Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Scored a rare Key Date Merc yesterday. :)

trojdor

Most of you who've seen my posts recognize the fact that I don't normally post finds....
I have absolutely nothing against those who do, and in fact I encourage it...I'm just private by nature.

Today, I'll bend a personal rule, and post a few pics of a find....maybe it will encourage someone to get out and detect...but first the story of this hunt;

Yesterday, I took the CTX out hunting in the morning (to beat the monsoon rains) with a fine fellow detectorist who goes by CZconnoisseur on the XP Deus forum here.
He's an accomplished hunter, knows his machine well, and is a consistent finder of old copper and silver in heavily pounded 'worked-out' ;) parks.
(Which as we all know these days, takes considerable skill and effort.)

I showed up a little groggy, having gotten about 4 hours sleep, and we started working a particularly trashy area together.
CZconnoisseur almost immediately got a deep hit with his Deus, that I confirmed looked good to the CTX...hovering around 12:40-ish....and he proceeded to pop out two Indian Head cents stuck together.

A few minutes later, he gets a similar sounding deep signal, and I once again confirmed the similarity to his first target, and up pops another Indian Head!

I had been chasing gold/foil signals...apparently hoping to add to my aluminum collection...but decided I needed to seriously find some high tones in the mess.

Found a good signal at 7ish inches and popped out a 1920 wheat.

Then, hunting in pinpoint trace mode among the trash, I saw the beautiful 12:45 appear and disappear on the CTX display a few times, and the trace paint a nice clean blob, so I dug.
Right around 8 inches popped up a pretty little encrusted silver disk.

Note that in our ground, any coin can get a crusty mineralization deposit and/or corrosion, and this was no exception. It was hard to tell what it was at first.
Being careful to dab with water, I could just make out that it was a Merc.

Being cautious not to scratch the coin, I water cleaned enough of the date to see that is was 192x something.
CZconnoisseur half jokingly said something about it perhaps being a 1921, so (since he can focus up close better than I can), he took a look for me.

"It is...I'm not kidding...it's a key date 1921," he said. Since I couldn't make it out, I kept my reserve in case I used my loupe at home to find it wasn't.

The sun came out for a while and heated everything up, and aside from a few more wheats and clad, we didn't find much more before it clouded back over and the thunder, lightning and torrential rains began.

Back home, I dried out, and gently ran enough water over the coin to see the 'D' mint mark on the back. Whee. :)
There's still some ground 'crust' easily seen on the coin...(it's not pitting), but because of it's potential value, I don't dare clean it any more myself...I'll probably have it professionally cleaned and graded.

So here's what this 1921 D Mercury dime currently looks like after being in the ground for just shy of 100 years:
:)
mike

As nice as that coin is they may have had a few in that holey pocket that they just picked up in change.
Look for the rest!!
Great find... Congrats

Now I know why you don't post finds now I'm jealous geeze second 1921 posted here I can't find one of those for the life of me .Found the 16d the only ones I need are the 21 s and overdates. That's close to a xf and a real beauty . :thumbup: sube

Congratulations on your 21 D Trojdor! I found one last month but yours looks a little nicer.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,2288287
I was surprised at its value. A local coin dealer offered me $350.00 for mine on the spot but told me it was worth around $500 or maybe more.
I might send mine in for grading too.
He used 100% acetone to clean mine up a little for me. Still needs some work. He lightly rolled it on with a Q-tip. He said don't rub the Q-tip or use too much pressure.
No fingernail polish. Only 100% acetone. You can soak it in acetone too..
Don't take my word for it though. Do your own research and check with a respected dealer.
If you are sending it in for grading you might be better off having them restore it for you. You have a nice coin there.
I learned a lot about coin values and how fast they can drop from just one swipe of your finger trying to read a date.
A coin like that can drop $100+ from grade to grade and even more if it gets scratched or improperly cleaned.
My dealer told me that one reason my coin was valuable is because it real hard to find ones that haven't been improperly cleaned or dipped.
I like the fact that you found it using pinpoint trace. Makes the story even better.
Bryan

Bryan V said:
Congratulations on your 21 D Trojdor! I found one last month but yours looks a little nicer.
I like the fact that you found it using pinpoint trace. Makes the story even better.
Bryan

Thanks Bryan...:)

When the trash gets too thick, I find it necessary to either switch to pinpoint trace, or move elsewhere.
...and since 'elsewhere' is getting harder to find, I try to adapt.

hh,
mike

PMonday said:
nice find, what are you going to do with it?
HH

Good question. Haven't completely decided.
I'll probably have it cleaned and graded...depending on results, I may keep it as an investment.

mike