Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Safari in Auto Sensitivity Mode

Timelord2

Afraid of running your Safari in Auto sensitivity? I was, even though this is my first year owning my Safari I always ran my sensitivity around 17 most of the time. Then I read a UK metal detecting magazine this Friday and the writer of the article said he ran his E-Trak in Auto mode because his thinking was the engineers knew better than him. So today I went out to an old place that had a cabin built around 100 years ago and has quit a bit of iron in the ground that has caused some issues. I have detected this place many time this year. The Safari has a big learning curve so I started the year out with discrimination with 0 to -10 discriminated out. After learning to run the Safari better I kept going back and finding more.

Finally I was out there in All Metal mode with sensitivity at 17. Up till today I have hunted the place by gong East and West 2 time. North and South 2 times and random a few times. I have even done some of them with my other machine the Fisher F5.

Today I went out in Auto sensitivity and this is what I found. The top row is todays finds and the lower was last Sundays with the F5, I was surprised the F5 found the two Barbers but the F5 has a really fast recovery. The finds today were a real surprise I thought there was nothing left, boy I was wrong. Auto sensitivity really changed the game, the Safari ran quite and you could really hear the coins ring out. The ID even threw me a curve because one of the dimes ID at 40 but I dung it anyway because it sounded so good.

So don't be afraid of running your Safari in Auto sensitivity, I will be doing it.

Were you running in high or low trash? The high trash mode seems to give different id #'s than low, but dont put too much faith in the numbers

Timelord2 said:
but I dug it anyway because it sounded so good.

And there it is. Safari's 'secret'. The tones don't lie. Even your mother will lie to you under certain circumstances (remember the Santa Claus debacle?), but the Safari's whispered promises are always true.

My personal approach to a new machine is to run it in as much auto as possible until I learn why I should be doing something different. Then I let conditions and experience guide me. But if I hit a drought, I always go Full Auto as a check to see if its me or the site/s.

Good Hunt there!

Awesome story and good to know with the auto sensitivity mode. I always avoided using any "auto" mode in any machine. Not just metal detectors. I feel manually adjusting will always be more effective. Guess sometimes you just gotta let the detector determine what is good for you haha.

Great finds! Good story and way to keep learning this awesome machine. I tried auto but it was not for me. I run manual cranked up to the point it wants to false. I keep it just on the edge of stability.

I don't run mine in auto. I feel I have more control over my detector and it's not unusual for me to adjust the sensitivity several times or more when I'm out in detecting. In 2 parks I go to, there are 2 spots where there are long stretches of underground cables. Ive never seen them but boy, my detector goes crazy so I know they are there!!! I can fine adjust to where I can get close without it going so crazy. I may be missing targets but old habits are hard to break I guess!