Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

screen measurements

togamac

I often use a ruler to measure distances on my computer screen for interpolating lat. and long. on USGS maps. Can anyone recommend a screen measurement software?

BTW, what accuracy of lat. and long. can be expected on USGS maps before satellites?? I have no idea how they did what they did! God Bless them! .

The ruler would need to be related to the resolution of the map.
say a usgs map at 1,24000 would use a specific measuring scale made for that map.
I just use google earth anymore so i don't have to measure with a scale.
there is a measuring tool built in.

Thanks Bob. I should have mentioned that I use the measurements to determine a ratio. Therefore, the scale isn't important since the units of measurement cancel out.
For example, to determine the location of a feature between latitudes 5 minutes apart, I measure the distance A between the 5 minute lines on the map in inches or millimeters, measure the distance B to my point of interest, divide B by A, multiply the answer by 300 seconds, and add the result to the known latitude on the map. I then go to Google Earth and use the measuring tool to pinpoint the item.

I've found this method to be a good alternative to overlaying on Google Earth where I have problems aligning features. I've managed to find several old foundations that I was not successful in finding by overlaying.

awesome,glad you put the specifics in,sounds very interesting!

I use Screen measurement pack. Used it for years. I would ask for the 3.2 version of Screen Calipers, as the new one does not allow you to set to screen measurement.

Let's say for instance, I have a screen of a topo map showing. I go to whatever resolution I choose, and then go to the bottom and set the screen calipers for the distance from 0 to 1 mile. Next, I can go to any reference point on the topo map and measure to wherever I want to. Now, a caveat to that, is that IF you change the zoom level for the topo, you will need to go back and repeat the calibration.

Now, I use Screen Potractor sometimes from the same company, to determine the angle of point b from point a. I can then assume that the angle will be consistent on Google Earth.

So, I get the topo or other reference map calibrated, then switch to Google Earth. At this point, I use G E's distance measurement, and sometimes, use the Screen Protractor to show me the relative angle from whatever point A reference to Point B destination is.

It is much easier to do this, than to explain it.

I have used this for years and it works. I also use Overlays as well. I will tell you in my part of the country, the roads have changed significantly, and the topos are not always right on. My method is, imho, faster in those instances.

My $0.02 worth.

HH

Gitterdug

Thanks Gitterdug!
The angular thing piques my interest. I've heard of triangulation, though never tried it myself, and with a protractor I imagine it'd be easy to do.
I'll look into that measurement pack.
Thanks again.