Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SDC 2300 Bags Alaska Nuggets

My brother got these eleven gold nuggets the day before yesterday in Alaska with the new Minelab SDC 2300. Largest nugget 2.1 grams and total weight 5.7 grams. I have a similar number but mine are smaller. We are really liking the SDC 2300 for out rainy, brushy hunting conditions.

Hey Steve,

Which detector did you use more on the trip, the Atx or the 2300? Reason I am asking is that I noticed you found nuggets with both, but seems like you found more with the new SDC and just curious if you had more time using the SDC.

Thanks'

Again, always many thanks on your feedback! Ant reason why you are using the SDC more than the ATX? And just FYI, I love knowing ALL the ins and outs of detectors and the feedback helps to educate me. I am trying to decide if I buy the 8" mono for the ATX or continue saving to get the SDC. I know both detectors have their strengths, it's cool learning about each.

Thanks,

I know that I will sell my ATX and buy SDC... for more compact and lightweight construction. I want to travel with all my gear by plane, so...

I can find gold with either. The SDC is lighter than the ATX and coil more resistant, in fact almost impervious to falsing when knocked around. So from an outright operational perspective when faced with 8 hours of detecting and both detectors readily available both my brother and I find we prefer to grab the SDC. It is as simple as that.

Makes sense Steve. What can you offer as far as depth with the new SDC? How does it compare with the ATX?

Thanks,

Thanks Steve

The sdc is a noisy lil bugger but it finds gold .
I don't have touch or knock issues with my atx after a ground balance . But if I don't g/b after a factory reset just brushing the coil on damp grass will false it with sensitivity set at 10 . BTW I factory reset every time I hunt in new ground that way I get the most out of it . Also I set the disc at 3 .. that may help with the touch Issues but I can't confirm that.

The sdc V's the atx using 8" coils . no two different machines ..

It is not as easy as this goes deeper than that, for various reasons. The SDC has the edge 8" mono to 8" mono but what about the other ATX coil options? Unfortunately I am in Fairbanks getting ready to pick Chris Ralph up and head back to Chicken, so I am going to cop out and say it is too early for definitive answers. Suffice it to say I think the SDC will see quick uptake with prospectors while the ATX seems to be finding a role more as a beach hunting and relic detector. I seem to be the only guy posting ATX nugget finds.

The atx is finding gold here in west oz .. it's that most of the guys don't post on forums or are members but it's doing very well and finding gold and plenty of it ... I'm in west oz BTW and kalgoolie is just a half day trip from from Perth . And a trip there for a few days is coming soon .

Good to hear stalker1,

I am hoping to go prospecting in New Mexico and Colorado in September and am taking my ATX. I am just about to pull the trigger on buying the 8" mono coil. Which coil have you and your friends in Oz been using? Anyway, after your trip, love to see pics of your finds.

Most finds are with the dd as those who got the atx just got the dd as the deep seeker package wasn't complete at the time and were waiting for the hard case and coils to arrive some are still waiting on the 8" coil . The 8" coil is worth getting as it will find 0.6g in the dirt here in west oz at about 3" and those who have the 8" coil are Impressed at its sensitivity to smaller sub g gold .on par with the gpx 4000 with the 8" coil . I'm waiting on pmcoils to release the new mono coils for the atx In September " fingers crossed " but I only have the dd as I knew coils were being made for the atx and opted to buy the poverty pack at the time . Even 3 months ago there Is a wait on the 8" coils from garrett as they sell like hot cakes as soon as they come in or filling pre orders ..
Good luck on your hunts Steve. And I will post up some pic's of my trip and hopefully my finds. . I'm also a member on kimbucktwo forums under the name stalker ..

Darren

I was the one on detecting Australia forum who posted up the 8" coil video on sub g gold . And had to delete the link. Forum politics . but it's about sharing info and not hiding it because some die hards don't want to see a cheaper machine kick a gpx butt on small gold ... but it did open a few eyes of those who thought differently on the atx ...

I love seeing cheaper machines outperform more expensive machines. It is all about bang for the buck for the prospector. Competition benefits us all.

Gone again for two more weeks at least. Good luck to you also stalker.

Any new find with the ATX Steve?

Good stuff Steve. .. she's a ripper detector and will pay for Itself pretty quick by the sounds of how you went getting a oz ..
Just out of curiosity did you swing the atx dd over any targets that the sdc found. .

We are in the field prospecting so not worrying about doing stuff like that. The ATX and SDC are reasonably close in performance with the SDC having a slight edge on small gold. I grab the SDC primarily because it weighs less and the coil is more resistant to falsing than the ATX coil.

Wish the gold was all mine my brother and Chris Ralph have snagged most of the gold using the SDC.

Thanks Steve. . Well good luck on finding more gold ... We've had plenty of rain and looks like another week of wetness . That means another two weeks before I get to go out as the red dirt here is sticky and boggy where I want to go ... plus The wife has a broken arm and I've been doing .my duty to help . The gold ain't going anywhere .

4.2 pennyweight, almost 1/4 ounce, I found in my last couple days detecting with the SDC 2300. I could not be more pleased with this detector. The only thing I wish I could add is a volume control.