Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Seated Dime, Barber Quarters And Alot Of Others

floodplaindetector

Finds are Since My Last Post On November 10th. All finds were 100% Etrac And all Public Sites. All of the Barber and Seated coins were pulled from the Dakotas at different sites. I detected on the weekends and I hit er hard over Thanksgiving long weekend as we had exceptionally
nice weather. The ground is still soft which is very uncommon this time of year up here.

Elmy From The Minelab E-TRAC forum worked with me a little and I tweaked one aspect of my settings which I feel helped me hit some good targets next to iron harder (especially the high conductors) and caused me to pull a few more oldies. Thanks Elmy. Appreciate it!

The 1856 Dime was a very deep/crappy sounding signal about 10+ inches deep but I got it to repeat. I pulled 2 large nails out of the same hole. It was pulled out of a very old city park in a larger city. The Coins was minted about 25 years before the town was founded but there was
military history before that.
I also pulled the 1912 Canadian Large Cent and a few silver and old nickels plus that Royal Victorian British Order Cross at that same park.
A couple relics that where a first for me is that Old Mack Truck Ignition Key and That Ox Knob (or Horn ball as it is sometimes called that is screwed on the end of Oxen horns to keep the Oxen from hurting each other or someone).
Hopefully winter stays away for a while.
Thanks for looking!
Dave

Coin Finds
1898o, 1915 Barber Quarters
4 Washington quarters back to 1936
1856 seated dime and 14 other dimes back to 1911
3 V nickels (1900 oldest) , 8 Buffalo Nickels (couple are 1920,1928 and most of others are worn dateless) , A Few 1940s Jeff Nickels
6 Indian Head Pennies Back to 1884
1912 Canadian Large Cent
47 wheat pennies back to 1910

Non Coin Finds
925 Star Earing
Royal Victorian Order British Cross (was about 6 inches deep and read like an indian head penny)
Silver Hair Pin (Stamped 830 (83%) silver)
Mack Truck Ignition Key (H-804)
Part Of 1800s CM&STPRR Padlock (Chicago/Minneapolis & St Paul Rail Road Lock)
Very Old Ox Knob
Part of a metal 1949 Calendar
2 Religious Pendants
Mizpah Pendant
Small Victorian gold plated Pendant with white fake pearl stones
4 H pin
Very old Large Spoon
Bullets and couple musket balls
Misc. Buttons
GroupShot.jpg
BarberQuarterObverse.jpg
BarberQuarterReverse.jpg
SeatedDimeObverse.jpg
SeatedDimeReverse.jpg
SilverCoins.jpg
OldNickels.jpg
MackTruckIgnitionKey.jpg
JewleryItems.jpg
RRSignalLockOldLargeSpoon.jpg

Quite an array of VERY nice finds there, FPD!! You've definitely been busy diggin. Hopefully the weather
will continue to work in your favor!

HH okie

I've always wished they wouldn't have put the date on Buffs on that high spot!

A perfect answer to coinboy's question... is a used etrac worth it ?
Folks, it wasn't me...It was Dave"s experience as he was the one pushing the coil around...all the hard work...he did.
See what just one guy can do who takes the time to learn his etrac ......and not just this post....it is every post he makes that looks this good.
All the research, all the time invested, all the travel time .....it takes a whole lot of everything combined to pull off hunts like this.
FPD....we all are very specially honored to even see such a display of amazing weekend finds....and it seems he gets seated now every post.
Who else can do that ????

AMAZING !

I do that every night in my dreams!

Very impressive he definatly has that etrac hitting on all cylinders.

I'm curious on the changes made to your pattern if its not "top secret".
1. What was inital ussue
2. What changes were made
3. What was the result

If its " top secret" no issues I understand.

Just trying to better myself with the limited detecting time i have. I usually can get out about 5 hours a week.

I do that every night in my dreams!

Very impressive he definatly has that etrac hitting on all cylinders.

I'm curious on the changes made to your pattern if its not "top secret".
1. What was inital ussue
2. What changes were made
3. What was the result

If its " top secret" no issues I understand.

