Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Saving patterns and settings and advice needed for old fairgrounds settings

INVASCdigger

Let me introduce myself to this forum, I'm Steve (INVASCdigger) from Northeast Indiana and I'm a new E-trac owner. I've owned a Minelab Explorer XS in the past, so I'm familiar with many of the settings for the older Explorer series detectors. The E-trac, however, has me scratching my head as I try to learn settings and patterns. I haven't been able to get out and try anything yet, although I've air tested many coins and have been reading Andy Sabisch's book, The Explorer & E-trac Handbook. I'd like to know....when I save a discrimination pattern, is it also saving the settings that the machine is set for, i.e. the Trash Density setting, Ground setting, Recovery speed setting, Sensitivity, etc., etc., etc.?
I have permission to detect an old fairground (which today is a farmer's field) that has produced coins from the 1850s to 1880s, including silver 3 cent coins, nickel 3 cent coins, 2 cent pieces, shield nickels, large cents, "fatty" Indian heads, regular Indians and seated silver half dimes, dimes, quarters, and 1 rare twenty-cent piece. I'd like to learn how to set up the E-trac for the best results for that field. The ground has many iron objects that have accumulated from over 120 years of farming, and the coins are at various depths due to plowing. I'd appreciate getting advice for settings/patterns for the field. Also, is there a place that I can download a selection of user patterns that have been created by other E-trac owners? I'd like to find ones for relic hunting in highly mineralized ground (I visit Northern Virginia to visit family and like to search for Civil War relics), also a trashy park program, beach program, etc. Thank you!

Crickets

Is there a lot of iron? If so I would use a small coil, I use a 6x8 coil....and I would also use TTF, are u familiar with that?

Yes, a lot of iron that's accumulated over 120 years as a farm field. I have an 8" coil that I think will work with the E-trac. It came with my old Explorer XS. Do you think that would be better than the stock 11" coil? I've been reading as much information on the E-trac as I can, and have learned that ttf is two tone ferrous, but I haven't worked with it yet. I've also read that other E-trac users have credited you with a ttf program that's helped them. If you have a recommendation for settings, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Thanks Goes4ever!

Goes4ever has a great primer on how to hunt TTF on his website. Google and take a look. Good luck with your Etrac.

Mike in TN (mifon)

Goes4ever said:
is the 8" coil a DD coil? if so yes it will help, if not I am not sure

The coil is the FBS 800 with the quick connect lower rod , and it is a DD coil. It came free with my Explorer XS several years ago. I connected it to the E-trac, and it seems to work just fine. I'll use it in the field as soon as the weather / temperature permits. I'll also experiment with the TTF setting. Thanks very much for your advice.

mifon said:
Goes4ever has a great primer on how to hunt TTF on his website. Google and take a look. Good luck with your Etrac.

Mike in TN (mifon)

Thanks Mike! I'll be sure to check it out.

Steve

Sounds like you have a great place to hunt there. Good Luck!!

INVASCdigger said:
I'd like to know....when I save a discrimination pattern, is it also saving the settings that the machine is set for, i.e. the Trash Density setting, Ground setting, Recovery speed setting, Sensitivity, etc., etc., etc.? !

When you save it under pattern the answer is no, if you save it with your setting under a mode then the answer is yes. If you are hunting in a preferred mode ie. Trash density, recovery speed, fast on or off, deep on or off etc you can go to your menu and load a pattern and it will have all the settings of the mode you were hunting in. If you change to a different mode that has different types of setting and then load a the same pattern it will use the settings of that mode. When loading patterns all you are changing is the discrimination set up not the other settings.

So the difference between a mode and a pattern is the setting that are saved? Had forgotten what the difference is.