Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver dime doesn't always shine

Picketwire

After tumbling to clean my dimes and quarters, upon inspection I found a 1946 and 1962 Rosevelt. I have found silver coins before that were obvious when I first saw them but these were as dirty as all the others. They didn't even stand out after tumbling. Only when I had a stack of dimes and looked at them end wise did the silver stand out from the ones with copper showing. It pays to check.

That's good news, hopefully you can remember where they were dug and can return to the site.

Nice couple of saves. I dug what turned out to be a Merc. the other day that had clay grunge all over it and as I was about to pocket as a clad dime I noticed one speck of shiny. After a pretty hard spit rubbing I got a faint hint of Mercury's head. It was also from an area I had never dug silver from so it almost made the clad pile. Would have spotted it, though, after tumbling, I guess. Had em come out black, but never a tan hard grunge like that one. HH jim tn

Where I am silver comes out silver, might be a bit blackish if soil is odd.

It takes me some time but I keep a list of odd mint struck coins and check each one before putting in rolls etc., some of those can be worth a chunk of change!!!

Where I am silver comes out silver, might be a bit blackish if soil is odd.
Pretty much the same with the silver here, too. Blackish coins seem to be most common for me when recovering any from stone/rocky kind of driveways and demo sites that had some amount of blacktop. Not sure what the deal was with the one I mentioned above, as it still hasn't cleaned up all that well using soda and vinegar. Finally got a date of 1919 off it. HH jim tn

Some of the silver in my town comes out with something like a calcified shell covering it. Buggers to clean... like you, I've had a few surprise silvers in the clad I tumble. Nice saves!