Just trying to better myself with the limited detecting time i have. I usually can get out about 5 hours a week.
The tweak is in all of the crap I posted on this etrac forum.....read thru it ...I have posted what has worked for me....choose to use it or ignore the crap you don't or would not use.
Don't use exactly what I use but incorporate it into you favorite settings and patterns to tweak your own etrac to hit on all cylinders.
Or find a detectorist who is known as a pro and ask to hunt beside him.

Folks, it wasn't me...It was Dave"s experience as he was the one pushing the coil around...all the hard work...he did.
See what just one guy can do who takes the time to learn his etrac ......and not just this post....it is every post he makes that looks this good.
All the research, all the time invested, all the travel time .....it takes a whole lot of everything combined to pull off hunts like this.
FPD....we all are very specially honored to even see such a display of amazing weekend finds....and it seems he gets seated now every post.

AMAZING !
Agreed, I can’t wait to dive into FBS!

The tweak is in all of the crap I posted on this etrac forum.....read thru it ...I have posted what has worked for me....choose to use it or ignore the crap you don't or would not use.
Don't use exactly what I use but incorporate it into you favorite settings and patterns to tweak your own etrac to hit on all cylinders.
Or find a detectorist who is known as a pro and ask to hunt beside him.

Unfortunately, I have no pros in my area. When other detectorist ask me how much an Etrac or CTX cost they almost pass out when I tell them the price.

This is my only source of information.

I have used the Andy S, Big Boys and the trashy park pattern and tweaked them all to my liking. When I hunt with other people, I'm usually the only one to find silver.

I'm getting the Ctx and Etrac hitting on all cylinders. I just don't have a lot of time to detect, so it takes me a long time to compare settings. Plus I did 17 successful recovery calls this summer. That took a lot of my time away from coin hunting. On the other had I can concentrate on the beaches in my area and find 40-60 rings a year.

How about another factor on silver coin potential in a certain area I dont see people talk about. You would swear the 1800's coins fall off the trees in the Detroit(Wayne county) area.

1870 Wayne county population 79,577 people
1870 Grand Traverse County 1286 people

So by the numbers, Wayne County has 62 times more people in it than Grand Traverse County in 1870. If I want to find 1800's coins I should drive 4 hours south.

I will be quiet now and just be a lurker.

Unfortunately, I have no pros in my area. When other detectorist ask me how much an Etrac or CTX cost they almost pass out when I tell them the price.

I have used the Andy S, Big Boys and the trashy park pattern and tweaked them all to my liking. When I hunt with other people, I'm usually the only one to find silver.

I'm getting the Ctx and Etrac hitting on all cylinders. I just don't have a lot of time to detect, so it takes me a long time to compare settings. Plus I did 17 successful recovery calls this summer. That took a lot of my time away from coin hunting. On the other had I can concentrate on the beaches in my area and find 40-60 rings a year.

How about another factor on silver coin potential in a certain area I dont see people talk about. You would swear the 1800's coins fall off the trees in the Detroit(Wayne county) area.

So by the numbers, Wayne County has 62 times more people in it than Grand Traverse County in 1870. If I want to find 1800's coins I should drive 4 hours south.

Oh SNAP!😂😂 NO pros? Notta ONE? That’s gonna hurt when those guys read this....😂😂😂

Agreed, I can’t wait to dive into FBS!

Paulding County, Ohio Population 2020​

Paulding County, Ohio's estimated population is 18,604 my area

vrs

Grand Traverse County/Population your area.....

93,088 (2019)

yes...you have it tough....persistence will get you coins however...even in a rural area....research/location/hard work/luck

Its not the quantity of the people its the quality of their drops. Well someone had to say it..... lol

Its not the quantity of the people its the quality of their drops. Well someone had to say it..... lol
yes...we don't get on the forum to figure out where or how to hunt...we share our finds and what we used to find them....rings included, we all want rings, how do you find them ?
What are you settings....what detector are you using.....all this info will be shared in a post if we want it shared. Maybe some can post how to research an area, find a good spot and obtain permission to hunt it.
We give and may not receive any info....and we definitely do not post we are the ones that usually find the good stuff over our hunting partners.... they would already know that.....nobody would hunt with you....ever !

