Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SEF coils no longer available

Finderskeeper

The original SEF coils that were on E-bay and were about the only place they were available nowadays is no longer available from the manufacturer in the US. It is available everywhere else though. Also available through another dealer in the UK at inflated prices. Like $275 US. Seems that they just don't want us to have this coil any more.

Kellyco is the only authorized US outlet, so they are technically not supposed to ship to the US.

I know. Detech seems swamped with making coils for the last 8 months or so. Probably due to the Ultimate's fresh release and trying to meet demand cranking those out. It's not just a BBS thing either. FBS guys have been waiting like us on the 12x10s to get in off and on too. Did you read this recent post by a few who have had success getting their hands on them?

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?21,1773654

The non-official "official" word that I heard from somebody who talked to a high up that should know...Is that there is no official statement from Detech about the SEFs being discontinued at all, for any model detector either. So let's hope.

I think it would be insanity to discontinue that coil, even for the now defunct Sovereign, because the demand seems high for it in both the US and in the UK for the Sovereign, not to mention the Excal is still being made and sticking aftermarket coils on those seems very popular among water and beach hunters. Just look at the WOT. It's big among the beach/water hunters even though you hardly hear about it being used for land hunting. Or the S-12...Very popular among Excal users in the water. I'd think at least that would be reason enough to be continued to be made for the BBS units, along with all the Sovereign coil compatible models floating around out there having been made for 20 years from the original Sovereign all the way to the more recent Elite and then the GT.

If Detech is making the SEF for the long defunct and never real popular Musketeer along with a few other rather obscure machines out there, then why not the BBS units? That's what tells me, combined with the FBS ones being hard to get, that this is just a temporary coil shortage thing due to the demand of the Ultimate right now.

Perhaps they know something we dont.... maybe ML will introduce a new Excal in FBS that can use the same coils.... like the Pro.

Dew

I don't want to see a FBS version. Some people, including myself, find FBS chatters and doesn't get the same depth on our mineralized beach sites. Something to do with the higher frequencies I suspect reflecting off the ground minerals. If you search the FBS forums as well as this forum for those who have used both on the beach you'll find at least some who say that. It was true for me in my specific mineralized soils/sands. Plus the longer more robust and detailed audio of BBS is a big perk for certain kinds of hunting. They already have the FBS water machine for those who like that in their beaches and such, so I'm hoping it'd be a BBS for those of us it seems to work better for. That way people have two options to choose from in multifrequency for land or water that might better suit their particular grounds for some odd reason.

Excellent point. There are probably more coil compatible low freq Whites units (XLT, QXT, 6000, etc) on the market then any other detector models, so one would figure they would be prime candidates for the SEF coils to push depths deeper, separation left/right better, and also to handle mineralized ground more smoothly. If they'd do that I think it would breath new life into the old low frequency Whites line, as there are no DD coils for them, or larger coils than the 9.5" (there are a few examples but they are concentrics and don't get me started on how bad they are). The low frequency Whites penetrated my mineralized soil better than any other single frequency machine I've ever owned or used. Some of the best single frequency units on the market IMO, at least in my soil, but seems Whites has left that for higher frequencies and more complicated machines. Never will understand why they've done both these days. When they offer a low freq/simple computerized unit that still gets excellent depth, along with some bigger coil options, I'm going to be the first in line. They were my first love, and you never really get over that...

If Detech makes SEF coils for very obscure/less popular machines, like even the years ago defunct Musketeer that never seemed real popular, then how they could overlook the low freq Whites is beyond me. I'm suspecting there may be some issue with a DD coil on those units, because far as I know the only DD coil you can get for them is like a 4x6 trash coil or something.

No need for me to do any reading what others think since i may not live where they do..... and like you i do my own testing. I think if you take a look VA Max has a water proof SE that he finds works very well in the water. They only chatter a bit on the wet salt beach surf.... but IN the water they are quiet here in Fl. I also never had a problem on any fresh water beach.

Dew

They even make SEF coils for the Fisher F2/F4 models that run at 6.59khz the same as the Bounty Hunter series. In fact at one time Whites and BH were interchangeable with an adapter. This was along time ago and designs change but if I had a SEF coil for a Fisher F2 I would risk posssible damage and put a Whites plug on it and see what happens?

