Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sidewalk removal detecting

Aarong81

I'm planning on tearing out my sidewalk that I assume is 40-50 years old or so, maybe older. The place where it is was probably used as a walking path before the cement was poured. My house was built about 1900 and my small town of Trenton, MO was first settled in 1834. I don't know if my house lot was lived on before 1900 though, it most likely was. I've never detected under a removed sidewalk before and can only imagine it would be really promising. It would be a concentrated area where coins and items would have been dropped/lost before the sidewalk was poured. Has anyone else here detected under sidewalks? Do coins continue to sink under sidewalks even though its protected from rain and cracking from dry weather? I would think everything under a sidewalk would stay just as it was when it was poured and not sink at all. That would save about 50 years or so of sinkage. After I'm satisfied that I found all the signals, I may even remove 5 inches or so and go over it again. I'm always shocked when I find an early 1800's coin assuming it should be very deep by now. Some people talk about digging wheat cents at 12" or more and they can only be about 100 years old at most and likely dropped much more recently than that.

I have hunted several places that they have removed the side walk. From what I have found I think that with the lack of water the coins will not sink any further than they did prior to the concrete. The last one I did the other day was a house that was built in the 20's not much under it but a few wheats at obout 2".

I've heard a lot about sidewalk hunting and would surely try my luck if I were you. Recently they tore out a sidewalk by an old school in our town and I got up and was out there for first light. I quickly worked about 100 yards of sidewalk without as much as one recovery. I thought for sure there would be some old stuff there. Hope you have more luck than I did.

I wonder if the ground was cut down several inches in order to pour the cement and the coins dropped at that time wold have been removed. It seems really promising because nobody has had a chance to detect those areas since they were poured before metal detectors were sold. It will be later in the spring/summer before I get around to it.

Exactly! I could see that there was dirt was removed. My thought was ....all the deep coins should be detectable! But in fact they were probably removed!
:(

That's one of Larry's faves to hunt. He's always keeping an eye out for them and getting permission to hunt. Good luck and keep us posted. HH, Nancy

I found my first IH penny (1896) under an old sidewalk. A historic town nearby was ripping them out block by block. Unfortunately I was only able to hunt the 1 block, time and opportunity didn't allow me to get the others in time. :look:

I love hunting sidewalk removal areas.I live in a very old college town about 15 miles SW of Salem, Oregon. Right here in my own city I have Barber dimes and a silver dollar from sidewalks. Same goes for Salem. Almost always the coins were nearly on the surface. I was taken aback by your post. My wife was born in Trenton but moved this way at about age ten.

Thats pretty cool, its a really small town! I think the theory that coins dont sink under sidewalks must be true then.

Aarong81,

One of the most beautiful Quarters I ever found detecting, came from under a sidewalk slab that was just removed. I figure one of two things happened, either someone who was working on pouring that slab originaly, had dropped or placed that Quarter there. Two, it was dropped near the sidewalk and over the years had worked it's way to almost dead center of the sidewalk area, that means it moved close to two feet, and only about an inch under the soil. The Quarter? A 1927 Standing Liberty. I remember I followed that walk replacment job for about 3 weeks, the Quarter was my oldest and best find, but I found a number of some silver and pennies. One thing I also noticed, I found more in the areas of corners and bus stop waiting areas. So to answer your question, for sure, you don't get hunts like that your way everyday and it's easy digging and neat. Oh yea, I asked the forman and he said Have At It........