Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver drought ends . . . and it's a good one

srf2112

I had just gotten home, dejected from being turned down to hunt a spot in a prime location. I decided to take the MXT 300 out into my backyard to put around for awhile before work. I have the 300mm coil strapped onto it so I decided to see if there were any deep targets I've missed in the umpteen times I've hunted this area. Hadn't ever hunted it much with the large coil beyond just testing it out. I also had a nice pair of Pro-Golds I picked up from my friend Del and I was using them for the first time. About a minute in I got a pretty clean signal, slightly broken at certain sweep angles and with a confused VDI. It was mostly staying in the 20's, bouncing occasionally up to the mid 70's with stops in between. P/P at 6" but when I put the DX-1 on it gave a mid-strength signal and a low VDI so I knew it was smaller than a (normal) coin and shallower. I was pretty certain it was a pulltab but since I was already on the ground I decided to check it. When I popped a plug of soil, out popped a tiny little disk. Now I've had enough heart stopping moments with similar items only to find out it was a bathroom token, small washer with the hole plugged or similar so I casually picked it up and wiped the soil off of one side and WHAM there it was . .a beautiful Roman numeral 3 inside the C ! First target dug. What a moment ! An 1857 Silver 3 cent piece 3-4" down in my own backyard !?! Upon checking the coin signal manually it appears it was sitting in the ground at a 45 degree angle or so from the signal characteristics and also had some iron interference. VDI 40-45. Del, I don't know what kind of mojo you and Patsy put on those HP's but I'd like to order some more of whatever you have please. LOL One last thing. It seems that whenever my buddy E.J. (CajunCoinHunter) makes a good silver find my turn comes up soon . . .I guess I should've seen this coming. The smallest silver coin with my largest coil . . .you just never know. Thanks for looking !

She's a beauty alright. Congrats on your find. I think you better play in your own back yard more often. :detecting:

That's so strange, Larry and I were just talking about his three cent piece this morning.

Man I wish I had a back yard like that, great find & if u want to double your money I'll give ya 6 cents for it.

WOW that's a super find.
Those are tough to come by.
Congrats.

HH

Congrats!!!!!! That is a great find and you saved a bunch on gasoline!

srf2112 said:
I decided to take the MXT 300 out into my backyard to put around for awhile before work. I have the 300mm coil strapped onto it so I decided to see if there were any deep targets I've missed in the umpteen times I've hunted this area. Hadn't ever hunted it much with the large coil beyond just testing it out. I also had a nice pair of Pro-Golds I picked up from my friend Del and I was using them for the first time.
Life is full of surprises, especially when it involves metal detecting. You sort of figure a big ol' 12" coil is overkill for your yard. :)

srf2112 said:
About a minute in I got a pretty clean signal, slightly broken at certain sweep angles and with a confused VDI. It was mostly staying in the 20's, bouncing occasionally up to the mid 70's with stops in between.
That's the kind of hunting I like. Odd-reading VDI, irregular audio response, and just enough of a 'hint' that you ought to recover the target.

srf2112 said:
An 1857 Silver 3 cent piece 3-4" down in my own backyard !?! Upon checking the coin signal manually it appears it was sitting in the ground at a 45 degree angle or so from the signal characteristics and also had some iron interference. VDI 40-45.
My first 3

Way to go ...! I never even knew there is a 3 cent coin. So many things I learn from other detectorists !!!!!!!!!1

That is a beauty Scott and silver too..... congratulations......:clapping:

Thanks everyone. The VDI/signal on this coin initially had me thinking there might be an old nickel hiding down there. The bouncy VDI's anywhere around the mid/high teens to the mid 30's with a decent signal have produced some war nickels for me in the past but the occassional jumps into the 70's actually had me pretty convinced it was trash . . . .live and learn. This was by far my oldest coin found yet.

Congrats, that is an awesome coin!

AWESOME find for sure Scott !!!!!!!!!! :clapping: Believe it or not, I found my first one (III Cent Piece 1851-0 "Go Saints") 2 hunts back at a Civil War Campsite ! I didnt even know what it was. :confused: Had to look in a book to be sure. BTW - You got a beauty.... seems to be in Outstanding conditon; mine was in pretty rough shape. CONGRATULATIONS and thanks for the shoutout.....:beers: CCH