It is people you hunt with, not against, that will help you become better hunters.....and when they totally smoke you by finding way more than you....get mad ?
Heck no, beg to hunt with them...it may rub off on you a little.

Now it is my time to also be a lurker

Last edited:
we all want rings, how do you find them ?
What are you settings....what detector are you using.....all this info will be shared in a post if we want it shared. Maybe some can post how to research an area, find a good spot and obtain permission to hunt it.

I don't have any secrets and will share if asked. I cannot be out all the time and I'm happy if others find stuff. Even if I give you my settings, you have to put them to use and make it happen.

I use an Excalibur II
Settings
All metal
Sensitivity usually 7.5
90 percent of the time I have the 10 inch coil on

At the beach you have 2 games to play. The fresh drops game and the old deep gold game.

Fresh drop game
If you are retired do what you want you can be out anytime you wish.

If you still work for a living and have limited time know your competition.
1. Know when the competition hunts the beaches you hunt.
2. Pay attention to how they hunt. How deep in the water they go, what areas do they normally hunt.
3. What kind of sand is at the beach you hunt. Hard sand will give you a longer time frame before the ring is out of your detectors range. I have went on recovery calls less that 12 hours after the ring was lost and the ring is almost 10 inches down.
4. Know where the people congregate. A lot of rings are lost by a physical activity or placed in the cup holder on a chair. Know the prime activity locations. Where do people play volleyball, throw a football or throw a frisbe. If they drink and do all these things its even better. Where are people setup with lawn chairs or blankets. People usually line up the same distance from the water. Pay attention who is in the water. In my area the water is cold till about June or July. The kids start swimming about 2 weeks before the adults go in the water.
5. If you want gold detect at the beaches the older people use. I mean people over 40 crowd. Most of the college age to 40 year old people are not spending the money on gold any more. They get Tungeston or stainless. When they get divorced they throw the ring in the trash. One of my customers just got married a couple monts ago. I asked him what kind of ring he got. He got 2 tungsten rings off the internet for $80.00. He has a spare his wife doesn't know about if he looses the original.

Things I noticed in my area. Certain beaches were getting hit on certain days. I adjusted my hunting days to hunt before the other people did. Also they hit the main beach area the most. I started hitting the areas not getting hit by other detectorist first then go to the main beach area. Everybody was hunting in the morning till about 11:00. I started going at 8:00pm till midnight. Once these changes were made my ring finds tripled.

The old gold game.
1. Know your detector and how much sensitivity you can run. Spend the time and bury rings in the wet sand and see how to get your detector the deepest. I took bad advise from a local "beach expert" who has detected the area the last 30 years. The advise was to run the volume on the excal pointed at the E in sensitivity. It gives it a very clear crisp sound on the gold. He was correct, it gives it a very nice sound. What he did not know is the depth on the Excal is more controlled by the volume than the sensitivity. I wondered for 2 years why it was not any deeper than the AT Pro I was running. After running the volume up all the way up the depth doubled.
2. Find older beaches not in use any more.
3. Know how far down the hardpack is at a given lake. The rings will sink to the hardpack then stop. Make sure your detector can reach the hardpack.

I don't have any secrets and will share if asked. I cannot be out all the time and I'm happy if others find stuff. Even if I give you my settings, you have to put them to use and make it happen.

I use an Excalibur II
Settings
All metal
Sensitivity usually 7.5
90 percent of the time I have the 10 inch coil on

At the beach you have 2 games to play. The fresh drops game and the old deep gold game.

Fresh drop game
If you are retired do what you want you can be out anytime you wish.

