Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Screen and buttons are they scratch proof or do we need a cover

Blank Planet

n/t

Man, you need to get some rest. You just asked this question yesterday.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,1707884,1707884#msg-1707884

yeah i know but the answers come from people who don't have the machine, so i will take it from your reply its not scratch proof and i need to have it covered i like to look after my gear so its important to me. reason i really wanted to know in one of Mark's videos he said op's bit of dirt on the screen and just wiped it off with his dirty glove now this either means its scratch proof or he doesn't care if its get scratched just trying to work out which is true?

BP

Nothing is really "scratch-proof." You will need to put a screen protector on anything that you want to keep scratch free. One thing I don't know is how well all these screen protectors hold up in the water as they are adhered using water. Might not hold long but I will be doing it to mine as soon as I get it on Monday.

does that stuff cover the bottons too? thanks for the reply :clapping:

BP

Yes it does. I usually make a template by putting blue painters tape over the area I want to cover and then I use an Xacto knife to cut the shape of the tape. I then transfer the tape to the screen protector material and then cut around the edges. The you peel off the painters tape. Then you spray the area to be covered with water and then you stick the screen protector on and push all the excess water out from under it. I then use a hair dryer to cure the screen protector to the screen. Wait 24 hours before using the detector and you are good to go. Hope this helps -Marc

Blank Planet said:
the answers come from people who don't have the machine, so i will take it from your reply its not scratch proof and i need to have it covered

Why would you assume the negative, just because I didn't answer your post? It seems pretty obvious to me that any display screen could get scratched if you don't show a reasonable amount of care. They are transparent and very thin. It is up to you whether or not you want to cover your display. If you do, a product that works well on display screens was mentioned in a response to your inquiry yesterday. I've got hundreds and hundreds of hours on this CTX 3030, all without a display cover. Beaches, yards, fields, timbers, parks, you name it, I've detected there. My buttons still look brand new. I've not caused any scratching when wiping or rinsing dust off the display. It does have a couple small scuffs on it from wiping sand from it, with my hand, in a rainstorm, on the beach, last winter. Guess I got in a hurry. It doesn't effect the display's visibility. But if you look real close, you can see the scuffs when the detector is turned off. When it is turned on, even with the backlight turned low, it does not show the scuffs. HH Randy

hey thanks to both you guys for clearing this up for me i brought the stuff for the ipad can i say that :shrug: really appreciate the time to get back on this matter of the control pad and screen sound pretty tuff so bit of extra protection should be just perfect :biggrin: just want to get it right from the start :)

BP

Here, you can use mine. :rofl:

is that to scale Randy :rofl:

BP

Blank Planet said:
is that to scale Randy :rofl:

BP
Man i hope not cause if it is, well then its the E-Trac all over again..LOL :huh: Oh and P.S I noticed that this bad boy has a built in compass on screen, that's nice i like it. just too bad because i just got a lesche digger with a built in compass..lol Move over John Rambo,

Nothing is scratch proof. If you've had a Etrac you already know how well it's built and it doesn't scratch easy.
Never wipe the dirt off the screen dry, and when you do use a damp sponge and don't worry about it.

If you put a screen protected film on it would have to be done in 2 pieces. The screen itself is a recessed a little. So you would have to put one on the screen and one on the buttons.

had the etrac for several months just today took the plastic film off that it was issued with :biggrin: but its had a cover on and yes its like new and i like it like that, so will cover them both when the zumba shows up, might go get a cover made up for the CTX too just nothing worse than a scratch on my babies :thumbdown:

BP

ptdigger said:
If you put a screen protected film on it would have to be done in 2 pieces. The screen itself is a recessed a little. So you would have to put one on the screen and one on the buttons.

thanks for the tip ptdigger is the CTX not flat like the etrac ?

The military grade screen protector company that starts with a Z. I got an e-mail from them yesterday, they are having a sale 20 to 50% off the 28th and 29th.

BCOOP

MHirschmann said:
Nothing is really "scratch-proof." You will need to put a screen protector on anything that you want to keep scratch free. One thing I don't know is how well all these screen protectors hold up in the water as they are adhered using water. Might not hold long but I will be doing it to mine as soon as I get it on Monday.

I was the original first user of that product that cannot be mentioned. I sent my E-trac in and had it used as a pattern for that company to use. I had asked them to make one for the E-trac and they obliged.

I did some research back then. This stuff is used on the edge of helicopter blades. Specifically Blackhawk and Apache copters.
The blades are turning at some pretty impressive speeds often in the rain. What I learned was that the material sticks and keeps water out because it is almost a perfect seal. No water or air can get under it. It is really tough and can take some impressive hits and abrasions without showing any signs of wear. This stuff was developed to protect the composite blades that are strong but not very resistant to impact from small particles like sand and bugs.

I can't guarantee it, but I am pretty sure it will hold up to being submerged with no problem.

Does anyone know if the anti-glare version of their product is also flexible to fit over the buttons as well? I wonder if it is thicker. BTW - If it doesn't say "Anti-Glare" on it, you got just the protective version with next to no anti-glare properties.
Because I film, I'd like to try the anti-glare version (as in the recently filmed videos you can see the screen glares pretty bad).

Albert