Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Scoops and magnets (?)

Hunting nail infested lake beaches and shallow waters. Do you use magnets in your scoops? Benefits that you see and any drawbacks? What types, where do you place them and how do you attach them?
I just put, using plastic tie wraps, 3 rare earth magnet rings in the back of my stainless steel scoop. Yet to be tested... I placed them at (say 8, 6 and 4 o'clock. Would it be better to stack them and place them all at 6? Any thoughts appreciated!

Use rare earth. Coated in epoxy. Usually bolted in. But gently. You can order all types online, cheap. Unless its huge its not dangerous or expensive. The bigger ones tend to be pricy an expensive. Keep away from pets, kids, an pace makers. Hh an gl. Joe

Me I don't bother, but they are helpful with those items that fall thru scoop.

I personally don't use magnets, I use a all plastic float and dump my scoop in it and then check the float with the detector if I can't find the target. Some say the magnets help to find the iron targets.

Being I am using a PI machine and have been searching fresh water lakes until I get to the beach later this year, the magnets really help me especially when I am in neck or chest deep water.
I have them mounted at 6:00 and one mounted at 12:00 position at the bottom or back of my scoop.
The ones I have come with holes in them to allow them to be fastened with a screw and nut to the scoop.

Just getting into the water with a new water machine. When I bought my tesoro cutlass earlier this year the gentleman who was from florida let a dry sand 4" opening 3 piece scoop go with it. Using what I have available to me for water hunting, I quickly decided that the bobby pins were going to keep playing hell on me falling through the scoop if I didn't do something.

So I added a screen to the bottom that wrapped up the side about and 1 1/2", used a farely strong magnet inside the scoop back from the handle . Its zip tied into place and proved a great asset in catching those bobbies and other pain in the butt metal bits.

Hope to be buying a larger stainless water scoop soon ( like tomorrow soon :D ) and magnets will be added.

I have a magnet out of an old microwave oven, it's like a donut and about 2.5 inches across. I used a couple of cable ties to hold it in position at the back of my scoop. Comes in handy for small bits of metal and bobbie pins.

I went to Lowes and got a package of 6 magnets. It really does help.
DC

magnets.jpg

Used to use them, but got tired of messing with cleaning out the giant blobs of black sand they got covered with around here.

I've been toying with the idea of putting magnets in my scoops again after years of not using them.

I'm tired of chasing hair pins and steel hoop earings along with nails and other small bits of steel
/iron along the water line!!

I got tired of trying to keep them clean, but with plastic electrical ties they can be removed easily and once removed cleaned fairly easily.

I'll reiterate what joeb1999 mentioned. Even the small ones can be hazardous, but it increases exponentially the larger they get. They need to be kept away from kids, pets, and people with pacemakers. They have a very strong pull, but are brittle, and can chip or shatter fairly easily. The first thing to do when handling them is learning the best way to separate and/or gently stick them back together if you have more than one you're storing. It's very easy to get careless and have them slam back together, or into any ferrous object. I purchased 3 via the web (pretty tough to find them in stores other than the tiny stuff, primarily because of all the precautions) and most places ship them stacked, with plastic washers separating each one. I would not recommend trying separate them with your fingertips. Most will find it nearly impossible, and you'd also be headed for some pinched fingers. Secure the stack in your dominant hand as you would a roll of coins With a solid grip, use your thumb to slide the top magnet towards your other hand. When you feel the magnetc pull giving way, grab the magnet with the other hand and put it down on a safe spot. Reverse this process by carefully sliding it from the side, back to the stack of magnets, making sure you have the plastic washer in place to give them that slight separation. At this point I usually place the stack back wherever I've been storing it, usually in an out of the way spot (in my case, a metal shelf bracket) out of the reach of munchkins and electronics. I realize I'm making this sound like the handling of nitroglycerin, but it is very easy to make a painful or expensive mistake with these things.