Sure Dewcon, I won't argue that one bit. All I'm saying is that for some (myself included) BBS seems to be much more smooth/stable and deeper and I only have to figure it's got to be a mineralization/frequency thing as my best guess. For me in my soils and sands it's been true. Different soils different situations and machines. For example, I owned a certain machine (not a Minelab) that was said to get incredible depth a few years back. Even though I knew from experience that any single frequency machine over about 8khz got lousy depth and stability in my soil, I figured I'd try one more time. Nope. It's stability was terrible and it got really bad depth in my soil. In other soils I'm sure it works as people said, but not in mine.

That's why even though I really want one I'm really hesistant to add a F75LTD or a T2SE to my line up. They are said to be really deep for some, but being the higher frequency they run I'm just not willing to risk buying one without trying it first in my soil. Luckily I ran into a friend I haven't hunted with in a number of years and he offered to let me try his F75LTD any time I want, as it's a backup he hardly uses to his favorite machine. I'm going to take him up on the offer, because I'm dying to try that thing out in my soil.

Hey Mike, different coils won't work. It's not just the frequency. The resistance of the windings and a few other specs have to be within a very tight tolerance. All coils, big or small, for a machine for example, will have the exact same readings with a meter if you measure them at the plug. The gauge/length/number of turns of the coils windings, etc, all have to be calibrated in such a way to equal the same resistance regardless of coil size for example. For example, if you read the resistance across the coil plug pins on a Sun Ray 5.5" coil it's going to read the same as the stock 10" Tornado or the 12x10. They all look the same to the machine in that way, otherwise it won't run properly. Don't risk plugging a different machine's coil into another machine. It might turn out very bad things happen.

dewcon4414 said:
No need for me to do any reading what others think since i may not live where they do..... and like you i do my own testing. I think if you take a look VA Max has a water proof SE that he finds works very well in the water. They only chatter a bit on the wet salt beach surf.... but IN the water they are quiet here in Fl. I also never had a problem on any fresh water beach.

Dew

good point and same here, no chatter at the ocean sites I hunt with my Etrac, Explorers Ive used or Sovs, if they are properly set up.

SEF coils becoming hard to get could be many things, company problems being one of them or parts problems. As an example, Tesoro went about 2yrs without manufacturing the Tiger Shark for a simple underwater connector on their coils (so you could change them) and they ended up hardwiring the Tigers.
The minelab coils sure are expensive new so even if they came out with new versions, your gonna pay big for them. Nothing seems to be getting any cheaper but at least some manufacturers are keeping their prices within reach of the average hunter.

Neil.... you are so right its getting pricy im glad when some keep it reasonable for us and still want to give us a good machine. It would be interesting to know if the sell of Xcals increase with no more Sovs coming out.

Dew

Just got off the phone with our friends from Kellyco. They do not have any SEF 12X10 or Sef 15X12 on hand and I was told that there were none on order. Dont know if that is true or not but I was also told that they would not special order one. "We will not special order something that is being discontinued" (Exact quote). Maybe the salesman knew what he was talking about and maybe he did not. Only time will tell.

I meant to say none for the Sovereign GT.

Hi Guys,

We have the 15 x 12 in-stock, and the 12 x 10 is on order for the Sovereign.

Contact me if you are having problems obtaining one.

thanks

Here is a correction to my previous message.

We have stopped reordering the coils for the Sovereign in light of the recent notice of product discontinuation.
We have no stock for the 12 x 10s but we do still have limited stock for the 15 x 12s,($189.95) so order them now so as not to be disappointed.
Coils

Thanks

Kellyco Joe said:
Here is a correction to my previous message.

We have stopped reordering the coils for the Sovereign in light of the recent notice of product discontinuation.
We have no stock for the 12 x 10s but we do still have limited stock for the 15 x 12s,($189.95) so order them now so as not to be disappointed.
Coils

Thanks
Kellyco Joe has anyone thought that the countless thousands of Sov.GT,s that are in use now for many years to come that people would still want a SEF 12x10 coil ? or is it that the manufacture will be discontinuing the coil ? Please be more precise . Thanks Jim

Hi Deepdigger60,

For now we will not be reordering coils for discontinued detectors. Previous experience has shown that the orders for product specific accessories just don't come in after a product has been discontinued.
However, I will investigate the possibility of a groupon type arrangement, wait until we have orders for 10 units and then request the manufacturer build them.

Thanks
:tongue:

Kellyco Joe I called yesterday afternoon and was told that you did not have any SEF 15X12 for the Sovereign in stock. I enquired about the SEF 12X10 and The SEF 15X12 and was told that the only SEF coil you had for the Sovereign was the 18X15. PM me if you want the salesmans name.