Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver dime test plot

john316mole

I have been having great success with this on relics and coins. My deepest find so far is a 1944 wheat at 7 inches. Today I checked a silver dime that I buried a couple of days ago at 9 inches. I packed soil about every inch putting it back in. the soil was sanitized of all metal. In auto+3 I heard nothing. At 27 manual just barely go a couple of clips. At 28 manual I could get chirps going back and forth and could hear the high tone. How much of a realistic test is this on a fresh planted silver? I wonder if you have to run high manual if possible to get the really deep ones?

From what I have read on the net about freshly buried coins, they dont give a real world impression of what a metal detector is capable of. I have seen several post of making a brine mix and pouring it over the site and after about 3 days, try it again. I have not done that so I dont know if it works. TMAN...

What was the actual Auto number value when you were swinging it over the coin? How long had the machine been on in Auto before you swung it over the coin? By default when you turn on your E-Trac in Auto it comes on at 16....you need to hunt or swing over the ground for a few minutes before so it can analyze the ground and set the sensitivity for that area. On the beach mine used to start at 16 and after a few minutes would work it's way up to 25-27. In manual on the beaches I can not hunt above 21.

HH

Beachcomber

to act like undisturbed dirt. Maybe if you could place a inch pvc (with a cap on the end to keep out debris) in the ground at a 45% angle then tie a dime to a string drop into the tube, but then is the dime on edge or flat when it reaches the bottom of the tube, this would leave the soil above the dime undistrubed. I have a coin garden that is about 14 years old and I used a rebar to get the depth then dropped the coins in, repacked dirt back into the small vertical hole the rebar made. I believe the less dirt that is disturbed makes a better coin garden.

realign

I thought silver did not corrode so it should not matter if was fresh buried or not. Maybe I am wrong about that though.....

Hi John..can you give us the details of your disc pattern?

Have you tried detecting it with a clear screen?

Being a 'Limey' I'm not familiar with the actual diameter of the silver coin. Can you oblige?

Lots of good advice being given, but a little more details would help us all.

As requested by Beachcomber...what is the E-Tracs Auto sensing level ?

That will give us some idea of your soil's mineralisation.

MOST IMPORTANT:- When you pinpoint the target, what depth is indicated ?

The scale is graduated in inches, down to twelve....

I suspect your reading may appear to show a greater depth...That may be ok if your coin is less than an inch in diameter.

MattR.UK.

Bill.....when chemical salts in the soil effect silver, I think you will find a chloride is produced.

It can if undisturbed for a few years, actually aid its detection, The HALO effect.........Matt

My soil stabilizes out on the auto scale around 24. I get no response at that level. Kicking it up to 28 I can hear threshold change and hear some chirps using coin program. The numbers jump around but you can see the readings good enough to show in the silver range. When i swithced to quick mask I could hear it better but the numbers stayed around 1-31 to 1-33. Why would that be so different from the discrim pattern? I plan on planting some IHs to get a feel for them deep. I did pur some salt solution on the plot yesterday and it did help in hearing it. My depth gauge was pegged out in pattern and open screen. I have been detecting 5 years but this is first time I have had titme to get serious about starting a test garden.
(My name is Brad and not John...the john316 is a Bible verse and the mole is for the mole traps I sell on ebay)
Sometime I hope to hunt with someone well seasoned on digging deep coins that knows how to interpret those sounds. This detecting sure is fun and I enjoy doing these tests and trying different settings to see what works best almost as much as doing the real thing. Thanks for all the advice.

I think it has more to do with freshly disturbed soil matrix, Ray.

Bill.....when chemical salts in the soil effect silver, I think you will find a chloride is produced.

It can if undisturbed for a few years, actually aid its detection, The HALO effect.........Matt

Thanks for the info. I guess I always thougth about the coin and not the soil.....