Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Shallow Silver !!

JohnTN

I found a 1941 Mercury Dime at 2". I have dug many deep coins in the 8" - 10" range just never found a shallow one in this park where modern clad can sometimes be 6" - 7" deep. I usually walk right over shallow coin signals as I hate digging clad. The Etrac is so distinctive on the sound it makes for silver that I could not in good conscience walk over this shallow target that sounded like silver and bang the sound is right even though the numbers are pretty much the same for a clad and silver dime.

I got two merc's yesterday at 4." The numbers for silver are the same as clad, but you sure can tell silver by that screaming warble. Personally, I dig any signal that gives me a warble.

The only Morgan dollar I have found was 2"- 21/2" deep with a clad dime right above it. The area has been hunted by others, and a hunting partner had been over it minutes before me. (He was looking for silver tones and deeper signals) Too bad for him good for me...So sometimes a nice coin is shallow, not often, but enough to make me dig shallow targets....But that is a choice we all have to make for ourselves..HH

JohnTN said:
I found a 1941 Mercury Dime at 2". I have dug many deep coins in the 8" - 10" range just never found a shallow one in this park where modern clad can sometimes be 6" - 7" deep. I usually walk right over shallow coin signals as I hate digging clad. The Etrac is so distinctive on the sound it makes for silver that I could not in good conscience walk over this shallow target that sounded like silver and bang the sound is right even though the numbers are pretty much the same for a clad and silver dime.
[size=large]I know how it feels.................I hunted in an old park for 5-6 hours,and had no silver......Yet when I started to walk back to the car...just by the play ground 100 foot from the car....I decided to catch up on my clad count,& started digging Shallow targets...(4" and less)......cond 45 and up.. I had not went 10 feet,and dug a merc at about 3".......
.....................................................................................In another old park my buddies were getting skunked........It was Insane Trashy,and after about 2 hours they were ready to leave......we took a break,and were talking..They were saying " Have not seen many targets over 5-6"......this place is way too trashy....want to hit another spot near by ?....I said .' I'm doin fine......Got 3 mercs'.They looked at me puzzled and said..' How Deep?'..............I said......all about 2 to 4 inches ..........L.O.L.......................We stayed most of the day,and pulled out a total of 11 silvers for the day between 3 E-Tracs..............I only left with those 3 mercs tho..................on another day.....I took a friend (with his E-Trac).....and his Father with his (DFX) tO A GOOD SPOT (TRASHY THO)........i DUG A MERC & BARBER DIME....... mY e-tRAC BUD DUG A ROSIE ,ih.AND OTHER GOODIES..AND JUST BEFORE DARK.HIS DAD GOT A S E A T E D D I M E ....@ (1")...........Must have been dropped by a sad hunter soon ago.
[/size]
[size=x-large]Hey,,,,,a P.S. to this......................Have you ever dug a merc at 4",,,,,,,,,then 15 - 20' further down ....dug 8" for a Clad Quarter ???.......I have..........and it's a heart stopper ...........L.O.L.[/size]

Odd how that happens. Lately I have been finding wheats not even an inch and a couple inches away is a clad dime that is deeper. I was in Atlanta at a park and I was telling my brother about looking around old trees and there on the ground was a wheat for someone to pick up......... I dug an SLQ at two inches and the clad around was four... The stories the coins could tell if they could talk.

My first Merc with my E-Trac was on the surface!, good tone, repeated, looked and there it sat. Lots of rodent mounds in the area, so thanks little guy is my guess.

What a coincidence! I found a 1942 Mercury dime at ~1" next to a tree in a local park in San Francisco this weekend. I was so excited, given this was my first Merc ever (I've been detecting since Jan'09). Well my excitement was short lived after I realized I had scratched the back of it. Being so close to the surface, I thought it was just another clad and so I wasn't being careful enough with my digging. After digging over 1000 coins, I just couldn't believe I scratched my first Merc :sadwalk:. I hope someone will remember this the next time they get a 44-46 signal close to the surface.

-Alex

I treat almost everyting I dig as a speical coin, unless I am sure it is a penny.

Some time back my wife found a Barber dime in the grass roots in the grassy strip between the road & the sidewalk right beside where we parked the car.----Just a few days ago, I found a "47 Rosie one inch deep in an old park.--That same day & in that same park & in that same area I was digging clad at 6" deep--go figure! :shocked: Fill dirt?--I dunno!--But I could give you a lot of stories like that.--It get's wierd sometimes. :biggrin:------Del