Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sadly, Jack Gifford has passed away

Rainyday101

Sad news. I was just on the Tesoro website and see that Jack Gifford passed away on Jan. 3rd. My prayers and sympathy to the Gifford family.

Condolences to the Gifford family.
May his legacy live on.

Condolences to all of his family and the team at Tesoro.

Oh Man...Condolences to the Giffords, the Tesoro team and for all of great friends here and in the World..
Mud

I only heard the news several hours ago.

Jack was involved with several metal detector companies in the 1970's (including Fisher) before he formed his own company Tesoro about 1980. Every company in the business that sticks around for a while does so by figuring out what they do best that the other companies don't do so well. In the 1980's while other companies were pushing basic technology, Jack's approach was to develop a deep understanding of how the so-called "two-filter" (i.e. second derivative) discriminator that revolutionized metal detection in the early 1980's works in the field and to master this technology which continues to be the backbone of VLF metal detector design to this very day, all the way from our own BH Junior to the F75. Jack's goal was never "hottest", it was figuring out how to dial the number between the user's ears and the response of the machine to the targets in the ground.

Jack also did his own thing when it comes to distribution. He was very big on the concept of supporting the local dealer, a business model that is difficult to sustain nowadays what with the Internet, but to his credit he made it work for him until it was time to cave in. It earned him a great deal of respect in the industry.

Another thing he did, was to create models that had been tweaked specifically for European relic hunting conditions. For a while, Tesoro with its emphasis on good iron rejection was the hot setup especially in England.

Somewhere about 1990, I'm not sure exactly when, he tooled up a plastic housing for a meter. It had circuitry that had to be powered, so the plastic housing had a battery compartment. And since the whole thing was just for a meter, not for an entire metal detector, it was very compact. I don't remember what model it went to. ........One day he got the wild-ass idea of cramming an entire metal detector inside the thing, and the rest is history-- the MicroMax series. This was before surface mount assembly had gotten popular, and hybrid technology was how you shrunk stuff. Thanks to his connections in England, he found a fellow there who was capable of producing hybrid technology PC boards at consumer (not military) costs, and thus for several years Tesoro was the only metal detector company ever to have produced machines using hybrid technology.

In early 1995 I'd seen the handwriting on the wall at Fisher, and went looking for a job elsewhere. Jack hired me and I moved beautiful Prescott, Arizona. Although a competent engineer in his own right, he didn't try to micromanage me, he outlined basic goals and established the limitations on how those goals could be met. The rest was up to me. During my 2 years working for Jack, I designed the Diablo uMax and the Lobo ST. Although the Diablo uMax is one of my personal all-time favorite designs, it didn't do well in the market and was discontinued. Several years ago Jim Straight gave to me as a gift his personal Diablo uMax, which I still have. Meanwhile the Lobo ST established itself in the market as America's answer to Minelab's singlefreaker gold machines, and 18 years later it is still a respected product still being manufactured.

My favorite "Jack story" was shortly before we were about to release the Lobo ST. He got a call from Minelab, their lawyer told him that we better scrap the project because after all, they had the patent on "ground tracking" and would have to sue us. Jack told the _____ (was that four letters?) that we didn't infringe their patent. The ____ told Jack, "Our engineer says there's only way it can be done, and that's what we've got patented." Jack told the ____ that we'd call back shortly. [BTW, I don't believe that Bruce Candy actually told the cuss that, it was a bluff.] ...... So Jack and I pow-wowed for about half an hour pooling what we knew about ground tracking. And then he called back. "We know six different ways that don't infringe the Minelab patent. If you want to know which of those six ways we did it, as soon as it's released just buy yourself one and knock yourself out." That was the end of that.

In early 1997 I left Tesoro and Vince Gifford came aboard as the company engineer sharing that part of the job with Jack. After that time I don't have "inside dope" regarding Jack and Tesoro. I do know that at some point he retired from the business leaving it to his family to run. I leave it to others to tell that part of the story if they wish to do so.

For over half a century, Jack and his company Tesoro have been major players in the metal detector industry. Jack was one of the engineering and later CEO greats of that era. If he hadn't helped keep Fisher alive during the late 1970's, I wouldn't have had a job there in 1981 and wouldn't have had a job with Tesoro in 1995. He played by his own set of rules and survived an era that pretty much shook out the other "Mom & Pop" operations. He understood that he was part of an entire industry and cared how the industry as a whole fared. Even as a competitor for most of that time, Jack and his company Tesoro earned my respect and I regarded them as essential participants in the industry "ecosystem" in which the rest of us operate.

Thank you, Jack, for your contributions to the hobby and to the industry, and for having kept food on my table for a critical two years of my life. Thank you, folks at Tesoro, for carrying on after Jack retired, and may you still carry on. .

--Dave Johnson

My condolences to the Gifford family and to everyone at Tesoro. Thank you Jack for your dedication to the hobby and for all your hard work developing the most excellent Tesoro detector. R.I.P.

Jack was my hero as a kid. I was 13 and had a royal saber. The Teacher took my Tesoro news letter magazine once since it was " not approved" class material. Later that month he gave it back and whispered to me " I got the toltec 100 and I am going to find it all" However I showed him by bringing in my shielded nickel and three cent piece that I found on the school grounds with my Saber. No matter what, Tesoro will hold a special place to me.

HH
Jason

Sad news indeed. Here was a Great man in the World of detecting. Nothing but Respect for a guy that made great products
and kept his business in the "Ol US of America. Kept Customer Satisfaction at the Top of his list!!! Even took care of Customers
that didn't Originally buy their Tesoro 1rst hand. Now that's Service.... My Condolences to the Family and Tesoro.

Yes, Condolences to the Giffords and may God bless and comfort there family during this difficult time.

Bill G

David J.

That was a great story on your personal experience with Jack Gifford, the man was truly a legend. My heart goes out to the Jack Gifford family, may God watch over and comfort you as you go through this hardship.

Dave J
That was a great tribute to Jack Gifford.
Condolances to his family

Joe Z said:
Dave J
That was a great tribute to Jack Gifford.
Condolances to his family

Can't agree more.............he lives on in all of us who own, has owned and use a Tesoro.
We'll continue to find treasure for him................

He was a blessing to many, people

Its very sad new to hear that Jack Gifford has passed away,a true legend in detecting development,out of interest how old was Jack Gifford ???

Sorry to hear that Mr. Gifford has passed on. He sure made some fine detectors.

Dave J. Thanks for sharing your experiences and observations about Jack Gifford.

Wonder it that post could be made a sticky for a while on this forum?

Condolences to the Gifford family and everyone at Tesoro.