Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Silver signal.

Whitetail

I've been doing ok with the Etrac, but tonight I had a weird signal that certainly wasn't screaming dig me.....Here's what I remember about the signal.
I'm out tonight looking in the neighbors yard and I get this weird signal about 5" down. Kind of scratchy, but repeatable. I dig the plug and pull our a Mercury dime. I've found a lot of clad, but not a ton of silver just yet. Is this typical? Does a silver dime scream more than a clad at the same depth? I plan on planting my own tomorrow to find out, but I believe buried coins over time tend to have a different signal than freshly planted coins...don't they? I didn't notice anything else in the hole with the coin.
Does the signal tend to decrease with depth on the Etrac? I just don't have enough experience with the silver signal. I just thought the silver signal would be different and scream dig me.
Any thoughts?

I do think there is a difference but only under certain conditions. The biggest things here are

A:

What do you have the VARIABILITY set at in the Audio

B: What headphones are you using?

Assuming you are in Conduct with the Variability maxxed and you are using headphones that are much better than the ones that come with a new Etrac like the SunRay Pro Golds,

A clad dime thats been there for a while can sound a bit more solid. I mean it does not always have the the "Scratchy" sound you described. I find in my area that most of the silver is "better sounding."

I recently found an area that is producing Mercs in the twenties and thirties over the wheats by 4 to 1. There are some deep clad dimes here but for one, they seem to only run a 44 conductive while the Mercs are hitting 45 regularly. The Mercs have a "Raspy" sound VS the "Monotone" clad sound.

I have found at least a dozen Mercs at this site and have only hit a small part of it. Funny thing is the only other silver has been two War nickels.

I guess the answer is a "Yes" sometimes and other times a No.

Jeff

I respectfully disagree Jeff as for the sound. I agree that clad dimes are 99% of the time a 44, and silver is NORMALLY 45.....but I have dug a few hundred silver dimes with the etrac and I absolutely positively cannot tell a difference between a clad dime and a silver dime in the ground JUST by sound alone. I have my varibility set at 29 and anything 40 and above screams a nice high tone, quarters are unmistakable. I have dug a lot of silver dimes also at the 41 to 42 range.

But I think if you, me or anyone for that matter had their eyes closed and ran the coil over a clad dime and a silver dime your ears alone wouldn't be able to tell them apart. Now like I said earlier this is all respectfully being said, and it is how I honestly feel.

I gotta agree with Goes4ever on this one ! They "SOUND" alike in my opinion as well. Hey, I'll take them anyway they come !! Good Hunting:detecting:

Hey guys,
Thanks for the comments. I have my variability set at 28. Is this ok or should it be higher?
I am also using the headphones that came with the Etrac. Is there that big of a difference in headphones?
Terry, wondering if you still hunt exactly as you have specified on your website still or have things changed on any
of your settings.

the settings I posted there are exactly what I use today I move variability from 28-29............and yes headphones make a huge difference. They won't help you find more necessarily, but good ones just sound so darn good.

I think if you turn the gain down to 19 and run manaul sens.......you can't tell silver from clad...but with the gain down you can tell the deep ones by how quite they are.....and more than likely Wheat or silver......once they get deep...they start sounding the same...around me!

I don't know if I could tell just by listening. But doesn't it make sense that the higher the CO number the higher the tone? Please chime in Gurus. Happy Hunting.

A silver dime at only 5 inches deep should easily scream dig me.
Unless, it was on edge or nearby junk.
OR
You don't mention the variables such as AUTO/man sens., discrimination, coil, the digital ID, whether you got the weird reading at both 90 deg. sweeps, etc.

jarid, multi-tone Ferrous or multi-tone Conductive for a silver dime will both have a much 'higher' but not the highest pitched tone possible (assuming a discrimination pattern which accepts in the silver area).

Last Fall, i started experimenting with open mask 4TF and even mult-TF in nail infested areas with some early promising results and then the @#$%* Winter came in with a vengeance.
The issue with any Ferrous setting is that the tones, digital ID, depth indicator and instinct all have to be digested as to whether to dig or not.
Next detecting season will tell.