Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sensitivity Zoom Screen on V3i

Shafer44, keep in mind that the V3i is the most advanced metal detector on the market, so advanced, it would take not only a book but probably volumes of books to explain to a novice or layman everything the V3i is capable of doing and how to do it. Be patient in learning the V3i, don't rely too much on YouTube videos, many of them are done by people who are novices themselves. The videos made by an/or endorsed by White's is a safe bet though. The 64 pages of the V3i owners manual just scratches the surface and can not possibly cover everything you need to know to know everything, but it does give you enough info to get started and enjoy the detector and the hobby.

The VX3 manual was written years after the V3i manual and contains more information and is easier understood as well, another good read. One of the best reads on the V3i is Robs Links at the top of the threads and we also have over 37,000 posts on the subject right here........ 154 pages of questions and answers, most answered by the best in the business.

Larry, you are right. The V3i in my opinion is the best detector out there!! It is also very confusing. I have had mine 2 years now and I don't think I will ever stop learning new things about it. There are so many different settings and such that it makes the machine very versatile, but it also makes it somewhat complicated also. Just about the time you think you have it figured out, you discover something else. It is just too bad that some people basically make us newcomers feel like dirt or belittle us with unkind "words of wisdom". This is a very informative forum and it just irritates me when those of us still trying to learn and get things straight in our head receive comments that are insulting to say the least....NOT YOURS!! I can read between the lines and I can also deliver between the lines if you get my drift. I am just trying to make the most of my detecting experience and enjoyable times. When we assume that everyone already knows everything....then why ask? My local detecting friends have helped me more than I can describe as far as learning the V3i and I even find out some things that they do not know about and pass it on to them. A good hobby is one that is shared and one that others pass on their knowledge, so that you understand it even better. I figure if I can show someone how to do something and they end up doing it better than me, then I have succeeded and feel good about passing on knowledge that I may have received from someone else.
Oh, and I hardly ever watch you tube videos, I received a link to do the ground survey for White's and the instructions got to where it says to press ZERO. I did not know what they were talking about so I searched the net and came up with the video that said highlight ground tracking and then press ZOOM. I watched it and then I saw the tail end where he talked about pressing ZOOM to see the Sensitivity settings and the Probe screen. I did not have the probe screen and could not figure out how to get it to come up. Who knew that all you had to do was to arrow up or down and the screen would appear.....not me...nothing in the manual and no one ever told me or showed me. Now, I know!!

Good luck with your V3i shafer44, there is a lot to learn if you want to "master" it, yet some people are very content with using a preset program. Either way the bottom line is getting out and having fun. I am one of the later users, a personalized HiPro program, I ground balance, adjust sensitivity and gain for stable operation and I go hunting. :biggrin:

Larry, What happened to the link for Carl's file (.pdf) for the V3i Advanced User's Guide he was writing?
It had some tidbits and better explanations that were not in the original Owner's Guide.
It would be good reading for the inquiring minds out there. :thumbup:

Larry (IL) said:
The manual really needs to be corrected, the lost signal theory is really misleading but I understand why they put it in that context, "lost signal" is easier to understand for most people.

Actually Rob's explanation is easier for me to understand. The manuals explanation never really made sense to me. But as my wife has told me I am not like "most" people :)

I don't know, it still might be on the White's V3i forum :shrug:

Thanks! Postal it is on the White's site.
Re-reading the manuals after playing with the detector for a while always allows something new to soak in that was missed or not understood the first time.