Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Safari Target ID's in the high teens & twenties

Happa54

Hello..... I'm new to MD in the Los Angeles area. So far I have approx 30 hours on my safari.

I have dug up mostly pennies, a couple of wheaties but mostly 1960's to 70's and a couple of nickels, dimes and quarters... and of course a bunch of pull tabs, wire, bottle caps, old pipe.

I have read Andy Sabisch's book twice and ton's of research and reviews on this machine.

I read a lot about what target ID's to accept but very little is mentioned on ID numbers 17 to 30.

My question is....would you advise I reject 17 to 30 and keep these settings permanent?

And of course I know I need to reject -10 to +6.

Thank you for your advice.

Happa

For me I usually dig all those numbers. I guess it really depends on where you are digging. If I was finding a zillion pull tabs with the same number I might reject just that number. I usually dig in older sites though and would dig all thoses.

Thanx for that bit of advice Klever.

I've sporadically hunted a couple of L.A.'s oldest parks (100 yr plus in age) and my safari is screaming away...ID's & icons all over the board.

L.A's known to have heavy beer drinkers and seems like it's all consumed at the parks. Tons and tons of pull tabs and bottle caps.

Much of the iron too is reading like clad coinage...37/39 with high tones. I get a few low tones/I.D's between +16 to +29 but not a whole lot, thus far.

I have seen MD'ers on youtube getting a bunch of wheaties, silver dimes and quarters out of these same parks.

Due to the amount of beer related metals in the ground, what I'm trying to do is to make it a littler easier to get some things worthwhile.

I know of a famous swimming hole that was heavily used in the 1940's to 1960's and I'm anxious to hunt it, but there are quite a few shady characters about.

But then I'm anticipating a lot of beer stuff in the dirt again. How much can I possibly dig?

On the other hand maybe all this trash will be a quick learning curve for me.

Again, thnx for taking the time to respond to my post.

Since you are new to the Safari, I would recommend ignoring the hi teens + 20s. Yes, theres some good things that can show up there, but its predominately trash range. I would only do this while learning the nuances of the machine, then I would gradually open up a few numbers here and there and master them too. Its all about your tolerance for trash and how trained your ear is.

But don't discriminate out the low positives. Skinny womens gold/engagement rings can be found as low as +3. I have found 2 there myself.

Welcome to the Safari, Happa. You're walking the same trail of questions we've all been concerned about.
I'd suggest dig all tid's that you come across until you can mentally know and/or record the type of recovery made for most finds. Andy Sabisch's new,updated Quattro & Safari Handbook is a well-written source of information, with personal stories and great tips to help us make the most of our time in the field searching for the find of the week.
I'd like to suggest that you even go back to the start of this forum (page 109 in 2005) when the first Quattro users started posting similar questions. Of course, you can and I recommend use the "search function" above and key in certain words for results, i.e, like what does a gold coin tdi at ? I remember Metal Miner and Croakersmoker78 responded, provided this :

Re: Safari and Gold Coin ID numbers - 2 years ago
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?3,2105109,2119541#msg-2119541

HH and looking forward to your postings

Ditto to the above comments and I would also add that there will come a time when you will not want to discriminate anything at all and will hunt in A.M. (with no discrimination). You'll get past the frustration you initially feel with all those crazy irritating sounds! But you will come to a point where you'll be so used to the wide spectrum of tones and will usually know when you have an interesting coin/relic/ etc; under your coil and whether to dig or not dig. There is a lengthy learning curve but its definitely be worth it!

Thanks everyone for the feedback!!!

Yes, I'll start rejecting high teen's and twenties for now until I get more familiar with the tones.

I have toggled back and forth from AM, C and C/J and just hear a bunch of tones mainly due to the high trashed out parks I've put my 30 hours in at.

I also keep in my pocket some silver coins I bought at the coin shop of which I throw down every hour or so just to keep my ears in check.

All in all, I'm excited about the thought of digging up something to brag about.

Again, thank you so much for your time and expertise.

Happa54 said:
Thanks everyone for the feedback!!!

Yes, I'll start rejecting high teen's and twenties for now until I get more familiar with the tones.

I have toggled back and forth from AM, C and C/J and just hear a bunch of tones mainly due to the high trashed out parks I've put my 30 hours in at.

I also keep in my pocket some silver coins I bought at the coin shop of which I throw down every hour or so just to keep my ears in check.

All in all, I'm excited about the thought of digging up something to brag about.

Again, thank you so much for your time and expertise.

Happa.....I don't think you need to worry about passing up silver coins because your Safari will scream 'silver' lol! You'll pick up clad dimes and quarters as well but once in awhile, you'll get the silver coins your looking for! P.s. If your very lucky and happen to pass your coil over a silver dollar though, it'll show an i.d. of around 33-35 with a duller penny type of tone. There are very few of them around anymore though and you'll be very lucky to detect one.

My second time out detecting back when I started I found a silver half. So yes big silver is still out and you must not say that it's not widespread sure it may not be all over the place but I can tell you a lot of silver still exists.