Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Safari depth meter issues?

Happa54

Hello MD'ers;

Anyone having depth meter issues with their Safari? I may have read a post or two about this somewhere down the road.

Here is my problem;

It consistently tells me that target is 6" deep (half way on the meter) when upon digging it is really 2" - 3" inches deep.

If the coin is on top then it reflects as such. But other than that, I'm constantly digging a deep plug only to find I needed to dig a couple of inches into the ground.

It wasn't all that accurate with the stock coil but now since I put on the 6x8 butterfly it has worsened.

This machine has never giving me a read of 2, 4, 5, 8, 9" as an example.

Do you think I have a defective machine or do I need to do some tweaking of some sort that I may not know about?

I've had the Safari since November 2016.

Thank you for your feedback.

Given that size can matter to the depth reading, I'd say its fairly common on shallow targets. At least I think I have experienced what you are describing. Another thing that may be causing an inch or 2 extra on the reading is the coil not being exactly on the ground over the target. Whatever it is, on a shallow target i'll just test the spot with my pinpointer and anything 2"+/- will let me know its a shallow target and to just dig a shallow plug..

I always figured it was more of a range meter than actual precise depth. The sound is the key.

Thanks for your quick responses.

I may have posted this sooner than I should have since I have just spoken to a technician at Kellyco who are now doing warranty/repair work for Minelab.

After describing my depth meter issues to the technician he tends to think I may have a faulty machine.

He advised I do a factory reset, which is pretty easy. If problem is not resolved after this then I have to ship it to Florida for repair which takes them approx 2-3 weeks to turn it around.

Well okay.... what choice do I have.

I just hate knowing that I may be without my honey for awhile. I just don't know if I can bear it.

I'll let you know how things work out for the benefit of everyone.

I did a factory reset today. Seems to have worked.

This action will erase your custom settings if you any and sets all 4 modes back to factory.

But no big deal... it only takes a minute to customize the settings.

I cross saved conduc to relic and set minor disc and works just fine now.

The depth meter moves with the depth of my target.

This should be of help because I know some people have had issues with the depth meter.

Good luck!!

Glad its working properly! Go Git Sum!