If you still work for a living and have limited time know your competition.
1. Know when the competition hunts the beaches you hunt.
2. Pay attention to how they hunt. How deep in the water they go, what areas do they normally hunt.
3. What kind of sand is at the beach you hunt. Hard sand will give you a longer time frame before the ring is out of your detectors range. I have went on recovery calls less that 12 hours after the ring was lost and the ring is almost 10 inches down.
4. Know where the people congregate. A lot of rings are lost by a physical activity or placed in the cup holder on a chair. Know the prime activity locations. Where do people play volleyball, throw a football or throw a frisbe. If they drink and do all these things its even better. Where are people setup with lawn chairs or blankets. People usually line up the same distance from the water. Pay attention who is in the water. In my area the water is cold till about June or July. The kids start swimming about 2 weeks before the adults go in the water.
5. If you want gold detect at the beaches the older people use. I mean people over 40 crowd. Most of the college age to 40 year old people are not spending the money on gold any more. They get Tungeston or stainless. When they get divorced they throw the ring in the trash. One of my customers just got married a couple monts ago. I asked him what kind of ring he got. He got 2 tungsten rings off the internet for $80.00. He has a spare his wife doesn't know about if he looses the original.

Things I noticed in my area. Certain beaches were getting hit on certain days. I adjusted my hunting days to hunt before the other people did. Also they hit the main beach area the most. I started hitting the areas not getting hit by other detectorist first then go to the main beach area. Everybody was hunting in the morning till about 11:00. I started going at 8:00pm till midnight. Once these changes were made my ring finds tripled.

The old gold game.
1. Know your detector and how much sensitivity you can run. Spend the time and bury rings in the wet sand and see how to get your detector the deepest. I took bad advise from a local "beach expert" who has detected the area the last 30 years. The advise was to run the volume on the excal pointed at the E in sensitivity. It gives it a very clear crisp sound on the gold. He was correct, it gives it a very nice sound. What he did not know is the depth on the Excal is more controlled by the volume than the sensitivity. I wondered for 2 years why it was not any deeper than the AT Pro I was running. After running the volume up all the way up the depth doubled.
2. Find older beaches not in use any more.
3. Know how far down the hardpack is at a given lake. The rings will sink to the hardpack then stop. Make sure your detector can reach the hardpack.
Thanks....I am sure someone can use this....
I have no beaches anywhere near me...no lakes....a few ditches knee deep.... I am out in the boonies ... just acres and acres of cleared farmland....but thanks for everybody else.

I have no beaches anywhere near me...no lakes....a few ditches knee deep.... I am out in the boonies ... just acres and acres of cleared farmland....but thanks for everybody else.

We defiantly live in different worlds. My county has 78 lakes. Yours is showing one reservoir.

I wouldn't know what to do without water by me. I bought my first boat when I was 16 years old.

We defiantly live in different worlds. My county has 78 lakes. Yours is showing one reservoir.

I wouldn't know what to do without water by me. I bought my first boat when I was 16 years old.
yep...and no swimming allowed....all I have old homesteads and fields....and all of it has been search by many a detector....every park has been detected to death here.
That is why I had to master the very deep signals and the ones masked by iron....the earliest settler came in 1848...most of the earliest places at the latest are 1880's.
So I do have 1880's and up but have found they didn't stay here long , maybe 10 years and left for bigger cities miles away. There is not a bunch of places to search...
And many detectorists searching them.....45 miles east is fallen timbers and indian wars there....but all the troops came through far to the east of so it is out of reach.
Small towns 30 to 100 people mostly sprang up but didn't last more then a few years...AS I said....in the boonies.
I haven never ever detected a beach or had a detector in water.
I am not complaining as I still do very well but it takes a whole lot of research and driving to get to a good spot to detect an area that has already been detected many times .

Elmy, thanks for the reply and taking the time to notice what works the best with the different settings!
I wish I got seated in every post. I will shoot for barber first :)
Dave

AMAZING !

Elmy, thanks for the reply and taking the time to notice what works the best with the different settings!
I wish I got seated in every post. I will shoot for barber first :)
Dave
Just to think I had a part in any of all the coins you posted....maybe wishful thinking on my part, but it makes me happy ! :giggle: