Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Same yard, one more time, and the EQ sniffs out a few more!

sgoss66

This morning, I went to that same 1904 house that I hunted several times with the CTX 3030, and then last week with the Equinox. I tried my darndest to find a gold ring, but it was not to be. HOWEVER, I DID manage to sniff out a few more coins that I had missed. It's getting hard, now...the Merc was buried in nails; I dug the plug FOUR TIMES (pulling out a nail each of the first three times, and with each one concluding that I must have just been hearing a high-tone nail false) before I finally unearthed the REAL source of that high-tone chirp I was hearing!!

Steve

[attachment 357578 4-23-18Finds-rotcrop.JPG]

Nice Steve.

I've been hunting the yard of an old house from the same era. I've gone over it with several other detectors the last few years, A good test for a new detector. The last few trips have been with the 800. It is difficult hunting due to the iron, big and small. Sits adjacent to an old railroad line and has LOTS of associated railroad iron in the yard. The 800 keeps eeking a couple keepers here and there to my surprise. Looking forward to having a go with the 6" coil when and if it ever arrives.

HH

Rich -

Steve,

Nice hunt and good information: keep scanning the hole until the high chirp is gone!

Nice, good job!

I'm trying to find that line between what is a coin hidden in the trash and what is just a nail false.

Jason --

I'm in the same place ,trying to find that very same line; what I DIDN'T mention were all the times I thought there might be a coin in with the nails, and it WAS just a nail false! That's the hardest part of a machine to learn, in my opinion -- the nuance (if any) between a false off of a nail, and a coin next to a nail. The more aggressive you try to be, of course, in terms of digging the iffy "chirps," the more nails you will of course dig. It's about finding that "line" as you referred to it. I have learned to ignore ALOT of the nail-false high tones -- as I'm sure you have. There are often scratchy, squeaky, "burpy" tones appended to the edges of the high-tone falses that give them away as being iron much of the time. But sometimes, they sound good enough to fool you, for sure...

Steve

Nice finds and early merc.

Good score on those coins! I've been surprised by a few masked coins as well and the nail falses are becoming easier to identify with more time on the machine - that reminds me I have a bit o' treasure to post from the weekend! :thumbup:

Seems like most nail falses end up sounding like dime/quarter numbers and rarely does the VDI "lock-on" with a nail false, but most iffy signals that read 19-22 are almost always deep copper or brass (or Indian, Wheat cent too)

We received some wet snow and the added moisture seemed to quiet things down last hunt...the deep non-ferrous targets seemed to come in clearer with moist vs dry soil

CZconnoisseur said:
We received some wet snow and the added moisture seemed to quiet things down last hunt...the deep non-ferrous targets seemed to come in clearer with moist vs dry soil

what are you running your iron balance at?

CZ -- sounds like you are having some of the same experiences along the "learning curve." I will look forward to seeing your "treasures!"

Yep -- I agree, a lot of falses are up in the dime/quarter zone, but won't "lock on," as you said.

This is just an aspect of learning a machine that -- in my opinion, requires tons and tons and tons of "repetitions" in order to really figure out and master. Hunting in iron has been, for me, the most difficult aspect of detecting to master, with ANY machine, and there are simply NO shortcuts as far as I can tell. You have to dig, and dig, and dig more, listening to subtle nuances every time, in order to begin to draw conclusions as to what clues may exist as to whether something is a "nail false" versus a "coin next to a nail." It's SO easy to draw those conclusions too hastily -- because in the scheme of things, VERY FEW nails have coins adjacent to them. And so, because it's so easy (at least for me) to get frustrated by "digging nothing but nails," it's easy to want to conclude too quickly that "that's just a nail false, I've heard that same tone 10 times and it has always been just a nail every time" -- and therefore choose to pass on by without digging. Until you have dug enough "coin/nail" targets, and learn what THOSE sound like, it's hard to conclude anything about what a "coin/nail" target sounds like, if all you have dug are a bunch of "nail false" targets. In other words, coin/nail co-locations may (or may not) sound quite similar to nail falses, but until you have dug enough of BOTH, it's hard to draw solid conclusions. And I am still in that place where I've dug ALOT of nail falses, but only a few "nail/coin" targets, and so I need many more of the "latter" digs, before I can draw conclusions as to how to differentiate between the two.

Steve