Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sadly, Jack Gifford has passed away

Praying for his family,now he can look down at all of his Tesoro users and smile. Thanks for all your gifts you gave us Jack.

My prayers go out to the Gifford family.
Mr Gifford ,had the right idea on on how to make some awesome meal detectors from concept to build to the use to the sell and to stand behind everything with a lifetime warranty. That says a lot for the man and the company.
But I have something else that I would like to thank him for
I remember reading in one of Tesoros
old METAL
DETECTOR
INFORMATION (MDI) mags that Mr Gifford once took a two week motorcycle trip on the “blue ridge parkway” he made it sound so cool and fun hat I had to give it a try .It is 450 miles of perfect motorcycle roads. I have made that trip many times since and ever time would think of Mr Gifford .

That is sad news...my thoughts and prayers are with the Gifford family, and the staff at Tesoro who knew and worked with Jack.

Those of us who have, or have had Tesoro detectors have tangible contact with a significant part of metal detecting history. Dave Johnson's tribute to Jack Gifford is testament to the honorable and creative intentions and coduct of some of the "leaders" of our great hobby. (The Tesoro magazine "Metal Detecting Information" is another example of the Gifford ideology of honesty and good practice in metal detecting, selling and using, with emphasis on the family working together).

It can only be hoped that the work and enthusiasm of people such as Jack Gifford will be maintained by those working in the industry, and by those of us who love and enjoy this hobby.

I met Jack in the early 80's at their shop in Phoenix. Shortly after I purchased the Silver Sabre and life hasn't been the same. My heart goes out to the entire family.

God's speed Jack.:cry:

I want to thank other people who have posted some of the other things I failed to mention previously that made Tesoro a strong company: the lifetime warranty, the dedication to customer service, that metal detecting "newspaper" Jack used to publish periodically that was about the whole hobby, not just Tesoro products (sorry, I don't remember the name of the mag but it was good reading). And since I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, Jack's hiring of Rusty Henry in repair department. Rusty was one of those people you can't just go out and find, you have to luck out and know when you've just gotten lucky.

Just remembered one of my other favorite Jack Gifford stories.

A gal had bought a midrange Tesoro and for some reason wasn't happy and sent it back for "repair or replacement". Nothing actually wrong with the machine. Sent her another new machine. She was an unhappy camper again. He sent her a more expensive model to replace the one she had. She sent that one back, too. With a bunch of complaints that revealed a problem between the ears of the customer, not between the ears of the searchcoil.

Anyone who's worked in customer service for a while recognizes the pattern. Some people, the only thing that can make them happy is to be unhappy. In customer service, such customers are called "toads". [Any toad customers reading this, now you know what you're called after you've hung up the telephone.]

Jack calls her up. "We're proud of our reputation for delivering good value and for customer service. I want you to be happy. So out of my own pocket, I'll give you any metal detector you want for less than $1,000. With one limitation. It can't be a Tesoro. She decided on a White's Spectrum, and Jack bought one and shipped it to her.

About 6 months later, Jack gets a call from Alan Holcombe (then marketing manager of White's). "Jack, what have you done to me?"

Sad to hear of Mr. Giffords passing. My condolences to the Gifford family and the family at Tesoro. R.I.P. Jack....

My Prayers and thoughts go out to all of the Gifford Family! I want to give Jack and his Tesoro family a huge Thank You for me being a long time Happy Tesoro Camper and I know there are many just like me. We are truly Happy Campers because of being comfortable, happy and confident whenever we grab our gear and head for a dig. We love detecting and we love our Tesoros and we love the way Tesoro treats us! I figure Jack is the reason for all of those good feelings and fun times we have had over all these years. That did not just happen, but was put into play with years of hard work and some plenty hard times for sure! Thanks Jack, and may God Bless you and all your families and loved ones ! Charlie Fowler

I was truly saddened to hear of Mr. Jack Gifford's passing and my condolences to his family for their great loss. The metal detecting industry surely lost a "key player" that helped develop it into todays technology and you can't replace people of that caliber. Jack Gifford by founding Tesoro enriched a lot of lives with adventure, enthusiasm and endless hours of ejoyment with his products and what a legacy that is to be remembered by....may he Rest in Peace:angel:

Randy

Every time I have one of his products in my hands I will be sure to thank the great and respected man that made it possible.
Rest easy Jack...you will always be remembered for what you added to this world and the way you conducted your life.

