Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver item ID help needed please

jcooking

Been detecting for a few years with another kind of machine and decided to get an SE Pro to try out this year. I was patiently waiting for the ground to thaw, spending my time reading about the machine and watching Youtube videos, hahaha. Anyways I got out for a few hours and pulled over 50 clad coins, 2 junk rings, 3 wheats,Museum of the Rockies token, my first ever Susan Anthony dollar, SE's first silver coin (64 rosie), and a silver whatsit. It looks like some sort of container or vessel, but not sure. It is marked sterling and the flower end of it is crushed and looks like at one point it was more of a bulb shape. The open end of the whatsit has crimps like it was either hooked to something or plugged with something. It is small and reminds me of a snuff bottle, but that is just a wild guess. Anyone know what this is? Thanks for looking and any help you can give on ID. Love this machine, the deep signals are a lot stronger than I am used to.
HH!
jcooking

It sure looks like a silverware handle from a knife. It is usually filled inside to make it feel solid but age and water will leach out the insides. I think they used a cement mixture inside.

Some nice finds Jon.

to sniff when they encountered the 'smells' of the day.
Back then raw sewage lined the sidewalks and baths were far and few between.

I believe they were called pomanders.

It does look too small for a knife handle now that I compare it to the dime, you might be on to something Jim. Another guess is a mirror handle.

Looks like a handle for a old hair bush. it screw into the base of the bush

Tryin to figger out what a lot o' the things are that we dig is to me, more fun that findin 'em.

There are so many different configurations from both the 19th and 18th centuries tho, not countin all the custom or home made ones,that it's difficult to find a match to your piece.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. I had another person suggest that it may be a handle to one of the tools in a manicure set. I have been looking online and it seems possible but cant find the exact one.
:thumbup:

The only thing I can surely add is that it is not a perfume item/bottle
I collect and know that for sure
I do give a vote towards the item being a handle for a manicure item.
good luck

ALL GREAT IDEAS
THEY USED A SIMILAR PATTERN ON MANY HANDLES FOR FORKS SPOONS KNIVES MIRRORS AND MORE
EXTRA THIN SO YOU DIDNT GET TOO MUCH GOOD SILVER

I know this is a old post. It looks to me as a flower holder. Fill it with water, slide the stem in. Did he say it looks like it could be hung too, maybe on the wall? The flower design on the outside seems to back my theory.

Spotted this on eBay. The handle size, minus the ripper, seems about appropriate.

Hello:

I ran across this site today (wonderful website!) and wanted to let Jcooking know (if still around) that this is a handle from a Victorian glove button hook (the hooked stem is missing).

If it were a little larger, it would be a boot or shoe button hook. I have several of these lovely repousse pieces, and most are coin or Sterling silver.