Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Schoolhouse Finds

My Dad & I decided to go metal detecting today. We checked out a few places, but the schoolhouse was the best. We both found a lot of clad coins, mostly quarters and I lucked up and found a silver ring. This is the first silver that I have found, so you can imagine my excitement! The ring has sterling on the inside loop with a mark that I can't identify. To bad the stone is missing and the ring has seen better days from the look of it but I'm very happy. Thankfully the weather is not very cold here in Alabama. I'v read on here where some people can't even do any detecting because the ground is frozen, that has to stink. Hope everybody had a Merry Christmas!

Y'all dug a lot of coins!!!! Congratulations on the silver ring:clapping:

Way to go on the silver. Yep, the ground up here in Indiana is frozen. We just have to wait. You all in the south will have to keep us busy reading about your finds. Have fun out their... KEN

Rousseau., here is a link to a web page with the mark shown, scroll about half way down the page and look for the word Vargas, 1947 You can research from there. Wish you did have the stone, a big one apparently Vargas jewelry mark Hope this helps, keep at it, CO

Nice hunt. The best part of your story was the line, "me and my dad". Such a great hobby. HH.

JC

jeffc said:
Nice hunt. The best part of your story was the line, "me and my dad". Such a great hobby. HH.

JC

Amen to that! Sure wish one of my family members would take an interest. By the way Excellent silver find and coin count.:clapping:

I say the stone is still in the ground where the ring was. Freezing expands, larger stones will pop out. Sometimes the bottom of a wide thin band will split too, I found several with the band split at the bottom.

Thanks everybody for the info on the ring. I'm defiantly gonna go back & see if I can find the stone. I remember right where I found the ring. Yeah I really enjoy spending time with my Dad metal detecting.

Very nice ! :clapping:

I wish my father was still around, I think he would have enjoyed metal detecting. I know I would have loved to have him with me!! Cherish those days you have and make them as numerous as you can!!

If you have some 1/4" screen, make a small sifter, it might aid you in finding the stone (as long as the hole in the ring is not less than 1/4", of course).