Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

silver odds and ratio

CanadaDig

Hi everyone. I have had my Etrac for 1 year and learning thru forums and experience. Im getting more comfortable every time I hunt. I would like to ask other etrac users about the odds , so I hope I get my question across correctly?

I have had ups and downs, Found 2 silvers 1 day and zero in last 6 hunts. However, I do find Wheat pennies shallow and deep , sometimes 4 per hunt. My soil content registers around 15 on etrac.

I live in Canada so Clad above Pennies are difficult to find since our coinage is Metal.

I have been hunting in this Park that is in the 1800's and so far its produced 4 silvers.
1872-Canadian Quarter
1950--Canadian Quarter
1909--half dime
1912--half dime
1905-half dime
1940-silver dime
3 silver Rings
1 silver plated Spoon
TOTAL 5

6 Canadian large cents --1880 to 1919--canada large cents
1 U.S. Indian Head--1905
8 U.S.Wheat pennies
53--1965 and earlier Canadian Cents (basically canadian Wheat era
96--1966 to 1999 Pennies
240---1999 above pennies

It would seem that finding 70 Pennies before 1960 would produce more than 6 silver coins....so Im wondering if these odds seem about right? I found the quarter and the 5 cent piece in one day and only 1 week after the etrac-----so the silver has been sparce since I have been learning.

The ratio seems to be about 12 pennies to 1 Silver----basing on 1964 and before....I dont expect to find silver everyday but just wanted your thoughts.

Last two hunts that I really found any old coins the 1st was 3 silver dimes and 1 wheat. Next hunt (spot over two days) 1 wheat, 1 IH and 1 Buff.

I'm usually about 3

Thanks guys....Im hoping its because someone cherry picked back in the 70's because my average of 11 to not good. Throw in the problem with Canada coins as basic crap steel and I feel like a Copper miner. After 1 year I finally learned what VOLUME GAIN was.....never heard a difference till I moved it to 12 and now I know what everyone has been talking about the soft sounds. This may help me.

Hmmmm.....just hunting that one park might be skewing your results. Its possible that the park has been cherry picked a little bit (?) I'd be curious what your ratio would be after 10 hunts at other areas that you researched. Youre definitely on the right track, youre diggin cool stuff and your numbers are nothing to sneeze at. Hey look at it this way, you might be due for a big day! Was it different in Canada in the 40's through the 60's than in the US, as far as what coinage they used most often, I dont know. Since Ive owned an Etrac (since April 2011), my wheat to silver ratio is 4.2 to 1. But on my last hunt, I found 4 silvers and only 2 wheats. It happens. Does that park have any wooded or out of the way areas? Sometimes nowadays those are the best bets. Especially really hilly areas if youre physically able. I usually have the best luck by trying areas that arent obvious to other detectorists. Where would the kids play, where would the teens hide?:huh: good luck to ya...

I've been keeping records of finds for the last 10+ years and my ratio is 3.03 wheaties to each silver coin.----Sometimes I'll go for what seems forever with just finding wheaties before finding more silver but when the averages are figured up, this is what it comes to.-----------Del

My wheat to silver ratio with the E-Trac is 4.4:1. Keep in mind though, I've had a ratio as good as 1:1 at one site and a 30:1 ratio at another site. I use wheat cents as an indicator of what age the silver coins may be at a particular site, not the quantity. I went three months in the Fall of 2011 without finding a single silver coin. Then I found a Mercury dime, Standing Liberty quarter, and Walking Liberty half in about an hours time. You just never know. Hang in there and keep at it.

and thats what its all about right there! nice! I think that possibility, and curiosity, is what motivates all of us.

Thanks for all your help....as I stated.....I found 2 nice silvers 1 week after getting the etrac then seemed not to find them. It may just be getting the coil over the silver to find it. I ran over this park over and over with a 5 inch sunray and stock coil. Sometimes I find things I missed with each coil. Maybe its because I came from a different direction or the moisture in the ground. We had a Drought here this Summer and now its really wet.

Big Boys Hobbies said:
Those are better odds than me. About 11 Wheaties to 1 silver for me.

Good For You

I am afraid to look because I know my ratio is way higher than any of the posts

Good Luck To All

I average 4.77 wheats for every silver coin. (It gets a little better if I count silver jewelry at 3.81 to 1.) :spin:

Best single day for silver is 5 silver coins and 2 silver rings.

Last 5 hunts

1st hunt- old house yard- 1 silver no wheats
2nd hunt-old house yard- 1 silver 2 wheats
3rd hunt-old school yard- 1 silver 4 wheats
4th hunt-old school yard- nothing but clad
5th hunt- old house yard- no silver 9 wheats and a 2 1/2 cent store token.

I don't think there is a ratio, but usually if I find wheats I'm hopeful of silver. Also 3 silver for 5 hunts don't happen regularly.

Never really stopped and tried to figure it out. To me, it really does not matter. I do this hobby for the exercise and the excitement of the finds. Silver and gold is just an added bonus.

Yer all doing better than me. I get 25:1 zincolns to memorials......:veryangry:

nge said:
Yer all doing better than me. I get 25:1 zincolns to memorials......:veryangry:

It must be Karma

I remember you posted that you started detecting when all the coins were Silver

Just Joking Hope All Your Finds Are Silver And Indians:happy:

very funny Eva. maybe tomorrow (hopefully) I will going to the state's capitol (lansing) with a couple friends. The park they are taking me to, has produced several tribes of injuns for them. the last time I was in Lansing, me and a couple other friends had written permission from the dean to hunt MSU casmpus grounds. Boy did we ever do good, injuns 2 inches deep all over the place, seated dimes, quarters, barbers, shield nickels, 2 cent pieces and nothing was any deeper than 4 inches. Sure would like to get permission there again, but not gonna happen. One in our group's mother was secretary to the dean at that time, that's how we got permission. Would love to get in there with my etrac, when I was there many moons ago, I was using the then new Fisher 1260-X......nge

nge said:
very funny Eva. maybe tomorrow (hopefully) I will going to the state's capitol (lansing) with a couple friends. The park they are taking me to, has produced several tribes of injuns for them. the last time I was in Lansing, me and a couple other friends had written permission from the dean to hunt MSU casmpus grounds. Boy did we ever do good, injuns 2 inches deep all over the place, seated dimes, quarters, barbers, shield nickels, 2 cent pieces and nothing was any deeper than 4 inches. Sure would like to get permission there again, but not gonna happen. One in our group's mother was secretary to the dean at that time, that's how we got permission. Would love to get in there with my etrac, when I was there many moons ago, I was using the then new Fisher 1260-X......nge

WOWWWW

You Go!

Make sure to Post

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

today I hunted couple old houses, I dug every coin signal I got, did not skip any thinking they were pennies....ended up with 4 silver and 6 wheats....THAT is unusal.....for digging 4 silver, I should have dug 14-16 wheats. But hey I am NOT complaining

I just had to add that I was incredulous at how successful so many of you are on your Wheat's to Silver ratio

Then i realized that i had recently posted twelve Silver Dimes with 39 Wheat's which resulted in a 3.25 ratio:hot:

Highly Unusual for me/us!!!!

But it made me realize that it was possible and that it Felt Good!

Congrats To All Of You