Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Searching excavators dirt

coin50

Has anyone ever had the opportunity to check out an area where an excavation company dumps the dirt and rock from areas that they excavated around sidewalks, etc.? If you have, did you have any luck? I am trying to secure permission to do so at a local company.
Thanks

yes i have and i found lots of great stuff , much of it was dug grom depth that no metal detector could ever find , you know it is common practice for excivators to take all the top soil and put it in piles and after construction put it back down this can take deep coins and reposition them wehar you can get them even whith a shallow machine I JUST LOVE DIRT PILES look for sighns of human occupation like brocken dishes nails and GO FOR IT

Indeed seeing some local construction asked the supervisor for permission and not granted..Heck just watched where the truck dumped the dirt..Two seated dimes and a large cent made me a believer...Club members have had similiar success and some even raked the piles for more coverage and some nice finds made..
Actually the best dirt to search as they remove inches to put in a draining material ash of some sort....my advice go for it as it sure has potential....

Dirt piles.......you bet. Here is one from yesterday:

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,1204943

Thanks for the advice everybody! I just got permission today! I hope I can get out tomorrow, but it is suppose to rain. There are at least 100 piles out there! It's gonna be fun!
Thanks again!

Good luck!

I don't get out much, but Sunday I MD'ed a pile of dirt from over 200 homes.

I couldn't walk up the sides of it because it was too steep and dangerous. It was so big there were wet areas in ravines and high dirt cliffs. On the back side I found a road that went to the top. I thought I was walking up a grassy mountain meadow in between the hill sides.

They are making a new freeway into town and saved the top soil for the new grassy areas around the walkways.

I didn't find much and there was lots of trash. But why should I? I have been MD'ing these homes for 3 years. I wouldn't have left anything in the ground.:rofl: I have found many coins from the 1800's in some piles in the area. GO FOR IT!

It's worth while if you know where the dirt is coming from. Remember a post on the California forum where the poster said that they were tearing up the sidewalks and hauling the dirt away from an old part of town. He followed the truck and spent weeks out there with a rake going though the dirt. He found a ton of oldies and artifacts. If I remember right this was in July and people thought he was nuts for being out there in the hot sun raking down huge piles of dirt :detecting:

Hi Randy; He was nuts.I know the feeling well.I get delirious every time I find a hot spot. :lmfao: PEACE:RONB
On Dirt Piles GO FOR IT.!!!!!!!! :detecting: :thumbup:

:usaflag:It just occured to me that there is a lot on the other end of town with about 50 piles of dirt mixed with rocks and chunks of asphalt. I'm wondering if this is the remnants of the main road thru downtown that was redone a few years back. I may have to look into who owns it and maybe do a sweep.:detecting:

Hi McDaave; Just a pointer is sometimes asphalt gives off a "HOT ROCK" reading.I've had this happen on several different detectors ith the same results.I think there is some rebar in the asphalt so be carefull ok. PEACE:RONB

Just what I'm doing a work site . Several oldies and made a new friend he told me where they will be working next . And I was told that the guys thought it was funny seeing me digging around . So they felt sorry and said any time they work a spot I'm welcome there .