Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Scoop Project

I found this in an old friend's field and he gave it to me but does not know what it was for or how long it has laid there. Seems like a well made piece of stainless. Is it worth trying to make a beach scoop out of it and how should it be done? Or should I just save up for a Stavr? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Man. Stainless is tough to drill and work with common hand tools...maybe sell it and up the money towards a good scoop? I made one out of an aluminum scoop similar to yours that works fine, but then again, aluminum is easy to work with.
Mud

price is right.... i would give it a go..... i made my own out of a piece caphalon cookware...., mine about the same size as that scoop and works quite well.... the real trick is going to be mounting it to a handle securely.... i used those same kinda U-bolt like mud used... pickem up at tractor supply cheap..... as far as drilling the holes i 1st marked the outside with a marker then started the holes with a 5/32 colbalt drill bit then finished the holes with a quality vary bit.... the way mud did his is pretty smart having those small holes in the bottom front helps get those stud earings that otherwise would slip right thru.... very nice job mud...... just remember as you are drilling the holes out that you can always make the holes bigger but once there drilled you cant may them smaller... ggood luck.....

Yeah Bootyhound! If a fellow is handy and has some rudimentary tools and skills, (or cheap friends that do) its sort of fun to make things...I will say this though, I gained a whole new appreciation for the Professional scoop companies out there that make them for sale...they do take a beating.
Mud

That's a nice one Mudpuppy. Good advice too, as I'm not all that handy with tools. But I do seem to have time on my hands so I may not give up on the idea. Thanks bootyhoundpa, I was needing that kind of info. I'll keep studying the idea and maybe browse through a hardware store. Looks like it will be awhile before I get to a beach anyhow.

couple of things; that im pretty sure is what used to be a Ice scoop; used in the older ice machines in resturants to scoop the ice so it would not rust. Might have some value on collectors or ebay??
The thing is stainless the only way your gonna cut it is with a plasma cutter and that would be a chore but doable ; dont even think drills or torch they wont budge the thing if its stainless. You can find a place with a plasma cutter and then clean out the holes with a burr grinder after there done but the hours Ohh you gonna invest a few :) :) O used the same old scoops for bulk flour and sugar and stuff in the old days also.

Good Luck whatever you decide
Grumpy

why are you thinking drills will not work ?
I've drilled,stainless,titanium,and many other materials.
But use good quality drills and work small to large on each and every hole.

For what its worth I agree with Jim Gilmore completely.

I have drilled and cut stainless including 316 many times. The key to drilling it is SLOW SPEED and use a cutting compound.

IT can be cut with a handheld grinder with a cutting disc very easily, and if you use a wax it will make your discs last longer.

Any welding you want done just go to any welding or sheet metal fab place and they will do it for very little cost to you.

I say go for it...:thumbup:

cheers Nodds..... HH

Titanium drill bits will work very well on stainless. The titanium coated sold at the big box stores are cheaper and may work for your project. Keep us posted. HH :minelab:

Grumpy, you're right it is an ice scoop for restaurants and bars. Here's another pic of the small print which I just noticed on the bottom [VOLLRATH STAINLESS STEEL]. I googled that and got lots of interesting info. You can still buy them [list $116] on sale for about $75. You guys are a wealth of information. Thanks for all the advice and info. If and when I decide to do this I'll keep you posted. It's not that heavy and seems like would make a good scoop if done right. I am tempted to take the short cut and just buy a good scoop so this might turn into a longer term project if I do it.

I've been thinking about this James...that's an awful scoop to try to convert. I remember trying to drill thin SS steel, it grabs the bits and will twist that thing and tear you up...unless you have a drill press and have the scoop clamped down real good..its just too thin..it would take all damn day to drill those holes and deburr them all. then cutting and welding bracketry and whatnot, and getting a handle...You should just try to sell it, or even trade it to some local fabber and have him make you a real one...Or just buy a real one...they are more complicated with the balance, angles and pressure points than one may think...If you think you ae gonna really get into water hunting, you DO need a good scoop!
Mud

Mudpuppy, I tend to agree with you. I probably will buy a ready made one and give this more serious thought before I tackle such a project. But it is a tempting idea. Thanks for the advice.