I would think they know of the fandom Tesoro still has.

The cost of all that future lifetime warranty work on nearly 40 years worth of machines is a lot for a prospective buyer to take on.

There is nothing of value there.

No marketable intellectual property - patents, etc.
Any stock on hand, parts, finished units, etc are probably worth less than the likely unpaid bills to suppliers, etc.
Very small dealer network and probably all of them are already dealers of many other brands
No meaningful social media presence
Manufacturing equipment likely at least somewhat outdated.

Kellyco just sold and closed all their retail operations - online only from now on from a wharehouse in KY.
First Texas already has the whole market, domestic and international with their three brands - Fisher, Teknetics and Bounty Hunter.

mrwilburino said:
The cost of all that future lifetime warranty work on nearly 40 years worth of machines is a lot for a prospective buyer to take on.

I bought a car from a friend and the tint job had a lifetime warranty. The tint was messed up and since the car was still in friend's name I called on behalf of her to see about warranty coverage. They told me yes the name was the same but new owners and "different company" and they were not honoring the warranty so probably a way around in a reorg or buyout but sure not to please owners of the machines....

Back in the day when I was young and still lived in the snow belt. There were automotive rust proofing company's, Ziebart and Rusty Jones who also gave life time warranties. Define [ LIFE TIME [ Is it the life of your car or the company. Batteries and brakes were also sold with life time warranties. Remember back in the good old days.

lytle78 said:
There is nothing of value there.

No marketable intellectual property - patents, etc.
Any stock on hand, parts, finished units, etc are probably worth less than the likely unpaid bills to suppliers, etc.
Very small dealer network and probably all of them are already dealers of many other brands
No meaningful social media presence
Manufacturing equipment likely at least somewhat outdated.

Kellyco just sold and closed all their retail operations - online only from now on from a wharehouse in KY.
First Texas already has the whole market, domestic and international with their three brands - Fisher, Teknetics and Bounty Hunter.

Kellyco only had one store front, over 90% of Kellyco's sales were on the net. They ship from their fulfillment center in Knoxville.

Thanks for the Kco info. I am curious about the staff - the folks who I used to get on the phone when I called. Were they in FL? Are they still around?