Jack Gifford was successful in many ways. None of us are perfect, but we should be known for what we accomplish and achieve in our short time on earth. Jack must have enjoyed the bulk of his life, certainly, because he shared 54 of his 75 years with his wife, Myrna. He was a forward thinking person and set goals that he worked hard to achieve, both with business as well spending time to help others in various ways.

While I met Jack a couple of times and conversed with him by phone several times in those earlier years when I was a Tesoro Dealer, I always wished I lived closer and could have known him better. Not from a business or design engineers standpoint, but as just as a decent human being to have as a friend or neighbor. I read one line in his obituary someone wrote up that really speaks well for how Jack Gifford was as a lot of Tesoro customers and fellow business associates came to appreciate him. It reads.:

"... Tesoro Electronics, brought him many friends and national and international acclaim for his designs and his support of the industry."

You look back at the information he provided the consumers, to include his MDI's, and doing what was important to provide the devoted hobbyist or avid detectorist with a detector selection that was simple, yet rugged enough to make you want to get out detecting. Reliable performance without a lot of flash. I would bet that might well describe Jack, himself, in his real life. A man who you would and trust to get reliable performance without a lot of flash.

The sad part isn't Jack Gifford passing away, because we all will at some point it time, but that just signals an eventful time for friends and family to reflect back on the good and positive things about a person and how they spent their life. 'Spent' their life, as in invested in things that are good and worthy of achievement. To me the sad part is that Tesoro, the company he worked hard to establish and promote with involvement with the consumers, seems to have taken a wrong siding. We just don't have the same close association and communication with the company, their products or see a regular progression of achievements that we enjoyed back when.

I send my best wishes to Myrna and the rest of the Jack Gifford family, and I do hope that all have prepared themselves for this moment in time when they can enjoy the memories of time spent with a good man. We could use more people like Jack, not just in the metal detecting industry, but in life in general.

Jack, and his family, are in my prayers.

Monte

http://www.prescottaz.com/m/Articles.aspx?ArticleID=140625

Dave J. said:
Just remembered one of my other favorite Jack Gifford stories.

A gal had bought a midrange Tesoro and for some reason wasn't happy and sent it back for "repair or replacement". Nothing actually wrong with the machine. Sent her another new machine. She was an unhappy camper again. He sent her a more expensive model to replace the one she had. She sent that one back, too. With a bunch of complaints that revealed a problem between the ears of the customer, not between the ears of the searchcoil.

Anyone who's worked in customer service for a while recognizes the pattern. Some people, the only thing that can make them happy is to be unhappy. In customer service, such customers are called "toads". [Any toad customers reading this, now you know what you're called after you've hung up the telephone.]

Jack calls her up. "We're proud of our reputation for delivering good value and for customer service. I want you to be happy. So out of my own pocket, I'll give you any metal detector you want for less than $1,000. With one limitation. It can't be a Tesoro. She decided on a White's Spectrum, and Jack bought one and shipped it to her.

About 6 months later, Jack gets a call from Alan Holcombe (then marketing manager of White's). "Jack, what have you done to me?"

Great story

Thank you Tesoro

Thank you Jack, rest in peace

Dave J., Thanks for the many kind words and for sharing neat memories of your time with Jack.

It is neat to see a small industry where all the key players seem to know one another and respect each other, even though they are competitors. It is a very similar with great athletes. I am glad our favorite industry has/had great people shaping it and moving it forward like Jack, Dave, and all the others.

PS Dave, I wonder if Minelab still has that Lobo?

My deepest sympathies and condolences to your family at his passing. I want to thank the Gifford family for posting the tribute to their father on the Tesoro website. Sometimes we loose touch of the human aspect behind the company image. I know that there are many who have enjoyed countless hours of joy using the machines your father inspired and built through founding Tesoro and building detectors. I look forward to teaching my kids how to detect using the compadre and I am extremely loyal to Tesoro . Best wishes and deepest sympathies.

Jack Gifford did not die.... He lives on with us each time we swing one of his wonderful machines. He used what God gave him in talent to touch each and every one of us. May the same be said and done for his sons and the company he worked so hard to build.

Viva Tesoro! Rest in peace Jack, may your company and family grow and prosper in your memory!