Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Saturday is for copper as well

dfmike

I got up early this morning to get some detecting time while the weather is super nice. If last Saturday was a good silver day, this one was a very good copper one. Large cents are hard to find and I found two straight up and right beside one another (1886 and 1914). From memory I think its the oldest large cent I have found and definitely the oldest coin I have found in these parts. Both of them were deep and I could barely hear a slight squealing tone on one side only. I decided to dig because a press of the horseshoe button was not giving me any iron indication and the numbers were quite steady when I got the right angle (19-20). As soon as one was popped out, the other one was a very good signal both ways. There was a newer copper penny in the hole too but that one was not registering at all before I popped the 2 largies out. I thank the guy or gal that lost those beautiful coins. Little did he/she know that it would make someone's day more than a century in the future ! I also found a few silver dimes from the 40's and the silver quarter was a surface find. The detector alerted me to its presence by screaming loudly with a very stable 30-31 and when I looked down, I could actually see it in a small puddle of water. How on earth can I find a silver quarter on the surface without even digging I wondered. I will never find the answer but I was very thankful for it as its my first silver quarter of the year.

I dug very small and beat up silver ring of 1.7 grams and a copper ring next to a large tree. Does anybody know why there are 2 holes in the ring ? Because of the holes, I'm not so sure it was intended to be a finger ring at all. I did not photograph the other finds which were mainly pennies (about 20), a few square nails, 2 screw caps and 4-5 rusty bottle caps.

All in all another good day of detection with the Equinox 600 and the small 6" coil. Settings were the usual: Park 1 , gain 23, recovery 3, 5 tones everything open from zero onward. On occasion I will use the horseshoe button to check on an iffy target.

Attachments

• finds-april-001.jpg
    finds-april-001.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 99
  • finds-april-002.jpg
    finds-april-002.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 105
  • finds-april-003.jpg
    finds-april-003.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 84
  • finds-april-004.jpg
    finds-april-004.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 92
  • finds-april-005.jpg
    finds-april-005.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 101
  • finds-april-006.jpg
    finds-april-006.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 99
Interesting finds Mike! The band might be held in place by nails or rivets, not thinking it's a finger ring.
HH Jeff
Yeah I thought it was a finger ring until I saw the holes and I noticed them when I got home. It was deep and heavily oxidized (green) before I brushed it so it is quite old me thinks. Even at depth, the detector screamed when it hit it and the ID was a super solid 30-31. Man I wish these trees could talk. Then I would know what it was for.

You had a super great day!!!

Great finds!!!
I found one of those large cents down in the states (Virginia) some years ago, and was shocked at the size of it!!
It was a 1919.
They are rare down my way too!!🤣😂