Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

SEF coils no longer available

The only aftermarket Sovereign coil I have been able to actually purchase (that I have wanted), is the Sun Ray Intruder S-5 coil. I ordered from Big Boy Hobbies initially they returned my money with no explanation. Finally found one on Detector Depot and ordered today. I have just gotten back into metal detecting...after a bit of a hiatus...finally gave up on finding an SEF 10x12, found one on Ebay UK but the guy won't ship/sell because Kellyco is the only authorized dealer for the US!(What a catch-22 seeing as they are not carrying them!)Saw they have the Ultimate 13, but I am wondering if that is only for the GT (I have a good condition used Elite)as is stated specifically in the Kellyco description...now need to find a good pinpointer.

n/t

It's because of what I said back in June.

I now have no reason to shop at Kelly Co.

deepdiger60 said:
Kellyco Joe said:
Here is a correction to my previous message.

We have stopped reordering the coils for the Sovereign in light of the recent notice of product discontinuation.
We have no stock for the 12 x 10s but we do still have limited stock for the 15 x 12s,($189.95) so order them now so as not to be disappointed.
Coils

Thanks
Kellyco Joe has anyone thought that the countless thousands of Sov.GT,s that are in use now for many years to come that people would still want a SEF 12x10 coil ? or is it that the manufacture will be discontinuing the coil ? Please be more precise . Thanks Jim

By the look of it Detech hasn't discontinued the SEF coils for the BBS units, and I figured they wouldn't, based on some other far less seemingly popular machines they also make them for, and some even discontinued years ago such as the Musketeer. I agree, that there are tons of Sovereigns from the original model, to the XS versions, to the Elite, and now to the GT...That are all coil compatible and still heavy contenders in a detector to find more old coins at "dead" sites or for gold rings at the beach. Combine that with all the Excaliburs sold, and the continued production of the Excalibur, which are just waterproof Sovereigns and so compatible...And it would seem there is a huge market of detectors out there, current and past, that are all compatible BBS units and so potential customers. That makes a huge market of potential buyers I'd have to figure. I doubt there are any other various models of detectors on the market in the same coil compatible quantities of machines, other than perhaps the low frequency Whites units (QXT, XLT, 6000, etc).

I'm sure Kellyco has good reason for the policy of not carrying coils for discontinued machines due to past experience with lack of accessories sales, but I feel that maybe in this case it's a different matter due to the large # of Sovereign models sold for 20 years, the current continued production of the Excalibur, and the large # of active Sovereign users due to them still being among the top detectors in performance and so unique in many ways (detailed audio, analog-like controls, etc). So here's hoping Kellyco decides to change the policy and carry the BBS compatible coils. :angel:

If they don't, Kellyco Joe has offered a possible solution- The possibility to purchase future BBS coils if enough people join together to pre-order from Kellyco. Seems like a reasonable and perfect solution to me. So if I was anybody waiting in the wings to get a 12x10 or the 13" Ultimate coil, I'd start a thread and get 10 people together for one coil or 10 together for the other, and then approach Kellyco and ask if they'll kindly order a batch to fill the waiting customers. Seems like a great idea to me.

I'd also be interested in hearing (?) if Kellyco would be willing to do that with a few other Detech BBS coils that Kellyco never carried but Detech makes. The 10x14 coil (it's not an SEF, but a killer looking coil), and the 4.5x7 (I think that's the right size?) trash coil. Maybe if enough people join ranks to get an order of either one of those together they'd also special order those as well for people?

Detech is an outstanding company in coil design IMO, and it seems the culture over there among detectorists (if you surf the net) is to try to squeeze every bit of performance out of even far more obscure and long discontinued detectors. The people from that country in general seem to take pride in that kind of pushing the edge and tinkering with some rather obscure machines long since forgotten. I suspect that's why they make SEF coils for even the long gone and never real popular Musketeer line of machines and a few other machines that never seemed to be sold in huge numbers. For that reason, here's hoping Detech continues to make BBS compatible coils like they seem to intend to do.

Even if they stopped production of a particular coil for a particular machine in the future, I bet they'd be more than happy to crank out a batch if there are waiting orders. If they don't, expect the Ultimate and 12x10 to demand a premium dollar on the used market. I wouldn't be surprised if they started selling for more than they were new. Eventually I want to get an Ultimate to sit along side my 12x10 because I really like the one I'm testing for somebody, but what worries me is it's a very new coil and in no where near the same numbers out there as the 12x10. So if the worst would happen and Detech stopped making it for BBS units, I bet this coil will be all but impossible to find on the used market, because it's rather hard to find even the 12x10 used even though there are a bunch out there. Just like the Sun Ray S-12 or the 8" Tornado, lack of used ones on the market speaks well to how much people like certain coils.

Hi Guys,

I have discussed the feedback from the forum with our purchasing manager regarding the 12 x 10 Sovereign coils, and he has agreed to make a limited special purchase of these coils. We will reinstate the coil on our website to take orders under the following conditions:
  • Orders will be taken and items shipped on a first come basis, when they are gone, they are gone.
  • Orders will be special purchase.
  • Buyers will have to wait for the coils to come-in.
What we need now are orders.
We'll watch this product carefully to see how this works and consider this approach for other discontinued products in the future.
Hope this helps!
Cheerz

Hi Sovereignelite,

Coils have already been ordered.

Cheerz

From what I gather they aren't requiring 10 pre-orders, but rather already ordered a batch of 12x10s and if they sell fast enough they'll order more. Probably still a good idea to pre-order to you are ahead of the line when they come in and they don't run out.

Hey Kellyco Joe, wondering...Are you guys ordering more Ultimates for the Sovereign too? And have the ones you have already been sold out or do you have some in stock right now?

Also, wondering this...If the 12x10 doesn't sell fast enough for you guy's taste now that the Sovereign has been discontinued, will you guys still order them in the future IF you have say 10 pre-orders from people who get together to pull resources and motivate you so order another batch if they organize and then approach you guys with pre-paid orders for them?

And will you do this/that stuff for the Ultimate too? Thanks.

Hi Critterhunter,

We have 13 " Ultimate DD Coil For Sovereign GT in stock, don't know how long they will last. As I mentioned, we are investigating the possibility of a groupon type group reorder process that could be applied to all kinds of products, but for now this is just under discussion. I'd suggest that if you are interested in either coils for the Sovereign that you place an order now before the Christmas rush gets going.

If in the future we can obtain sufficient orders, and as long as the manufacturer is still able to manufacture then in principle don't see any reason why we could not order them. As you know we have been around since 1955, we try our best to give the customer what they want, and that even includes you guys! (that was a joke)

Let me also mention that we have the Minelab Sovereign Metal Detectors for sale, the GT and the GT Pro with 2 coils, these are great machines as I'm sure anybody who has used one will attest too.

Cheerz

n/t

How does one go about ordering the SEF 10x12, by phone? Also what is the cost if it ends up being ordered. I bought the Ultimate 13" from Kellyco a few weeks ago but would like to have this one also.

Don't forget, I think (?) Kellyco still offers the free shipping special for Findmall members on Detech coils (Ultimate or SEFs). You just tell them you want the "Findmall Special". At least last time I heard a few months ago that deal was still going on as one person said he got it. Saves like $15 in shipping I think. That is, IF Kellyco is still offering it as a Findmall customer thing.