Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SAND SCOOP

the Swede

Hello!

I have a question regarding the choice of a sand scoop.
Not the heavy-duty ones used in the rough surf and neck-deep water, but rather the handheld used for dry sand recovery and shoreline/shallow water ditto.

But I am actually looking for a sand scoop which is a combination of the often pointy/sharp blade on the bigger ones and the nifty handle on the smaller ones.
And if there would be one made of sturdy plastic, well, that would be just perfect.

I was hoping someone out there could guide me to an appropriate vendor/manufacturer that already have my kind of sand scoop in store.

the Swede

IMHO sand scoop is not an item to go light on. Dry sand only is somewhat forgiving, but when you look at wet or in water use plastic will not hold up. Do yourself a favor and get a good quality SS scoop from the start. It is cheaper in the long run and far less frustrating. Many forum sponsors have full selections of scoops in store. Seriously plastic is far from perfect, I have a few and learned the hard way!

Hello Swede,
I agree with Pastor Tom. You will regret going too light with a scoop used in wet sand. I sometimes use a handheld heavy plastic one for dry sand only, and it works very well for that.

A scoop with a reinforced back to drive into wet or dry sand with your foot works best in my opinion. Wire mesh on the bottom helps sift dense, wet sand better.
A good starting point to check out what's available might be RTG scoops. They make a wide variety.

The only time I would consider plastic is dry sand only and if I was hunting like those Aussie youtube guys (heavy duty large plastic shovel with holes in it). Pay the extra money for a quality ss scoop. Its money ahead in the long run.

As previously said the Scoop is Not the place to go cheap. Dry sand is one thing but wet sand especially when mixed with shell can be very very hard to dig and a cheap scoop will not do the job. I started with a less expensive 5 inch SS scoop and it did not take me long to realize that I had wasted about $100. I even bent the Steel handle trying to dig that hard stuff. It also just took too long to be able to get down to the target in the hard pack wet sand. A good scoop is an investment that will last you for years.

YEP Get a t-rex or something of that quality. I hunted a beach that had a thick shell mulch on it i had to almost jump on the scoop to start digging. I guess its your money to spend but thats my take... Good luck

I mainly detect the beach,s. I would not reccomend anyBeach scoop withthose sharp pointed tips, Reason,if that lower point should hit you lower ankle or calf, I could see you cutting an artery or a deep cut. In the water it doesn,t take much of a current to move your scoop by any waves againt your leg. Anyone that water Detects know you think you are ready to get the target out of the sand under water tne current will move you scoop off track. I use a Babbs Scoop with a Stainless Steel tip. Beach Detecting for 30 years-golden

Hi again!

Thank you all for your input.

Came across this sand scoop:
ö

I was thinking I could use it without the stem/handle when digging dry sand and even shallow water recovery. Will put the handle back on when going deeper...

the Swede

I don't think youre gonna want to take the handle off for dry sand. Those ones that you are looking at with a short handle really aren't for serious work (I know, I know- they are capable, but I think all of us left those behind along with the cheap scoops soon after we started beach hunting).

That scoop looks fine but I cannot think of any reason to remove the handle. If you want to try it you'll see that the handle is a benefit in EVERY usage situation.
HH!

This forum is awesome!
Great, polite and honest responses all the way through. :cheekkiss:

Maybe I am pushing my luck here a tad bit - but I would like to ask you all about a find-/trash bag that will not collect as much sand and water.
I am not that really satisfied with the one I am currently using; for sure, it has plenty of pockets (even zippered ones for goodies...), but it also collects a whole lot of sand and water.

I have already searched Google (pictures) for some kind of 'bag' that would overcome this problem - unfortunately to no avail.

Perhaps some scuba diving ditto...?!

the Swede

For a finds bag at the beach I use a 5X7 mesh bag by Equinox (Bilby). Simple, inexpensive, sand washes out in the water. I use an old fashioned shower curtain clip to clip the bag to my belt. I tried other finds bags and they were unsatisfactory due to holding sand and water.

http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/bags-and-pouches/bilby_nylon_mesh_stuff_bag.cfm

But cannot find the 5x7...

the Swede

BEST!!!

goldnugget said:
I mainly detect the beach,s. I would not reccomend anyBeach scoop withthose sharp pointed tips, Reason,if that lower point should hit you lower ankle or calf, I could see you cutting an artery or a deep cut. In the water it doesn,t take much of a current to move your scoop by any waves againt your leg. Anyone that water Detects know you think you are ready to get the target out of the sand under water tne current will move you scoop off track. I use a Babbs Scoop with a Stainless Steel tip. Beach Detecting for 30 years-golden

Sorry about that It is the 7 X 10. I have been using one for about 2 1/2 years and it is still going strong. I do not know how many hundreds of dollars in clad and jewelry I have run thru that little bag.