Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Screen overheating

Smooth23

I'm wondering if anyone else has had their screen overheat? I was out detecting for about 45 minutes in the 95 degree heat the other day. I had my sunray rainjacket cover on. Anyhow, I was detecting find, then I noticed the screen harder and harder to see, I thought it was just glare playin mind tricks (despite having my nuview anti-glare thing on, which works awesome).. Finally after detecting a bit by sound alone, I popped off my cover and noticed the control box was very hot, and that was causing the LCD screen to be black. Of coarse its fine when it cools off. Whats up with that?

I would hunt with the cover off in extreme heat......NGE

yes, this is common
also be careful leaving ET in hot sealed up cars

t59

Thanks for the heads up. I put the NuShield on last week and I love it. I hunted without my rain cover and it worked great. I read in another thread that somebody was using both so I found my hood and put it back on tonight. Now I think I'll take it off again and do the summer without it. The NuShield is enough to protect the screen plus has the anti-glare feature so that is enough for now.

I noticed this today as well, the screen blacking out. I sure hope it didn't damage the electronics or screen. Mine too seemed to clear up once I got out of the direct sun/heat for a while. Would sure hate to damage my etrac by hunting in the sun and heat.

It's from being in direct sunlight glaring down on the screen. Mine has went blank several times and when I went for the shade it slowly came back to normal.

This can happen on other detectors as well.----I don't think it is anything to really be concerned with--as long as it isn't left or used in extreme heat for an extended period of time.---It certainly can be an in-convenience though, just like the glaring screen.----The Etrac manual states (on page 81) Operating temperature range 32 to 122 degrees F-----and Storage temperature range -22 to 176 degrees F.---------I think one thing to think about though and this hadn't occurred to me before until this discussion came up-----is the build up of heat behing those plastic windows on the Sunray or Minelab rain covers (when used in very hot temps & on long hunts).-----Might be best as one guy suggested, to take the rain cover off during that time.-----------Del

Probably more an issue of the CPU accumulating heat in that plastic "bag," and overheating the LCD. Never thought of the ventilation problems the cover would cause. Makes sense.