Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SEF 10x12 pinpointing problems?

JV

I just got a new 12x10 SEF coil and I tested it can go to 15 RX gain and TX boost on and doesn't overload during an air test. BUT I am having problems with it during pinpointing. SOMETIMES it seems to cut out or have a dead spot when I try to pinpoint and hover over a target?? I pull the trigger with it off the target and then pinpoint but when I go over the target there seems to be a dead spot when I hover over the target or sometimes I get two beeps a few inches apart? It works sometimes but sometimes it doesn't. Is there a pinpointing setting that would make this work on my V3i better?

I have really only tested this on the beach for 2 hours last night. I got about $3.50 in change so I am finding stuff but I had to scoop like 3+ times to get some targets. Very frustrating!!

Thanks for any help!

JV Blind Squirell suggested to me to turn on the VCO for pin pointing and this does help, but those larger coils are a pain to pin point with.

" Sometimes I get two beeps a few inches apart?" Indicates more than one target are under the coil. This condition will make pinpointing more difficult and will be common with any large coil.

JV I got the 4X6 coil today. Almost feel I got to you on that trade. I really do not like those big coils. I can tell you the 8X6 SEF pin points great. The 8X6 SEF does affect the depth and the VDI numbers. The Depth on the stock 10" coil I traded you will be right on but the SEF always shows to be more shallow than the target actually is. VDI on a Nickle will be from 19 to 21, mainly 21. Stock coil showing a 19 is almost always a nickle.

Man I wish I could use a sand scoop. Here you have to use the sharp end of a Miners pick the ground is so hard.

Turn your VCO on and practice pinpointing with a coin on the ground and your coil a couple of inches above it. You will quickly learn where the targets will be under the coil. If you try to pinpoint in search mode using the X method, a shallow target will often give you a double beep.

I struggled with pinpointing for a while bue t got the the hang of it. Find a target then leave the coil on the ground turn it 90 degrees and go little left to right and you will find the te target right above the rod connector.

About ready to throw this 10x12 SEF coil out the window.... It passes the air test just fine. I can find stuff just fine. But the pinpointing doesn't work. I have tried and tried. It seems to cut out during pin pointing. Sometimes it will semi-pinpoint on the two sides of the coil but nothing in the middle. I have made sure I was pulling the trigger way far away from the target and that there was no other target around when I pulled the trigger.

Could it pass an air test but the pinpointing be messed up on this coil? I have tried it on a V3i AND a Vx3.... I also tried both VCO pinpointing ON and OFF
It is very frustrating to find a good target and not have any kind of real pinpointing. Am I doing something wrong or is it the coil????

JV In my experience Trash seems to crawl around underneath the ground. Coins on edge will Pin Point off to the side. That being said I do not like the larger coils 8X6 SEF pin points easy and right on. I am set so high right now I move the coil around until I get the over load signal and the target is right under the stem.

I've never had the problem you mention posted before. My 10x12 pinpoints fine.

I haven't had any problems with mine either. When I pinpoint the coin is always just behind the bolt that holds the coil on. It its a bottle cap it will or seems usually a couple of inches off that, but only with old rusty bottle caps. Hope you figure it out its a really great coil.

h2oyo said:
I haven't had any problems with mine either. When I pinpoint the coin is always just behind the bolt that holds the coil on. It its a bottle cap it will or seems usually a couple of inches off that, but only with old rusty bottle caps. Hope you figure it out its a really great coil.

I have noticed the same thing. Back of center.