Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver Dollar find...in somebody's dig pile

utahshovelhead

I just have to brag about this; Friday I found an 1888 Silver Morgan 4 inches down in the dig pile of another digger. Granted there are lots of iron and brass signals where it came from but I can only imagine that someone else is using an E trac or 3030 and does not know they have to open up the 1- 37 1 -40 area of the discrimination. I did find another target around his dig hole but it was a brass object however, in this area anyone would dig the brass out ...usually.

The funny thing is...This is the second Silver Dollar I have found in this area that someone else has dug but not seen the dollar, both were left just about on top of the pile they left behind. The First one I actually showed it to the guy who dug it out and explained what it was as they are covered with black gunk and that he needed to open his discrimination up to hear it. He had a brand new CTX 3030 and let me check it out that day and I liked it enough to buy mine after trying his. Nice guy but I kept the dollar.

About 6 years ago I found a really nice Garnet ring in another dig pile about 6 inches down, they also had left the hole open. How they missed that I have no idea but thanks anyway.

I always search over other detector digs now as I have found alot of good things in and out of other digs.

Sorry for no pics...dont want to rub it in too much.

good luck,
Shov.

Excellent!

Another point to make is if you have more than one silver dollar in the hole...it will push the numbers to the left even more.

Good job :thumbup:
:)
mike

That's just crazy to miss a Morgan like that!,the best I got out of someone else's plug is a Franklin half,it was about 2 inches deeper than they dug,have also pulled 3 mercs from other people's plugs in the past,one time my son using my Etrac skipped an iffy 12 44 that I dug while following him to a new area of his permission that turned out to be a 1876 quarter,he wasn't happy when he seen what it was!lesson learned for him lol

There is always something a bit sweeter about those kinds of finds!:detecting:

Very nice job there shovelhead. A guys' gotta hate leaving a silver dollar behind. Appreciate the clean up work you're doing as well.

Rich (Utah)

I remember passing over a Ben Franklin half dollar last year - it sounded like a zinc cent and was choppy. My hunting partner got it with his AT Pro, and it had a layer of black gunk all over it, presumably lowering the conductivity.

Have since learned to check, and recheck my holes and very often I will come back to one of my plugs a week or two later and there will be a coin hiding at or near the plug!

amberjack said:
recheck holes & remember some days minelabs don't like lose dirt and coins in that dirt.

AJ[/quote

Yeah, thats the truth! When I dig a plug and "lose" the target response, its almost always because the target has dropped sideways and is covered in loose soil. Pinpointers are really, really, helpful here!

Amazingly Ive found another silver dollar this week. Thats two in close to 1 week. This one was showing 1 37 to 1 41 on the CTX at a depth at 12 inches but I know I dug it from closer to 18 inches deep cause I had to get on my knees and pinpoint down in the hole. The curser was almost a perfect 4 squares block out and the sound was very week but consistent. The numbers were consistent withing the range given. When I dug the first 12 inches away the signal sound really got good, I dug another full scoop but then I lost the sound.. I pinpointed and had to stand up to see if the target was still in the hole, I dug out another full shovel and then the pinpointer would pick up the signal even deeper. I shouldn't be surprised as all indications said Dollar but I guess I just did not think something would come up like that. I also found a standing liberty, a 40s washington quarter, also 5 silver dimes, and all kinds of other stuff same hunt. Over the years Ive found 9 Silver Dollars now. I remember wondering if Id ever find one.
How bout you guys reading this? how many Silver Dollars you count?

shov.

I've found 3 in my 40 years in the hobby. 1--1888 "O" mint mark Morgan...2--1922 no mint mark Peace. Not easy to find for me...but I don't hunt like I used to either.
Charles

got a 1921 morgan on its side about 3" down. really choppy signal and scratched it with my leshe. dang it but still happy enough to jump over the moon. using at pro on that find. v