Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Should i get an :whites: MXT PRO? :detecting:

KyleTheHunter

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums here and i must say i am enjoying the community. I have been detecting for about 6 months now and i love the hobby. It is practically an obsession now....it's my life! I have had a Bounty Hunter and the quality just isn't there, i want a good detector! I live in PA but i go down to NJ all the time because i have family and friends there. I love detecting almost everything (except :pulltab:!!!) I have been saying my money up and selling things for the past 3 months for a top of the line detector. After all my research i am really liking the MXT PRO. The main things i like about it is it's long battery life, VDI and especially the pinpoint mode. I also like the price point because it's going to allow me to get accessories and another coil for it (4x6). but i guess the price point kind of worries me also because there are the models like the spectra that are $2,000. So my question is, is it worth it and should i buy it? Like i said before, i really like it....it's just that i have heard people telling me to get something like a DFX 300 or a V3i...but i don't have the money...not to mention i really don't like the battery life. I really want to get it, just that people got in my head and now i am having doubts. I have been dying to get out and hunt and i really need to get a detector ASAP. All advice and opinions welcome! I appreciate it. :biggrin:

Thanks,
Kyle K

The MXT is easy to get out and start detecting. I like the 6x10dd & 5.3 coils for all around use especially in iron trashy areas. The depth is very good. You can't go wrong with an MXT. Great coin & relic hunter. Get good headphones too.

Rick N. MI

Can't go wrong with the MXT line.
You should be able to pick up an MXT or Mxt 300 on the after market in the $500 to $600 range and maybe have room for the extras....
I've had all of them and still have the MXT & MXT Pro.
Now I run my Pro as my main machine and have the standard MXT as backup.
The 6X9 is my main coil and all the rest as conditions arise.
If you can swing it I'd look for a PRO new or used.
Whites service is second to none if problems arise from used.
With the PRO you won't have any need to look for an up grade.
I run with others with top of the line machines of all makes and keep up or surpass them all the time.
Good luck out there...

HH

IMHO either version is good, but if I were buying new, I'd buy the PRO.
BB

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering, do you think this is a good idea? --- I was thinking about getting the 4x6 Eclipse shooter DD. What i was planning on doing was using the 12" coil as my main search coil and if i just hit an area with alot of trash i would just slap on the 4x6. I don't have enough money at the moment to get 3 coils, so i would just keep the 12" that comes with the MXT Pro, then use the 4x6 whenever i see fit. What do you think?

Mxt all the way. I don't think you would like the DFX.

Try the 6X10 dd and the 5.3" coincentric. Cant go wrong. Those are 2 great coils to have in your arsenal that will give you a variety of hunting options. JMHO. cch

I have heard that you can call Whites and arrange to get a different coil than what is advertized with it. They may want to adjust the price but don't buy it with a coil that won't get alot of use. I have the stock 950, 5.3 and the super 12 inch. The 12 inch coil is the only coil that sits all the time and doesn't get much use. The reason I don't use it much is that it requires a clean area (little trash) to use and the ID is not very accurate. If it is used where there are targets close together, it cannot seperate well.
By far, my most used coil is the 950 and if your still collecting opinions be sure to consider it with your initial setup. The 5.3 is good for high trash areas where targets are really close together because smaller coils seperate targets easier(fewer targets under the coil at one time).
I use the MXT PRO and love the target ID(multi-tone). You can HEAR the difference between a Zinc penny and a Copper penny! Thats how variable the audio is with the PRO. I run with the disc set pretty low so I still hear all the junk, it gets deeper that way. But I can hear the difference between junk and good targets so I'm not constantly trying to read the display. That high tone always stops me in my tracks, while pulltabs, ect, are obvious and I keep swinging.

One other thing to consider...
Since the 5.3 covers less ground than the 950, it will take about 50% more time to cover the same amount of ground if your not skipping ahead too fast with each pass. Remember, both these coils use a cone shaped signal. So if your looking for coins 6 inches deep, the 5.3 coil only covers an area about the size of a dollar coin at that depth. If you move just 1 inch forward, that coin is already outside the coils detection ability. Its VERY easy to miss a penny with one pass and the very next pass you are already beyond that penny so you never know its there. The 950 covers more area and still seperates well but some seldom areas can be too trashy for it to work well. To have a perfect coil at all times you need an arsonal, but with some opinions you should be able to get a (TOP 3 COILS) list.

Aarong81 said:
I have heard that you can call Whites and arrange to get a different coil than what is advertized with it. They may want to adjust the price but don't buy it with a coil that won't get alot of use. I have the stock 950, 5.3 and the super 12 inch. The 12 inch coil is the only coil that sits all the time and doesn't get much use. The reason I don't use it much is that it requires a clean area (little trash) to use and the ID is not very accurate. If it is used where there are targets close together, it cannot seperate well.
By far, my most used coil is the 950 and if your still collecting opinions be sure to consider it with your initial setup. The 5.3 is good for high trash areas where targets are really close together because smaller coils seperate targets easier(fewer targets under the coil at one time).
I use the MXT PRO and love the target ID(multi-tone). You can HEAR the difference between a Zinc penny and a Copper penny! Thats how variable the audio is with the PRO. I run with the disc set pretty low so I still hear all the junk, it gets deeper that way. But I can hear the difference between junk and good targets so I'm not constantly trying to read the display. That high tone always stops me in my tracks, while pulltabs, ect, are obvious and I keep swinging.

