Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Safari ID Depth

Cache Man

What is the maximum depth that the safari will properly ID a silver dime with no iron in the same hole? and can the safari tell the difference between a coin and a .22cal casing thats been in the ground for a 100 years? My sovereign can't, it says 180 same as coins and I am tired of digging these things in this dry ground at 8"+ inches. Thanks. HH :detecting:

I cant believe no one can answer these 2 questions, then I take this as a no the safari doesn't know the difference. HH :detecting:

i can answer it.! Im not sure there is a detector made with exray vision...not in an economical price range. The technology at this point seems to be....dig what sounds good or reads good and hope for the best. I dig hundreds of pull tabs and hundreads of 22 shell casings...........with time ..you will be able to tell the 22 casings from other valuables..it takes time

I found a silver dime at 10 inches at a park.It read 38 at 10 inches. so dig I did. And it was right. I think it was a 1937.Also found a silver half at 8 in.It read 40.I have found silver rings at 8 in. that read 40.I now dig the 40's.I've dug many shell casings. they usally read same as penny! You got to dig some junk ! It 's part of the game.The sounds tell all. Maybe with some practice you'll be able to tell the diff. good luck.

It seems to me that my Safari in my ground fools me more often in all metal. In coins or coins and jewelery I don't dig near as many junk targets. But I find myself cherry picking more often. In relic mode is when I dig the most brass and lead. Probably because I'm more focused on those type of targets. This is not an answer but just my experience with my Safari. Would'nt it be great to have a junk proof detector maybe one that could tell if the coin was on heads or tails 14K or 18K. guess we are stuck with junk magnets for a while longer. Come on MINELAB get us a new machine out here. HH :minelab::detecting:

Another 'Find's Treasure Forum' member posted his Safari using the standard 11"DD coil with sensitivity at 18 finding
a dime at 11.5" (air test only).

I hardly ever pick up 22 shells.My yard is covered by thousands that I have shot.I hunt in conductive 10 just below nickel.I do get larger shells,shotgun shells.I hunted clean an old farm house.Tryed last weekend tryed 2 tone ferrous on farm house that everyone has been talking about to hot to dig so I hunted all metal 2TF marked digs with 3 inch golf tees 27 marks came back couple days later when cooler with garret pin pointer only out of the 27 17 were shell casings the rest were foil or rusted square nails.With one exception small lead cow about the size of nickel.Not too impressed with 2TF so far hunting in good black Illinois soil.Really impressed with SEF 6x8 coil my old spots are new spots.I will try to post pictures this weekend.

Thanks a lot, that answered a lot, I have 5 detectors everyone of those 5 thinks a .22 casing is a coin even the sovereign with it I find them in the 10"-11" depth range, you wouldn't think you would find them that deep but that place has been severely flooded twice so the coins are deep also, Again Thanks HH:detecting:

That is strange to me. I don't have a safari,But I do have an E-trac and .22 shell casings read like foil. Before the E-trac I had Fisher CZ's and they also read foil on this machine. I was thinking about the safari as a second machine,But if that is the case I don't think I want one.

Wow!!!!! I have to lower mine down # 3 or 4 to get it to read empty long rifle cartridge.Maybe it is soil it sits in?Is this with air test? I start getting rid of pulltaps at #15.

That's air tests for the .22 shells with the Safari because I found those .22 shells
with my Omega 8000 before I bought my Safari.