Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

significant upgrade or not?

chipper97

:shrug:I've had an Explorer Se Pro for 2 years and love it. It has a year of warranty left. I'd like to get a new machine to extend that grace period another couple of years. I'm thinking about an E trac. I've read enough to know it won't make dead parks come alive again. So I'm just wondering though what I'll gain if anything performance wise. I've heard some conflicting reports. If the performance isn't all that compared to the Se Pro I might disregard the added security of extra warranty and get another Explorer maybe an Explorer II. With all the coil options maybe this is all I really need. In other words tell me why the E- trac would be a good fit or not. Thanks guys.

I have the Explorer 11 and the E.Trac , i used the XS and 11 and the SE from their starts and replaced them all in turn and ended up with the ET from 2008 .
At times i bought another XS or 11 and found it no difference in performance even though the ET has more settings i found no real change in it .
About 2 years ago i bought another Explorer 11 and early last year started to use it instead of the ET and found plenty with it and got used to it again , the tones are a little higher on the Explorer than the ET and i think the Explorer might be deeper on some targets like Silver or maybe that the target tones are louder , anyway i went back to the ET and found it quieter in tones and even though i have found more with the ET over the years i have to admit i find the Explorer a bit better in ways . I wont ever sell my Explorer 11 but if something comes along i will sell the ET to buy it , not that i am in the market for a replacement .

Thanks Nuke, that's good unbiased info. I've read some E trac users say that there's more tonal separation on the conductive end than with the Explorer's, that is they can tell better whether it's copper, zinc, or silver. Then there's the Explorer's silver warble that the E trac doesn't seem to have. Sort of confusing. I mean I know the Explorer warble but wonder about the greater tonal separation on the E trac. I've read conflicting accounts of one being deeper than another(understandable when folks are defending their choice in machines) but it seems to come down to a "coin toss" maybe a slight nod to the Explorers. And I have read what you mentioned about the E trac not hitting as hard as the Explorer's. I've read the E trac is more stable but that may hurt it in the depth dept. in that you can't push it as hard sensitivity wise. Still a lot to ponder. One area where the E trac has the definite advantage is it's the only model that I can buy new with warranty. I dread the thought of getting a used Explorer (or E trac)and having it die on me. But on the other hand if I get a used Explorer as a back up I have extra dough for more coils! Truly the horns of a dilemma.

Whatever you do , make sure it has a Pro coil . Best coil by far.
The tonal separation on the ET could be because of more pixels on the screen , but if your looking for Silver the E 11 is better i think . I have found that if you have blobs of Aluminium on the beach then they come in at 00 on the Ferrous and 21 to 26-7 on the Conduct . On the ET they are in the 11 to 13 lines where all or most good stuff comes in at . But then on the ET most of the good stuff is in those lines and on the E 11 they are little less clear . I would have both but my E11 is the one i would keep if push came to shove .

So to clarify, if you had to choose between the two it would be the Explorer II. You mentioned you'd had the Se Pro before I believe. Do you also prefer the II to the Se? And, why?

I would choose the E 11.

I own an Explorer II and an Etrac. The Etrac is much easier for pinpointing. It has a visual indicator and the pitch rises as the coil web is brought over the target. The Explorer II just makes the same low tone, not nearly as precise or quick. I've never owned a SE, think it might have the rise in pitch but not the visual indicator.

Thanks Bayard. I actually ended up getting a used E trac and I'm in the process of "learning the ropes" with it now. You're right the Se does rise in pitch but no visual indicator. The E trac is easier to pinpoint with the visual indicator.