Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Shovel for metal detecting.

hunter12

I always use a Lectshi digger. There are some places where the digging is hard, old saw mill, old gravel pit grounds., state forrest land. I'm looking into getting a shovel possibly. These places I won't have to worry about the size or neatness of the plug and hole. Any suggestions. :detecting:

I use the 36” double cut Lesche (4.5 x 7.5”) almost everywhere. I know what your talking about tho when your in a place not sensitive to digging. I assume your speaking relic or cashe digging? A short handled standard type shovel is quick and dirty and Ive seen a “root slayer” style used as well so its maybe a preference thing.
I will touch briefly on one item we all need to remember. On state, federal, and private timber corporation grounds, if you cut through roots and the tree dies or becomes diseased etc the owner can collect up to three times the estimated value of the tree at maturity. This is a civil court proceeding, not criminal (unless they can prove damage was intentional) I have seen this happen in Idaho (law basically the same across the states), once with a xmas tree cutter and once when some couple tried digging seedlings for their own landscape. Trust me, that got expensive.......

I just went and bought a 4’ D handle spade and cut and shaped it the way I wanted. Perfect for field hunting and will even cut a really neat plug.

Crossover tool you can use almost anywhere but works in rocks and roots is a lesch raptor fitted with a D-handle from a worn snow shovel.

Thank's all. Ronstar, I would mostly be out in fields and cleared trails. I still have my army entrentching tool, lol shovel, but's I think I need a shovel with a longer handle.

I use a 36 inch version of the Lesche made by predatortools with the serrated edge.
You might know CB....George Lesche is the namesake of the Lesche line, but somehow a family breakup sent him away minus his company, and he then started Predator. At least that’s the way I understand it. I’m sure there are more details than that involved but yes, Predator tools and shovels are VERY good from what I hear from other users. Expensive but very durable and purpose made...my next shovel will be a Predator.

You might know CB....George Lesche is the namesake of the Lesche line, but somehow a family breakup sent him away minus his company, and he then started Predator. At least that’s the way I understand it. I’m sure there are more details than that involved but yes, Predator tools and shovels are VERY good from what I hear from other users. Expensive but very durable and purpose made...my next shovel will be a Predator.
They are great. I have the Ultra Eagle and the raptor digger. The ultra eagle is very similar to the Lesche

I use a White’s Ground Hawg shovel and love it. Works good for me in the woods and in places I have to be clean. My Buddy bought a Lowe’s shovel and cut it to his ideal digger. Both good options in my opinion.

Iowa relic, I did the same thing with the Kobalt trench spade. I modified the blade to suit me then replaced the handle with a lightweight fiberglass pole and a tight fitting aluminum insert. Also used a lot of JB Weld. I love that stuff. The shovel is also a lot lighter which means a lot to ole' guys like me.

I use the Lesche 31' T handle Relic Hunter shovel w\serrated edge for cutting roots. It is a quality shovel and handles rough ground well. It has never failed me in our Georgia Red' clay.

I use the Lesche 31' T handle Relic Hunter shovel w\serrated edge for cutting roots. It is a quality shovel and handles rough ground well. It has never failed me in our Georgia Red' clay.
Yep that’s a good shovel. Mine met its match in frozen Iowa dirt. I repaired it, then it got stolen. I’m thinking the 18” lesche would be useful. Sometimes it’s easier to cut a plug on your knees with a short shovel when there’s lots of surface roots and such.

These are a couple shop built diggers I built. Tile spade in their previous life cut down and fitted with steel handles make the perfect recovery tool. The blades are roughly the same shape as a lesche digger but about twice the size. Older the better on the blades.
HH Jeff

Attachments

• 20200402_193327.jpg
    20200402_193327.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 281