Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Serious Question..not intended as an argument factor

XLT-user

I notice most Tesoro users, or at least the majority of posters here hunt a lot of tot lots.

Is that what they hunt best, or, are they just handy for hunting Tot lots. What else do the Tesoros excell at ???

Is it the response speed, the weight, the person???????????????????

Fast retune for great target separation, light weight, very consistent in the disc mode, great quality, lifetime warranty, not over priced. I use my vaquero for coin shooting, jewelry hunting, relic hunting at old plantations, on the beach; dry sand, wet sand, even submerge the coil when I need to. I guess its not for everyone with no meter, but I like it..

Its not that they are best at that, it's that they are good for that. Here are some attributes he mentioned:

"Fast retune for great target separation, light weight, very consistent in the disc mode..."

They are also just plain good for whatever other detecting you want to do. It is partly the light weight, which makes them just that much handier to keep along. I use mine for all sorts of hunting.

But, I'd suggest moreover that most "Tesoro heads" are generalists, not seeing themselves as "hardcore," or too good for tot-lot searching.
Some detectorists won't even admit to turning on a detector in sight of a school. Zinc Cents? They never find 'em. Foil wads or pulltabs? That stuff is for wimps.

But Tesoro users aren't afraid to find trash. They'll admit they don't find old silver coins, every time they go out.... and they won't be ashamed to say so. They don't mind using a detector that isn't at the top of all the polls, which doesn't cost an arm and a leg, or is from some far off land.
They are not driven by these things. They are simply more 'laissez-faire.'
Their motto? "Let's go have fun!"

There is another group they share this with: Garrett users.

So it's not that Tesoro's are only good for tot lot hunting. It's that they are good for it.
Maybe it's time you got one?

The lure of the tot lot is not just a Tesoro thing, I think you will find all brands present at one time or another. People visit them because they are usually close to home, safe, and provide good opportunity for all types of finds. Besides, its easy to leave it like you found it when the surface is gravel or dirt. Its simply just getting out and using it, wherever it may be.

n/t

If I could carry it, I may use an MXT.

That sounds like something I would like.

If I could stand tha weight and had a little $$$

I might give tha Minlab Sovern a try.

But my sholder is hurting right now.

I have even cut back. I'm hoping it will be better

in a couple of days. It's supposed to get warmer.

You would be suppprised how a Eldorado can

spot a small piece of gold jewelry in an iron

infested sight.

You may also be supprised at tha depth tha

Vaquero can get on a gold ear ring.

Tejon is even deeper than that.

Tha Compadre is even a gold hound.

They are great with relics/artifacts.

Cost ain't bad.

I just love tha single tone discriminators.

That's why I swing um.

HH,

Tabdog

There's an overlooked item that I like-Tesoro's are "trash talkers". They "click", "crackle", and clip the sounds on items that don't meet the uniformity standards of good items. Not that all of the signals like this are bad, they just give you a mental "picture" of what's in the ground. A broken ring, a coin next to an iron nail, etc. may not be trash, but they will let the operator know somethings amiss.Pretty soon you learn a new language the detector is trying get across and can save some time and effort digging-but in a hot area-I would dig everything.

Tesoro means Treasure, and at 70, I treasure the time I can get out with such light ,fun ,yet mean detectors.Tot lots are happiness, the shooting of fish in a barrel..And, excellent practice to hone your skills....I think " T Heads" are equal opportunity diggers.We don't give a damn what we dig, as long as we are digging...I have had more fun since September 1,08 than I have had in the last ten years...Bought the Silver UMax, then Dave's "V" Out about 40 hours total..Clad and stuff $40 worth.Silver coins. 3 cent Silver,4 dimes one barber one merc.One 46 quarter, one 1892 half, unfortunately has solder gobs on the back..Gold 14 K diamond ring, big cracked diamond., ten dollar gold piece in a bezel.,some other gold bits...Getting ready for the 09 season.Making a list. checking the sites..Going to figure which may be naughty or nice. Have one hunting buddy Dan. youngster at 74..I am just getting to where I think I know what I am doing..May have to help Dan a bit...Poor guy has no idea where we are going, or what I am going to get him into .. I have some ideas, one of which is ,HE IS Going to find a gold ring..Second, we may wind up in the Dakotas going after a 50 dollar slug (gold piece.) Am also checking on an old reservation bar from the 20's. At 70,and 70 plus, you are either going for the gold ring, or watching TV in a rocking chair..T Heads don't watch TV.we dig! Just watch the rack next year.....Cordially NAD

Funny you should say that.

T Heads don't watch TV.we dig!

I watch very little. Watchin

TV gives me tha urge ta

swing & dig.

HH,

Tabdog

I think some of us do tot lots cause they tend to "Pay out", plus you don't have to knock on someones door and hope they don't reject you.
Once you get your yard and the neighbors and family,friends your options start to thin out out.

the lots will replenish over time, at least in my area they do. So if i hit a tot lot odds are in my favor of finding something.

that's my reason

I also use my XLT at the tot lots
HH
pulltab

Schools and tot lots are plentiful, nearby, safe areas to hunt. It is so easy to grab a lightweight simple to set detector and just go for a few minutes between other activities. Sometimes I hunt the schools because I am waiting for an activity to finish and don't want to drive home just in time to I turn around to go pick up at the school. I take the detectors elsewhere too, but most often my hunts are where it is close by and easy to get to.
tvr

Lots of good replies.
Tesoro are light, reasonable priced, effective, quality, with a nice warranty. Oh, and the little ones are just so fun to use.

I :have 5 Tesoros, a White's Classic III coinmaster and an MXT. There are things I like about all of them and several things about them that could be better. While it's always fun to dig a good target, swinging the MXT compared to the Tesoros is NOT fun due to the weight. If I were younger that might not be an important factor, but I'm not. so it is. My wife and I attend several competition hunts every summer and swinging the MXT in those would be a real burden and it's way more detector than needed for the task anyway. For just grab and go, simple, but effective and really fun swinging, it's just hard to beat most Tesoro models.
Others have mentioned the quick retune, separation and discrimination, warranty etc. so I won't belabor any of that, but will point out that there is a very good coil selection that fits a wide range of earlier as well as later models. I think the bottom line for most serious Tesoro users though is they are just plain fun to swing. As to tot lots, they can be a lot of fun as well, no matter what machine one uses. My two bits.
BB