Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Search-Dig sequence?

FB49

I'm still pretty new to detecting and have found a sequence for search-dig that I'd like your feed back on. I glued little flags to some 1/16 inch diameter, foot long, steel rods and when I go out detecting, I concentrate first on just detecting and I carry only my detector and the flags. When I get a good target, I mark it carefully by centering a flagged rod at the exact location of the hit, and then move on to find the next target. Sometimes I leave a disjointed trail of flags, sometimes the flags show a pattern like maybe an old sidewalk, trash dump, or a house foundation line. After I've placed 4 to 7 flags (depending on how long I expect to be there), I move into the second phase. I park my detector and strap on my web belt with the digging tool, pin pointer, etc., pick up my spade shovel and a soft kneeling pad, and head to the first flag to dig. This sequence breaks up the detecting phase and the digging phase so neither becomes boring. Do any of you use a similar method? Just curious. Thanks.

What you are doing is essentially an evidence/crime scene search......there is nothing wrong in doing this but I would use this in doing a very specific search pattern, say like trying to follow a burglary suspect who is dropping spoils while running away (been there done that)! If it works for you and you’re getting finds in a more timely manner then work it. Otherwise its a bit of a waste if just coin shooting a quick area.

Those flags can be handy if you have onlookers you think are wanting to give you trouble, especially park personnel or even police cruising by. I've thought about using flags until people clear out, and then go back and dig. I never actually did it, but I do have a bundle of flags in my gear.

I have the shorter flags in my gear. Another tip, I found using bright colored golf tees (blaze orange or bright pink) can be placed in short grass or spotty vegetation and not draw as much attention to walker bys.....

I've ben using red flags (Lowes and Harbor Freight) for years in the farm fields around here. Some of the fields are 200 to 300 acres. This is not an everyday thing but only to see if patterns exist. I do it to help orient my finds. I also use the flags to tell me where I need to start the next hunt---end of rows. To each his own.

I use flags in some places where it's easy to miss a course and miss an area. For example, in an area with many trees and fallen branches. What I do is draw a 2m.X10m grid. (for example) and pass the coil meticulously. That way I make sure I don't leave anything behind. When I finish, I do the same thing again parallel to the previous one. It is more or less what archaeologists usually do.