Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Safari Big Coil For More Depth

cashmole

Hi guys. I have been looking at larger coils for my Safari. I want more depth but I hunt city parks that are moderately trashy. Some have high trash but most are mid level for city parks. Anyways I find that 6" older 1950's to 1960's pennies don't come in super strong. They are a high tone with some "clipping" to the signal. This is how I can tell it is an older deeper penny. But shouldn't a 6" penny be crystal clear? I was thinking of getting a slightly larger coil to get a few more inches of depth and possibly be able to hear the older deeper coins but I don't want to miss good targets because of using a big coil in a city park with its trash.
I was looking at a Nel Thunder (14.5"x10.5") or Cors Cannon(which I believe is a re-branded Nel Thunder). Also looking at a Cors Strike which is a 12"x13" coil. I like the Thunder/Cannon but width is 10.5" compared to the stock Safari 11" wide coil. Will this coil get me any more depth or will it be the same in depth because of the relatively same width, regardless of it being longer. Will the longer length help with depth some. OR should I get the Strike because it is an overall larger coil? Any suggestions?

I was thinking quite the opposite...trashy parks, lots of eyes....I'd opt for the sef 8x6 and help keep a low profile. Many of us on the forum experience no loss of depth with the sef 8x6 or similar coil compared to the pro-coil. IMO, large coils for fields, woods...

The bigger the coil in a trashy park, the more you'll be bothered by nulling as it try's to I.D. all the pull tabs, can slaw, foil and a myriad of metallic junk over a larger coil footprint. The smaller the coil, the better it will single out targets. The only downside to a smaller coil i.e. a 6inch EXcellerator is that you have to slow down for it to I.D. those smaller targets like penny's and maybe loose a little depth but a marginal amount.

I feel that my depth is only ok. An old 1950's penny at 6 to 7 inches should be clear I would think? I can hear them ok but the signal kind of "clips" out and isnt solid. Not all the time but usually. This is how I can tell its deep. What do you guys think of running a 13" coil in a city park? Only a couple more inches than stock but could help me to get the older pennies and dimes?

I ended up buying a Cors Strike 12x13" Coil. I'll let you guys know how it is. Thanks cor the all the input.

So the Cors Strike coil is a rebranded Nel Tornado. It even says NEL on the cable protector right at the coil. It seems to go nice and deep. I can get old pennies at 8-10" easily. With all the discrimination I run they tend to "clip" out a bit rather than be a real solid tone but they are pretty clear and I can tell they are deep from the way they sound. Overall very happy with the coil and I purchased from SeriousDetecting...very reliable and fast shipping. He is on Ebay as well.

How's that coil on larger coins and silver? 8'-10' inches is pretty deep for a penny!! Thanks for the feedback!!

I found a silver quarter at about 8" with it and I could hear it no problem. I have everything blocked out except 30-40 and running auto sensitivity. I am going to try turning up the sensitivity and see if I can hear deeper stuff. This particular place I was hunting is a late 1950's school that has been graded a long time ago and so everything is only 1940's and up but its all pretty deep so it was a good place to test this coil. So far I'm very happy with it. Its a great all around coil and I use it in trashier parks as well just need to go slowly. The only thing I dont like about cors coils is the thick wire they use. I know its an added feature but collapsing the shaft with the coil on is harder as I do this everytime I put it in my trunk. I have to pull the wire down at the coil. Other than that Its a great coil. I have a small cors coil too.