Since I recently added a White's Dual Field to my arsenal, I knew I'd be wanting to add a magnet or two, to my scoop. SInce my scoop is made from non-magnetic stainless steel, it would require securing the magnet(s) in some way. As you can see in the first pic, I'd decided on a ring magnet with epoxy coating. Standard neodymium magnets have a thin nickel plating which doesn't hold up for too long in the sandy, rocky, and, often salty environments we deal with, if what I've read is correct. I may test some of the disc variety (about the size of a nickel) that I recently found at a local hardware store, to see how long that plating holds up. Back to the ring magnets....when deciding how to secure it to my scoop, I bought stainless and rubber washers of roughly the same diameter, and stainless bolts and nuts. I already had nylon zip ties at home as an alternative. The epoxy coated magnets in the ring variety are not as common, but I managed to get them from one of the biggest providers online.....not cheap....between 5 and 6 bucks a piece, and the shipping brought the total for 3 to just under $22. I decided to give some added protection to the magnet from larger rocks and metal chunks banging into it by using the rubber and stainless washers. The rubber washers are actually a bit bigger diameter than the magnet, so it's actually totally obscured from view, while in place, except for the edge. Imagine the whole setup like a cheeseburger, where the metal washers are the buns, and the rubber ones are like cheese on either side of the meat (magnet). This is probably overkill, but it also gives better contrast with the metal washer being on top.....most ferrous stuff would be harder to see, stuck to a black magnet and/or black rubber washer. Also, unless you obtain a bolt with an oversized head, you'll need that washer if your scoop has holes the size of mine. Another thing joeb1999 mentioned was gently bolting the magnet in. Even with the washers I've added, I suspect that cranking down on the nut could easily crack the magnet. I'd considered using the nut and bolt arrangement with just a bit more than finger tightness and Loctite. But, in the end, I realized I'd be happier with nylon zip ties, using 2 in the fashion shown, so that if one finally does give (unlikely they'd both break at the same time) from age or exposure, the other would hold it in place (albeit, floppy) long enough for me to replace the broken one. I'll probably put another at the 6 o'clock position. As strong as the one is, I've still seen bobby pins escape it. A second should put an end to most of that. It's easier to zip and trim the ties from the outside of the scoop, but it's obviously a little more streamlined to have the "nubs" on the inside. Sorry about the long-windedness.....hope this helps.
Spungehead
(Andy in NWFL)

P.S. If you choose epoxy coated magnets, and end up with a chip in it, you can buy marine epoxy to patch it....same stuff you may have seen guys use to coat the bottom of a coil, in lieu of a coil cover. Conversely, you could buy nickel plated magnets and epoxy coat them yourself.

Tried my scoop at Long Beach - Lake Erie, Ontario. In no time, the magnets looked like creatures from outer space - they had black earth all over them and looked plain ugly. Each of 1" magnet grew to a spiked ball of 3+" diameter. I was not able to tell if under all that muck there were any coins or anything else... Well, no coins. Few small nails and such. All in all, hunting the Long Beach was a total bust. Just some hairpins, loads of nails, more nails than some more nails and wires and few led wheel balancing weights. Mot a single penny. Maybe they were some on the beach or in the water but, they were beyond my skills in using Garrett Euro Ace. Simply, way too much trash for me to be fun for me. So much that machine's pinpointing was totally useless on better sounding targets - if there was a penny or even a pull tab around, it had 100 nails right next to it. Also, I guess, big part of the problem was all the fine, powdered, iron in the ground. Maybe a machine that could be manually balanced + a small coil would do the trick. Than again, somebody with more experience would surely do much better than I did.

Maybe some one beat you to that beach.
Chaulk it up to experience and a learning exercise.
That is black sand and the more there is of that
the harder it is to detect the site.

I mounted a magnet jut inside the lip of my sun spot scoop. Catches bottle caps, bobby pins nails and wire quite well and is easy to clean off at this location

Claytargethntr

You do not have to buy Magnets. Just look on any street curb or a Flea Market Dumpster.Someone was throwing away an old Microwave this weekend. It took me only 10-15 minutes to get the Magnets out. Be sure to de-entergize the stored power. I only need to use one of these Magnetic in the bottom of my Beach Scoop. I use 3 of the zip ties and they last over a year. If I find any fishing leaders with fish hook, I remove the hooks and store then on the magnet. These magnets are powerfull and will it will pull one toward the other one in about a 3-4 inch range.Don't let them pinch your Fingers This is 1 of 2 --2inch magnets today

I use the magnets out of old hard drives they are very powerful and they have holes to mount them and easy to take out.