Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SAND FLEAS OR BLACK FLIES

Head for deep water...?

I would like to know also, thanks for posting

The first 2 years detecting on Southern beaches was rough.
I had bites everywhere... my hair and skin were exposed I paid an itchy price.
Then I stumbled on an idea that worked.
Don't laugh, but that's me in the picture on a winter's day.
I'm wearing a top and bottom jogging suit, short pants made out of
tough material (purchased at Wal-Mart) which I put on over the jogging pants.
I wear a hat with a drier sheet inside. I wear thick white socks and Crocs.
The short pants come with cotton pockets....don't but those. The short pants also
come with pockets made out of the same tough material as the outside of the garment....buy these.
I have enough pockets on those short pants to hold the following: Two bottles of diet root beer, 2 power bars,
small bug spray bottle and by wallet. I made a harness out of 2 D Ring canvas belts and a bungee cord.
That harness allows me to swing the coil effortlessly for hours.
Here's the part you won't like: I trained myself to detect at night in order to avoid sunburn in 95 degree heat.
When the bugs come around I take that drier sheet and pass it over the few remaining patches of exposed skin.
any Questions? I'll be happy to help!

Man! When the biting files come out up here, they mob you in a big cloud and will flat eat you up...if theres an off shore wind, you gotta dress like ElPulltabio, or go straight into deep water...I have found no repellant that works on bare skin...

I wear those long john Underarmour bottoms with a pair of shorts, and a long sleeve top, and a hat...sort of works...any exposed skin gets bit HARD!

Like he said, hunt at night, or very early am...as soon as the sun comes up the biting flies come pouring out of the dunes...Shudderr! hurts to think about this is what we got coming!
Mud

I remember reading an article in Field and Stream years back that said to use Vicks mentholatom spread on your hatbill to repel skeeters and black flies , I remember them yellow flies back in the swamps fishing would dam near haul our arses out of the boat , never got a chance to try it , maybe some of you guys will be able to test this theory and post your results .

Many years ago folks were raving about Avon Skin so soft being an excellent mosquito repellant. So being foolish I purchased a bottle and went deer hunting. Soaked down with the stuff and the mosquitoes arrived in droves. Most miserable day I had ever had deer hunting as the mosquitoes ate me alive. On my body the danged stuff acts like a mosquito attractant and not a repellant.

Deet for the flies. No idea if it works on the fleas, tho it probably does. I've been drowning myself in it for many decades with no ill affects. Some folks are more sensitive to it tho.