One other thing to consider...
Since the 5.3 covers less ground than the 950, it will take about 50% more time to cover the same amount of ground if your not skipping ahead too fast with each pass. Remember, both these coils use a cone shaped signal. So if your looking for coins 6 inches deep, the 5.3 coil only covers an area about the size of a dollar coin at that depth. If you move just 1 inch forward, that coin is already outside the coils detection ability. Its VERY easy to miss a penny with one pass and the very next pass you are already beyond that penny so you never know its there. The 950 covers more area and still seperates well but some seldom areas can be too trashy for it to work well. To have a perfect coil at all times you need an arsonal, but with some opinions you should be able to get a (TOP 3 COILS) list.

Thanks for the reply. I am really having such a hard time choosing a coil. I am buying from Kellyco and i was going to see if they would allow me to get a different coil. If they will allow me to switch out the coil i was thinking about the 13" Ultimate DD Coil or the D2 10" mainly because i really want to find old coins, mainly colonial. And they can cometimes be 11" deep. At the same time i have been thinking about the 6x10, or the 9.5. But the thing is i am really going for depth like i said because i am getting another coil with my order of the MXT and it's going to be the 4 x 6 for when i hit the trash. So i'm not worried about trash seperation....mainly depth. So, what would the depth differene be between a 9.5 and a 13"?

I think the 6x10dd or 5.3 coil you would use the most especially if there is a lot of iron trash. Right now I prefer the 6x10dd. Now I would like to have the 13" Ultimate coil too but that would be for open areas not so trashy. I would start with the 6x10dd and latter get the big coil.

Rick N. MI

I agree the 6 X 10 DD is the coil that I use 90% of the time on my MXT Pro. Note I got this machine second hand (4 months old) for only $600.00 so there are deals out there.
I have 5 machines and the MXT is by far my go to detector.

Rick said:
I think the 6x10dd or 5.3 coil you would use the most especially if there is a lot of iron trash. Right now I prefer the 6x10dd. Now I would like to have the 13" Ultimate coil too but that would be for open areas not so trashy. I would start with the 6x10dd and latter get the big coil.

Rick N. MI

Thanks Rick. Do you know how deep the 6x10 will go on an MXT Pro? I live in PA and the dirt is very mineralized.

I am also debating on getting the PRO, I now have the standard MXT but the extra options on the PRO sure seems enticing!

jlw said:
I am also debating on getting the PRO, I now have the standard MXT but the extra options on the PRO sure seems enticing!

There are more options for the MXT Pro....but not all that many for the price. I mean if you can get one used....i would do it. The only reason i am buying a new MXT PRO is because i don't have a good metal detector and i do have the money for it. The other metal detector i have is a $200 bounty hunter. If you already have an MXT i would keep it.

Here in N. Michigan the ground is mild. The 6x10dd is hitting all my test coins. A 7 1/2" nickel, 7 1/2" dime, 8" quarter, and 7" penny. I don't know how it will do in mineralized ground. dd coils are better in mineralized ground. I just dug a 1916 wheat at 6-7", the numbers were bouncing all over but it was deep and hitting sometimes on 72.

Rick N. MI

I've read lots of good stuff about the 10" D2 coil from whites. I wish I had one. It must be good because Whites is using it as the standard package coil with their best detectors. I read somewhere that the Detech SEF coils can cause the detector to de-tune itself somehow and requires Whites to re-tune it. They were saying that the Detech SEF coils match up with other brand detectors better and recommended people stay with a whites coil on their whites machine. I have not used an SEF or the D2 but I would lean towards the Whites coil. They obviously know what their doing and have tons of research in their coils. Unfortunately, the D2 is pretty pricey at $225. Rarely is one listed on Ebay but there is one on there now.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/Whites-D2-10-Search-Coil-For-Spectra-V3I-DFX-MXT-M6-/251050730042?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a73ca223a

Good news is, They really seem to hold their value. This slightly used one is about $30 under new price with over 5 days left so it will most likely reach NEW price before ending.

Aarong81 said:
I've read lots of good stuff about the 10" D2 coil from whites. I wish I had one. It must be good because Whites is using it as the standard package coil with their best detectors. I read somewhere that the Detech SEF coils can cause the detector to de-tune itself somehow and requires Whites to re-tune it. They were saying that the Detech SEF coils match up with other brand detectors better and recommended people stay with a whites coil on their whites machine. I have not used an SEF or the D2 but I would lean towards the Whites coil. They obviously know what their doing and have tons of research in their coils. Unfortunately, the D2 is pretty pricey at $225. Rarely is one listed on Ebay but there is one on there now.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/Whites-D2-10-Search-Coil-For-Spectra-V3I-DFX-MXT-M6-/251050730042?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a73ca223a

Good news is, They really seem to hold their value. This slightly used one is about $30 under new price with over 5 days left so it will most likely reach NEW price before ending.

Thanks Aarong, I am going to see if Kellyco will swap it out the 12" stock for the 10" for free....but i doubt it. Heres to hoping.

[size=large]don't know why your stuck on kellyco for the machine. there are other dealers who will not argue the swap idea. you what a 950 then they'll give you the 950. and the price will be less.
i think it was chuck @ Indian Nations Detectors who has a used MXT for around $400 + dollars. that would be a real good buy and you'd have enough for another coil. don't know if he still has it. it was just a few days ago and i don't know what coil is on it or what else comes with it. it's worth checking out.
his info is on th Garrett AT PRO forum. main header.
HH [/size]

widebody said:
[size=large]don't know why your stuck on kellyco for the machine. there are other dealers who will not argue the swap idea. you what a 950 then they'll give you the 950. and the price will be less.
i think it was chuck @ Indian Nations Detectors who has a used MXT for around $400 + dollars. that would be a real good buy and you'd have enough for another coil. don't know if he still has it. it was just a few days ago and i don't know what coil is on it or what else comes with it. it's worth checking out.
his info is on th Garrett AT PRO forum. main header.

HH [/size]

I am stuck on them because that's where i am getting all my accessories also. I don't want a used one....i personally want a new one...but thanks for your reply.