Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Setting Recommendations for new owner?

RacerX

Hi guys, well. I pulled the trigger on the ET much sooner than I thought I would. It should be here next week. :detecting:

Let me say I've been real happy with my V3 and no way I'd ever sell the machine. But, I need to find out for myself how the ET stacks up. I'm not expecting huge increases in depth (my buddy is an expert on his SE and so far the V3 holds it's own in comparison) but in our highly mineralized soil the ET with it's FBS may lock on to deeper stuff a little better (i.e. more stable audio). We'll see. The plan is to make the ET strictly a deep coin machine like my buddy does with his SE.

I have Andy's book and I'm about 1/3 through it (not much time to read - been hunting at night a lot) :detecting:.

I think for the first few hunts I plan to just run in auto to get myself accustomed to the drastic change in audio (first ML machine) and then bump up to auto+ and so on before getting into hot custom programs...... but I seem to remember reading somewhere that some of the higher signals need to be accepted or run the risk of discriminating large silver. Can someone elaborate on that? Is that something covered in the book? Cause I may not get that far in the book before the ET arrives.

Any other glaring problems like that that I should know about?

How are the headphones that come with the ET? My only quality headphones are the wireless for the V. Obviously thats not an option. The phones that come with the ET look similar to the V's. I'm hoping they are as comfortable and at least fairly decent or should I order some high end phones right away?

You'll get deep that's for sure.......I've dug some damn big holes since I got an etrac.....keeping my weight in check ;)

Most good targets appear roughly on the FE 12 line with some exceptions like large silver....but when you go for the deep coins on the edge of detection range the FE numbers shift (in my soil conditions). I find that any coins deeper than about 8" to 10" the FE can sometimes drop down to around FE 18 to 20. Reason I bring this up is I would suggest a wide pattern for deep coins not a tight specific one, I use Andy S's coin pattern (has someone got a link) and it works a treat for the deepies. I'm sure there is a section in Andy's book that talks about shifting FE numbers, have a read of it and it should make more sense.

While you're waiting for your etrac, get hold of the etrac emulator and try a few different patterns and target sets to see where different targets report, play with the different tones and go through all the settings etc etc. If it's not available on this site it should be available on the site "across the pond". It will at least get you orientated and you can hit the ground running when it arrives. Just keep in mind the target IDs on the emulator will be for coins that are not affected by the FE shift mentioned above (bench test numbers).

Once you get out there and get hunting remember that the etrac excels as a tones machine. Just listen for the high fluting tones and just use your ID numbers to help work out whether you want to dig it..........tones first - ID second. ID is not consistent but the tones are.

The headphones are good for me, they are not top shelf, but are quite good.

I've had mine for a year and I still think I get better with it each time I go out.....so give it time. And read Andy's book again after 50'ish hours, it makes far more sense then and a few sections will stand out to you.

Hope you enjoy the etrac as much as me.

Cheers,
Greg

The Koss Headphones that come with the E-Trac are the best in that price range and are very good. Minelab wouldn't match bad headphones to the E-Trac. You might think about getting more expensive ones later on, but the Koss Headphones are good.

Thanks Greg.

I've always been a audio first detectorist. I use tone ID on the whites and VDI has always been secondary if I even look at all so that won't be anything different for me. I overhear my friends SE sometimes and I've always loved the way they sound so another plus I think.

What is an E-Trac emulator? I suppose I should just google it.

John - Maryland said:
The Koss Headphones that come with the E-Trac are the best in that price range and are very good. Minelab wouldn't match bad headphones to the E-Trac. You might think about getting more expensive ones later on, but the Koss Headphones are good.

Good to know. I didn;t want to rush out and get another set right off the bat if I didn't absolutely need them. Also, I have a big head and am willing to give up a little performance for comfort. I've tried on some of the super B's etc and they are too tight.

RacerX said:
Thanks Greg.

I've always been a audio first detectorist. I use tone ID on the whites and VDI has always been secondary if I even look at all so that won't be anything different for me. I overhear my friends SE sometimes and I've always loved the way they sound so another plus I think.

What is an E-Trac emulator? I suppose I should just google it.

It's a full working simulation of the etrac that runs on your PC.

The Koss headphone are comfortable to me and have a good speakers. Order one of the quality stick on screen covers for it, they are very good.

BCOOP

If you like the wireless option on your V3, you can try the # 33-1253 wireless headphones from RadioShack on your E-trac. They are the behind the neck type, comfortable, and rechargeable. There is no lag time and can be run for about 5 hrs. before recharging. The only thing is it has a 1/8" input jack, so you will have to get a 1/4" adapter to use it. I have been using this setup for a year and it works great on my E-trac.