Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Setting up for fast recovery in heavy iron

I have been using my V3i for the past 5 years and have filled some cases with worthy targets through those 5 years. I would like to think that I understand the detector quite well but recently I ran into a situation that has me fishing for a new go to detector. Let me start off first by telling you about my ground and setup I use. The ground I'm hunting in West Michigan is not mineralized and ground probe reads in @ -93. I run the Magic program with a modified Coin/Jewelery program. I start off with my Sensitivity @ RX=8, AM=65, DS=80 I run with a wide open discrimination screen except I reject -95, and +95 I set a zero tone for (-) VDI's matching my ground up to the nail range and set a low grunt (15) for nails "I like to know where they are" and various other tones into, and thru the non-ferrous range. I manually ground balance with it locked and an offset of 2 "manually re-balancing every 10min or so." I run 5 band pass filters with my recovery delay @ 50 unless I'm field hunting with minimal targets then I will run as high as 100. I run 3 frequency, best data and only offset if I am having EMI issues. I normally use the stock 10"DD coil but also have a 5.3 concentric on a lower rod I use in target rich environments with lots of EMI. I have been hunting in a iron infested site "large square head nails" and other small bits everywhere and was missing non ferrous targets that other detectors were getting with ease. Wondering how some of you V owners are setting up for the fast recovery and separation in heavy iron sites? I walked over an area that had multiple copper coins and silver less than 4" and all I was seeing was iron. I have done some testing with the nail board test "which I hate" and am getting terrible results. Have I really walked over that many non ferrous targets through the years not realizing it? Should I be using single frequency with higher filters? Any and all thought would be appreciated.

Howdy voorhees231--

I like your settings. In heavy iron I use the 4x6 Shooter coil and Correlate and reduce Recovery Delay to 40-45 and adjust (increase) Bottle Cap Reject. I also may increase the RX gain to compensate for the smaller coil. I hope that this gives you some food for thought. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I too have been using stereo mixed mode and running low and slow and have squeaked out some keepers. Running the RD down extremely low has helped and raising the ground filters slightly has got me so I can pass the infamous nail board test.

Mixed mode works awesome for me too. I really like this way of metal detecting. With 3 frequencies and excellent ID it works very well.