Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

sharping digging tools

Waterdog

A friend of mine who I go metal detecting with had a digger that I tried and it seemed to go into the ground pretty easy. After I ordered mine they told me that they had sharpened theirs that is why it dug so good. Do any of you put a edge on your digging tools?

A friend of mine who I go metal detecting with had a digger that I tried and it seemed to go into the ground pretty easy. After I ordered mine they told me that they had sharpened theirs that is why it dug so good. Do any of you put a edge on your digging tools?
always sharp.....always ready !

You can take a flat file with fine teeth and lightly stroke the digger teeth. Very lightly and only cut one way, and as always taught, a sharp knife is safer than a dull one!!

Sure do! That is a must in my dry, hard, concrete like soil we have in Deep South Texas. Thankfully, most targets I dig are fairly shallow and I make a very small hole and pop the target out with a hand digging tool. I sharpen it about every 3rd or 4th outing. It is impossible to dig a good plug down here. The ground is a clay/sand mixture and sticks like glue when wet and is almost impossible to dig with a detecting shovel when the ground is dry, which it is for most of the year.

It's funny you posted this. I have just gotten over surgery this past June for a left rotator cuff tear and a ripped bicep. I use the Lesche Relic Hunter shovel and really like the shovel. It has the T handle. The shovel has a rounded space edge and not the V pointed edge. Sometimes digging in our red flag here in Georgia, I can feel the jar in my shoulder and I most certainly would not want to go through that and rehab again. I don't know if I should take this to a machine shop and have it modified to where it digs easier, or try and get another shovel. Modifying the shovel would probably be cheaper. Any ideas?

Confetrit I used to sharpen my tools but soon discovered that it didn't make any difference. 50 miles south of Augusta you could actually actually dig with just your hands most of the time. I sure don't recommend it. I guess it depends on the type of soil. Any friend, farmer, etc. that has a cut-off tool can give you a "V" point in about 5 min. if that's what you want. I bought one for $20.00 at Harbor Freight that works for me, Good luck

Waterdog, as an ex-machinest I can tell you its like night and day. Just learn "how" to sharpen a tool, go to utube and watch. Theres a right way to do it.