Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Safari strikes Gold and Silver today.

acasto

Stopped by the local rodeo arena today to do a little tectin with the Safari. Using a modified program I found in Andy's book on the Quatro.
First 3 targets were pull tabs, then a solid 38 at about 8 inches. Pulled out a silver belt tip.
Pull tab
Pull tab
Large washer
BEEP. Solid hit at 37. So, I dug. Out pops a round pendant with dirt crusted all over one side. Color looks good, but the 37 ID has got me doubting it.

Get home, and the dirt washes right off. Still has good color, but not jumping up and down yet. Looked at it under the magnifier and almost fell over. On one side is a rearing horse with 25 Singold on one side of the horse, and 1/4 oz 999.9 fine gold on the other. Back of coin says Republic of Singapore. Dated 1990.

Internet search turned up this.
http://www.rarecoincollector.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37&products_id=3270
IMAG0181.jpg
IMAG0182.jpg

WOW. My first gold coin.

SWEET! Way to go acasto. That is awesome, wonder why it rang up so high? A singapore coin at a rodeo, who would have thunk it!!!
Thanks for posting,
Bunker

Thanks, Bunker.

I don't understand the high number either. Took the coin out of the pendant and rescanned them. Coin is now a solid 38, and pendant is a 13.
Just to make sure, I weighed the coin and measured it, and weight/dimentions are spec according to the website.
I am hoping someone will offer some info about that.

acasto, congrats on your very sweet gold find!:clapping: I am also very interested in why the coin rang up high? but it sounds like you have done what needs to be done to make sure it's gold and not plated. You may want to take it to a good coin dealer and get a second opinion. I have seen some real good fakes in my life (I used to own 4 antique stores so I've seen a lot of genuine and other stuff over the years but from the pic's it looks real good to me!!!!!! WTG!!!![size=medium][/size]

Took the coin and pendant to a coin dealer today. It is genuine. The pendant is 10K.
They offered me $300 for the coin and $25 for the pendant.

Also called Minelab Tech line today, only to be told there is not actually any one there that can offer tech help. WOW! :huh:

Talked to Doris at Kellyco, and she explained to me that the target ID #s we get with 10-22K gold is actually a reading of the non-gold content of the target.
As the non-gold content goes down, the target ID # goes up. So, the only answer I can come up with is that .999 fine gold will have an ID # of 38. And, my Safari only saw it because of it's size. Did I mention it is a 1/4 OZ coin. :wiggle:

Doris at Kellyco gets a :thumbup:

HH
Tony

Appreciate the follow up Acasto. Now I will be thinkin every stinkin Lincoln is gold, ugh!
HH,
Bunker

Very interesting! many times, I'll just dig 38-39 hopefully trying to pass on the pennies and 39's which is either a quarter or a silver ring or silver jewellry so I guess I can expect now to see some gold around that ID!!!!:stars:.....this hobby is a continual learning curve and there is definitely something new to discover every time we go metal detecting!!

Yahooooo! Cowboy pendent for sure...

Excellent find and do not sell... Gold will break 1600 an ounce and then some..

Thanks for posting that Rare Coin Collector site. Finally got an idea of the value of my 10 spot 1929 1st National Bank note.