Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SEF 10x12 died today(kinda).... That makes 4 white ones.

burlbark

My sef 10x12 was useless. It wouldnt pick up a can at 12" air testing it could see a penny at 1" air testing, barely. This was the most important hunt I have done in years. I payed the homeowner $50 to hunt his small back yard. :rage:

I hunted with my 5.3 and my 12x15 and the 4x6. At least those coils didnt fail me. Anyway I get home and am tired of sending coils back to Kelly Shmo. I decided to trouble shoot it and see if there was a short in the cable.

There is a short at the control box end of the coil cable. The 4 seperate wires had a squirt of hot glue to keep them from ever touching one another. Well that squirt of glue was done in a quick and rough fashion and allowed the signal wires to touch just barely. As soon as the cable housing had the least bit of tension on it (The cable housing wasnt crimped properly to the box connector) it pulled the mass of copper wires together and shorted out. The hot glue gun they where using must have not been very hot (I got a morning shift assmbly). I was able to peel the glue off and it had zero penetration.

Thankfully it seems to have done nothing to the v3i. So I have seperated the wires and am giving it another squirt of glue. I crimped the cable housing properly and re-assembled. So far initial testing shows it is good to go. Air testing a quarter is back to normal.

Sad, I had the same thing happen when I was hunting with an MXT and a DeTech 5" coil. I did the same fix.

Rob (IL) said:
Sad, I had the same thing happen when I was hunting with an MXT and a DeTech 5" coil. I did the same fix.

I wonder how many of my other coils that I sent back where really okay except for shoddy hot glue and crimping? More than likely all of them. I cant believe that they wouldnt use a hotter better penetrating glue, or a better crimp on the box connector.

I can only imagine the proffit losses just because someone doesnt pay attention to detail.

I wasnt about to send this coil back after waiting nearly a year to get a good one.:crylol:

Thing is that they do not care because people keep buying them even after having to send theirs in 4,5 or even 6 times. Sounds like terrible QC to me.

That is appalling. No place to use hotmelt when a solid connection is required. Thanks for pointing this failing out. I have one small SEF and was thinking about another larger one. Now I am glad I checked this forum. Never know what you might learn.

The glue is used to separate the solder joints. It is just not done well in some cases.

RedRockNv said:
That is appalling. No place to use hotmelt when a solid connection is required. Thanks for pointing this failing out. I have one small SEF and was thinking about another larger one. Now I am glad I checked this forum. Never know what you might learn.

I would not be afraid of buying an sef coil because of this. It was a simple fix. The hot glue is to keep the wires insulated from eachother and is used throughout the electronics industry. It is not used to connect the wires to their appropriate terminals. Hot glue is not conductive and its resistance is higher than I can measure. It is the appropriate application here.

The quality control has gotton better than it was.

If you get a bad one right off the bat you can do 2 things. Check the connetctor for a short or send it back to Kelly Co. You will not lose any money if it is DOA from Kelly co.

Howdy burlbark--

Glad that you were able to identify and repair your coil and I am equally glad that you had your trusty White's coils with you to have a successful hunt. It seems like a letter to the manufacturer of SEF coils is in order. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

It's in Bulgaria. Those Russian scientists had to go somewhere. I used to field test the Excelerator coils and only had the one 5" coil with this problem. I had the same thing on a CZ5 coil.

Thank you for the detail. I bet you just saved someone else great aggravation.

Maybe someone with a good coil (or several someones) could drop an ohm meter across each pin and let us know what the proper impedance is?

hodr said:
Maybe someone with a good coil (or several someones) could drop an ohm meter across each pin and let us know what the proper impedance is?

You should be able to see those numbers on any v-rated coil. They should all be in the ball park.